Unorthodox ways of attacking the turtle...

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by All In The Game, Oct 31, 2010.

1. All In The Game

All In The Game Green Belt

Lately when rolling with a particular partner, he's been turtleing quite a bit. I'm honestly just sort of bored with the usual ways of stopping it, anyone have some ideas for new ways to attack that might catch him off guard? I'm not really looking for new things to add to my game, just some fun things for when I train with this particular guy.

Note that I'm just a white belt, so there's a lot that I've probably not been exposed to.

2. rubenastley

rubenastley White Belt

keep hip to hip contact, if you are on his left side, slip in your hook with your left foot then use your right hand to grab his right hand and pull it left which lands you in mount

3. Genki Pseudo

Genki Pseudo Banned Banned

grab him around the waist and pick him up. you can then take his back

4. All In The Game

All In The Game Green Belt

Anyone got a vid of this? Sounds absurd/awesome.

5. crocoppertones

crocoppertones Silver Belt

go for an over under harness
    use your far knee to trap his inside knee.
    roll to your back

6. rubenastley

rubenastley White Belt

another one

keep hip to hip contact, if you are his left, use your right arm and go under his left arm pit and fiddle it through next to his right side of his head.. then use your left hand and place your forearm on his neck and connect both hands with gable grip.. compress down on his head and it flips him right into a darce choke^^

7. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

A lot of BJJ guys will try to roll from turtle into guard. If he does this and you anticipate it and stay tight to his torso you can just follow him around into side control.

8. fry_ed

fry_ed Yellow Belt

Get a quarter nelson on his far armpit, roll them towards you and take top N-S. That's what I do when I'm bored of taking their back :)

9. mrpopenfresh

mrpopenfresh Red Belt

Get one hook in and roll for a calf crusher. A super slick move.

10. notshayndavis

notshayndavis Yellow Belt

I was thinking about this just earlier today. I have a something I wanna try for shits and giggles tomorrow night. You know how the counter to you grabbing their far wrist is for them to just roll you over.

Well let them do that, but keep some tight marcelo over unders, and walk your hips away and sit them up like he shows to do in his back dvd if you ever lose your hooks.

As ridiculous as it sounds, I wanna do it to a buddy of mine that is really good with footlocks, as he tends to catch me, when I just slide my first hook in traditionally from juca back attack.

11. AbbyBJJ

AbbyBJJ Orange Belt

one thing you can do is to grab the back of his collar and yank him back/ up. This should give you enough space to then sink in your hooks.

Another thing you can do that is a little more risky is to just hop up on his back so your knees are pinching either side of his torso. He will probably respond to this by rolling over to get you off. When he does this, you should be able to feel it and be able to slip off into knee on stomach when he rolls.

12. judogido

judogido Aussie!, Aussie!, Aussie! ...

Try rolling through for a "reverse" triangle (plus armbar) aka; sankaku-jime...

13. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

^^Very cool way of attacking the turtle, which judo guys get a lot of experience with. How to armbar someone in the turtle position was actually one of the first techniques I learned in judo class.

You can also do a regular triangle, shove your far leg under his near armpit, through and out over his far shoulder, and then rotate into guard. Or shove your near leg over his far shoulder and out his near armpit, either way.

Oh, and there's also the "bow and arrow" turnover that I learned from judo, where you get perpendicular to your opponent, grab his far sleeve and pants, and drive your head into his ribs to bulldoze him over into side control.

14. Gregolian

Gregolian .45 ACP Platinum Member

My instructor told me almost literally:

Course, doesn't work if you are smaller.

15. PervertHyena

PervertHyena Yellow Belt

16. black koala

black koala Purple Belt

17. bjornvil

bjornvil Blue Belt

I learned a pretty cool way to attack the turtle from a training partner of mine which used to do a bit of Judo.

When they turtle up you go to their front like you would be going for a front head lock. Keep good pressure on them and with your right hand grab the back of their collar, four fingers in. Slip your left hand underneath his right armpit and grab his opposite lapel really low, around his bellybutton (his left lapel, the lapel on your right).

When you have these grips you throw your left leg forward, blocking his right leg from basing out as you roll and pull him to your left. You should end up in mount with a really tight lapel choke, just remember to keep the lapel tight with your left hand. :icon_chee

EDIT
    I should add that this has worked fine for me with opponents around my size. However not so well on bigger opponents who are more difficult to turn over.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  18. HEAVY GRAPPLER

HEAVY GRAPPLER Brown Belt

19. Karmeliet

Karmeliet Green Belt

Experiment with the crucifix?

20. CyberFreq

CyberFreq Blue Belt

Learn some wrestling breakdowns.

Pick a side and basically shoot a double from the knee into his hip.

Put your hands on the tops of his thighs and pull his knees out from under him. Apply leverage as needed.

Power-half nelson. Nuff said.

Attack the turtle from the front headlock. 3/4 nelson, dragging them down, etc.

Tight waistlock from the back, straight on, and jump over one of their shoulders and roll them over.