Unpopular opinion: I don't see Jon having any success HW

This, but they should have given him a tune up fight before giving him a ts. What if he flops hard at hw.
Exactly. So give him the big fight so they (UFC) gets the most money out of it. So if he flops, at least it is a big buy title fight.

To small for the division if he can barely handle punches from a fat pudgy guy like Cormier what do you think nnganou would do to him

Against Francis it will have lots of running. Miocic is more dangerous

I think he has great chances. He has a reach advantage against most and knows how to use it. Always showed great chin. DC, arguably the best wrestler at HW could never imposed his wrestling on him. Outside from some Hail Mary KO punch I don't see anyone beating Jones to a decision at HW, since they don't have the pace to have the output advantage. Right now the HW division is looking easier for him than LHW, since Jones is losing his pace and these guys were starting to get really close to taking a decision against him.

Against Stipe:
-too much wrestling to take him down at will, too much composure when it comes to striking, will walk forward... the best chance Jones has here is to finish what Cormier began, namely to Bisping his eyes.
35% winning chance

Against Ngannou:
-that's where Jones has good chances to win, of course he can get killed by Ngannou, especially as Ngannou will be the first he ever fought who has the same reach as him, Ngannou is also way bigger of a man than Jones, but outside of that he has nothing for Jones. 50/50

Against Derrick:
-he might Cormier his ass, might also get sent to the shadow realms if he tries to stand with Derrick. Jones got hit a lot lately, fortunately for him it was by blown up one-legged MW Santos and by Reyes, so his chin hold up, however there is no chance his chin holds up against Derrick (as would no human chin on Planet Earth). 50/50

Against Jairzinho:
Jairzinho is a good striker but not supreme either and doesn't have the type of power Derrick or Ngannou possess.
That's where Jones has the best chances IMO. 65/35 for Jones

Against Volkov:
Very tricky fight, if it stays on the feet, I see Volkov wining, he is significantly bigger and heavier than Jon (though he gives up a bit of reach), has crisp and composed striking, and a good gas tank. Naturally he could also get wrestlefucked to a decision or subbed. 55/45 for Jones

Of course, those are arbitrary numbers, it's just to give an overall idea of how I see these fights play out.

WHat do you think sherbros ?
So you don't see him having any success but give him a 50/50 or more against most of the division?

<WhatIsThis>

I think it's one of two things:

a) He has always found a way to win, and a move to heavyweight and added strength is the exactly right transition for him, as he might just be a better version of Stipe and DC who have found ways to be dominant at HW. The age and speed issues at LHW disappear at HW.

b) The 10 years of physical and mental wars from being on top have taken it's toll, and the weaknesses he showed in the last few LHW fights are terminal and a change in division and body transformation is just shuffling chairs on the titanic.

I personally suspect there might be a little bit of "a", but "b" is going to come swiftly without warning. Jones getting put to sleep brutally by Frank or the BB will likely be a GOAT shoop thread in the near future.

Last edited:
I am very convinced HW is an awful wasteland for talent. If Jon can look anything like his old self I think he will do extremely well. But he did seem to be declining (I guess cokeheads don’t age well?) and now has a long layoff, so that could be a recipe for disaster.

But top HWs are severely less skilled than Jones.
Last time Jones looked like his older self was against Cormier soon 4 years ago, he finished Gus but it looked more like Gus being totally washed than Jon doing actually good.
Jones is one of my favorite fighters but I'm not too hopeful for him at HW and most concerning part is he has absolutely abandoned wrestling and his striking relies on having big reach advantage.

Back