Unpopular opinion - drug dealers are excessively demonised

I grew up in Las Vegas and my older brother got hooked on meth at about 13 or 14. The next 8 years of our lives was miserable because of his psychotic behavior. We had people coming and going from our house at all hours, every light bulb in the house was turned into a pipe, and just about everything we owned was stolen. My brother would sell every thing we had in our house for drugs and then blame us (my parents included) for selling it...fucking unreal. He was also an abusive psychotic piece of human shit who would often attack me, unprovoked, because his brain was swimming in meth soup.

All this being said I don't hate drug dealers simply for dealing drugs. As others have mentioned if people didn't want the drugs then there would be no need for dealers. I'm very libertarian when it comes to drugs because people shouldn't be in jail or demonized for consumption... or dealing. If someone commits a crime whether they're high, drunk, or sober, they should face the wrath of the penal system. But I don't like the notion that simply for ingestion peoples entire lives can be ruined... all this does is turn law abiding citizens into felons which pretty much ruins their chances at ever being a productive citizen.

Again, I've seen and experienced 1st hand the effects of meth on a family, but my parents tried their best to basically "appease" my brother rather than run his head into a wall. In hindsight it was the wrong thing to do, but a parents love is an amazing thing and nobody wants to see their kids struggle or effectively have to beat the living shit out of them. Unfortunately the brain is chemical whore and absolutely LOVES all kinds of chemicals and there is no way to stop it. I have no answer for the "drug problem" but I just hate the notion of demonizing or penalizing people who would otherwise be law abiding citizens.

"Drug dealers" is a pretty various wide group

drug dealers deal a product that causes hundreds if not thousands of deaths and decay within their own community whether it is directly or indirectly and the people they get their drugs from higher up the chain murder and human traffic assuredly.

the crazy thing to me is that people like the sackler family selling pills legally and causing similiar problems are not seen in the same light as illegal drug dealers/cartels even though hey might be giving opiates to even more people.
Well, time to boycott some supermarkets then, those places sell crazy toxic stuff like refined sugar, fruits coated in poison and lemonade causing heart attacks. Look into it.

Bringing thieves into the community, check

Don't care about the problems their business traffic creates in the neighborhood, check

Creates a robbery target in the neighborhood, check

Drug dealers need guns, check

They get kids who hang around in the neighborhood involved, check

Great assets to the community.

Well, time to boycott some supermarkets then, those places sell crazy toxic stuff like refined sugar, fruits coated in poison and lemonade causing heart attacks. Look into it.
That is true.

I don't think drug dealers being demonised is the issue. I think a lot of other people NOT being demonised is the problem.

Hopefully with all the information available people start making better choices about their lifes.
A few days ago I watched a video of mexican obesity problems in children (related mainly to sodas) and it sickened me how they are basically poisoning a whole generation.

Orrr get the USA to up their game and regulate that shit. The EU made the UK do that. Sadly, that won't be the case for very long.

The cocksuckers who put fentanyl in cocaine should be hanged.

That's all I know.

... Except if they outright murder people or are purposely trying to get kids hooked on them. then fuck em’.

I was reading a facebook article about how two drug dealers were deliberately locked in to a large toolbox, wheeled down to a river, and slowly drowned while they were screaming for their lives. The majority of the comments were people saying “Karma at its finest! No sympathy” etc.. I’m thinking that’s a fucking brutal way for ANYONE to go. Shit sends shivers down my spine.

At the end of the day, the dealer is providing a much wanted service. No one has a gun to the head of the consumers forcing them to buy drugs. Big pharma are basically engaging in the same shit, except of course it’s all legal.

FYI - I’m not a drug dealer.

Was it the police or a good hearted but misguided vigilante that demonized these drug dealers and offed them? Doubtful.

Have you considered that the person/people who violently killed these 2 were either drug dealers themselves or in the employ of them? I would find that probability high. They probably did it due to an unpaid debt or to collect on a bounty.

And that is just your every day ground level drug dealer violence. Moving up the food chain--every time the Mexican cartels make the news, is it because of the drugs they are selling or the innocent people they are killing?

If you drill down on it, I think you will find drug dealers are demonized more for the people they are maiming and killing than the drugs they are selling.

You're in direct competition with your rulers when you attempt to sell medication on the black market so it makes sense.

You're basically competing with a cartel that wears a suit and or lab coat.

Better make sure they get their cut or be prepared to get disappeared.

I grew up in Las Vegas and my older brother got hooked on meth at about 13 or 14. The next 8 years of our lives was miserable because of his psychotic behavior. We had people coming and going from our house at all hours, every light bulb in the house was turned into a pipe, and just about everything we owned was stolen. My brother would sell every thing we had in our house for drugs and then blame us (my parents included) for selling it...fucking unreal. He was also an abusive psychotic piece of human shit who would often attack me, unprovoked, because his brain was swimming in meth soup.

All this being said I don't hate drug dealers simply for dealing drugs. As others have mentioned if people didn't want the drugs then there would be no need for dealers. I'm very libertarian when it comes to drugs because people shouldn't be in jail or demonized for consumption... or dealing. If someone commits a crime whether they're high, drunk, or sober, they should face the wrath of the penal system. But I don't like the notion that simply for ingestion peoples entire lives can be ruined... all this does is turn law abiding citizens into felons which pretty much ruins their chances at ever being a productive citizen.

Again, I've seen and experienced 1st hand the effects of meth on a family, but my parents tried their best to basically "appease" my brother rather than run his head into a wall. In hindsight it was the wrong thing to do, but a parents love is an amazing thing and nobody wants to see their kids struggle or effectively have to beat the living shit out of them. Unfortunately the brain is chemical whore and absolutely LOVES all kinds of chemicals and there is no way to stop it. I have no answer for the "drug problem" but I just hate the notion of demonizing or penalizing people who would otherwise be law abiding citizens.

Holy shit that is a grim story. What became of your brother?

I have never really had any drug issues in my family. But in 1985 when I was 16, a neighborhood kid a grade above me in school, that I knew well got hooked on heroin. And his decent was rapid and ugly. We lived in Suburbia, and this was new to everyone there.

Our parents knew something was up before we did and told us to give him a wide berth. The kid was single-handedly responsible for a wave of petty crime in the neighborhood. Everything from hubcap rims to car stereos to lawn mowers went missing everywhere.

Finally one day about a week before school was about to break for the summer, my little brother came running home saying this kid just pushed him off his bike and took it, in clear view of several others. I quickly rode to his house and saw him with it in the garage and went to take it back and he said it was not my brothers. He went to confront me and I just threw him down, went into the garage and took the bike. By this point several others including adults were watching from the road. The kid ran onto the garage and grabbed a hammer and started coming for me. It was at this point I realized this kid was willing to fight to the death for the bike he just stole. My blood ran cold.

Fortunately the kids Dad and mom came out and intervened. They knew what was going on and were as exasperated as anyone. They were always known as good people in the neighborhood. One was a grade school vice principal and the other a kindergarten teacher. I collected my brothers bike and the crowd dispersed.

A week later when school ended, we learned that the Mom and Dad had departed with their son, leaving his little to stay with neighbors for the entire summer. She was clearly traumatized by the whole thing and never said much about it, just that they were taking him away.

A week before school started up again the parents came back with the kid. He was more or less the same kid, though quieter and more withdrawn, likely from the shame of it all. Eventually we learned that the parents had gone with him to stay with relatives who lived very remotely, where it was impossible for him to score. They dried him out and put him to work on the farm.

That kid is an actuary now, doing extremely well. His sister, interestingly, is a drug abuse counselor.

Only people who have never used drugs hate drug dealers, drug users fucking love drug dealers.

I highly doubt the drug dealers in your OP were not involved in other criminal activity. I can't imagine them being killed that way just for dealing.

my weed guy is a peach I'll be sorry to see him unemployed when it gets legalised here.

unnamed-2.jpg

Depends on the drug.

People selling crack, meth, and heroin specifically want to get people addicted so they keep coming back. Selling highly addictive drugs is most profitable because you can pretty much guarantee repeat business until the "customer" is dead or in jail.

Shit like weed and mushrooms is no big deal, imo. Unless you're involved in cartel shit, but I imagine that's less prevalent with weed being legal in so many places now.

If your selling anything harder then coke then yea you are basically profiting off of other peoples misery, but at the same time I duno I feel like a lot of those people would have fucked up their lives on other ways if it wasn't from drugs, like if you're stupid enough to smoke crack or do Heroin in the first place your probably stupid enough to get addicted to some other negative thing out there.

A lot of these opiate addicts now got addicted by prescription drugs though so if we're gonna go after drug dealers we should hold pharmaceutical companies to the same standards. At the end of the day everything is a racket, big banks, corporations, pharmaceutical companies they all do gangster shit they just pay their taxes and pay off politicians with lobbyists and shit so when they get blood on their hands the government/law looks the other way. Society demonizes drug dealers because they operate outside the system and don't pay taxes, the people in power see them as a threat because if they get enough money and power they can become a legitimate threat to the control of the government like what is happening with the cartels in Mexico.

The government goes after them so they can point the finger at them and say "these are the bad guys" which is true a lot of them are bad guys....but at the same time are they really doing worse things then the US government/big business does? It's more about the government seeing them as a potentially threat to their power and them not paying taxes on their illicit money that they see as a threat, not the drug dealing itself.

drug dealers actively contribute to the destruction of their own neighborhoods and people, in the name of profit.

that other people and institutions also do that, doesnt change what they are doing

Almost the same situation I grew up with. Still dealing with it. Meth is a hell of a drug.

I was too nice to deal drugs. I’m not too keen on having guns pointed in my face

Back