Unpopular opinion: I don't see Jon having any success HW

I am very convinced HW is an awful wasteland for talent. If Jon can look anything like his old self I think he will do extremely well. But he did seem to be declining (I guess cokeheads don’t age well?) and now has a long layoff, so that could be a recipe for disaster.

But top HWs are severely less skilled than Jones.

It's not just about skill.

To be successful in heavyweight, being big and hitting hard are a necessary prerequisite. Skill is just icing on the cake.

Jones doesn't have the necessary prerequisites to being a HW. So he's going to have a large chance of getting KO'd.

His whole career was spent beating blown up middleweights, he can't tangle with the big bois.

His single strike point fighting that he's done for most of the last 5 years will not cut it at HW.

He's going to have to take risks at HW that he normally wouldn't have to at LHW because he doesn't have the punching power necessary to keep guys like Stipe or Ngannou from coming forward.

giphy.gif

What if 250lb Jon is ragdolling 230lb Stipe and has more power not being a 205lb Skeletor. He might athletically translate well like a Porier or Rumble.

Jones adding weight and coming in larger might be much more scary than nearing 40 Cormier getting fatter. Remains to be seen and motivation is certainly a factor. He’s just been coasting, but still his coasting is enough vs many guys giving their best.

So you don't see him having any success at HW?

Then you proceed to list your opinion and give Jon the advantage or 50/50 odds in 4/5 fights?
If he wins 50% of his fights at HW, would you call that a success?

Stipe is the hardest fight for him stylistically in my opinion. It's a shame because Jon had the ability to win a heavyweight title.

I am very convinced HW is an awful wasteland for talent. If Jon can look anything like his old self I think he will do extremely well. But he did seem to be declining (I guess cokeheads don’t age well?) and now has a long layoff, so that could be a recipe for disaster.

But top HWs are severely less skilled than Jones.
How so?

Stipe is levels above Jones in boxing and pretty much matches him in wrestling. Jones only has better kicks and subs.

Blaydes is quit evenly matched in skill with Jones.

Jairzinho and Volkov are better strikers than Jon.

Cyril Gane is 100% a better striker than Jones and possibly also better at subs.

Jones is arguably the GOAT, but let’s not pretend it hasn’t been mostly because of his physical gifts at LHW. He won’t have that HW and definitely could lose to most guys in top10. I’m not sure he would beat Stipe, Francis, Blaydes, Volkov, Overeem, Lewis and Gane. If he does, he’s without a doubt the GOAT. PEDs or not

Just two weeks ago, DC said he could never get the best of Cain in training. He said he knows he couldn't beat Cain if they fought. He brought this up due to Usman and Burns training together before.

Depleted DC gave juiced up Jones some good fights. Healthy Prime Cain vs juiced up Jones would have been a fun fight and I sure as hell wouldn't have put money on that fight.
Ya I heard that too, Cain was a fucking monster sucks that all those injuries took a toll on him dude could of been even greater

Since when is this an unpopular opinion?
Most post I see on Sherdog about JBJ in HW are shitting all over him.

Jon owns HW, won’t even be close. He has more talent in his pinkie that anyone at HW
A lot of you people don't understand what the HW division is all about. It's not so much about skills as it is about chin and power. Because you think Jon is more talented than anyone else at HW, he will just roll through the division? He can get knocked into next month just as easy. And besides that, when has he ever fought in the HW division? When was his chin checked by a heavyweight? He's never punched anyone's lights out at LHW, even against a bunch of Middlewieghts but now he's going to develop HW power and keep these killers from just walking him down? Jon Jones can probably win at HW, but not consistently in my opinion. It's a whole different game.

I agree this is going to be a big mess for Jones.

He may win a fight or two but he’s off the sauce and looks very mortal against the larger lightheavies.

Jones will dominate at HW.

The only reason for his lackluster performances at LHW lately is that he's bored as hell--nobody has a chance against him.
Lol, he just lost to Reyes in his last fight and Santos could easily have gone against him too.

Against Stipe:
-too much wrestling to take him down at will, too much composure when it comes to striking, will walk forward... the best chance Jones has here is to finish what Cormier began, namely to Bisping his eyes.
35% winning chance

Against Ngannou:
-that's where Jones has good chances to win, of course he can get killed by Ngannou, especially as Ngannou will be the first he ever fought who has the same reach as him, Ngannou is also way bigger of a man than Jones, but outside of that he has nothing for Jones. 50/50

Against Derrick:
-he might Cormier his ass, might also get sent to the shadow realms if he tries to stand with Derrick. Jones got hit a lot lately, fortunately for him it was by blown up one-legged MW Santos and by Reyes, so his chin hold up, however there is no chance his chin holds up against Derrick (as would no human chin on Planet Earth). 50/50

Against Jairzinho:
Jairzinho is a good striker but not supreme either and doesn't have the type of power Derrick or Ngannou possess.
That's where Jones has the best chances IMO. 65/35 for Jones

Against Volkov:
Very tricky fight, if it stays on the feet, I see Volkov wining, he is significantly bigger and heavier than Jon (though he gives up a bit of reach), has crisp and composed striking, and a good gas tank. Naturally he could also get wrestlefucked to a decision or subbed. 55/45 for Jones

Of course, those are arbitrary numbers, it's just to give an overall idea of how I see these fights play out.

WHat do you think sherbros ?
Your post / opinion a bit confusing. You're basically saying that Stipe ( which I disagree- at this stage of career) is only guy with clear advantage over Jones. You need to( which u cant) re word your title or do some editing to your op.

.....just saying.

I think Franny the guy that could catch Jones . If Jones has put on all this weight were hearing about , I think hes too smart and complete for Lewis.

I really dont know where Stipe is at ( present) but I'm really expecting Ngannou to sleep him this time around so we'll see if that happens.

Back