unnecessary hard sparring

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
so where does the board stand on hard sparring? I dont think all out sparring is needed. I think controlled hard sparring is best. Meaning about 50-75%, if a chance to take a big shot comes where you could really rock the guy, you still take the shot but turn the power down to about 50%.

Want to share my sparring experience with you guys. As a result of the sparring I did, I got a vision problem in my early 20s known as floaters, which typically occurs to people in their 60s+.

not going to drop gym names but I can recall a gym I went to. They had me spar hard the first day, in a attempt to "run the whiteboy" off as the coach later told me. The gym was a good gym, coach a good guy, and he taught me quite a bit. It was a boxing gym. We sparred hard regularly, every tuesday and thursday. all out, but with headgear. I always head a bloody nose, and we were allowed to continue to spar despite my nose bleeding, which was worked on in the corner in between rounds. My nose does bleed easily, but I always managed to return the favor. Coaches son was a professional boxer that did fairly well. This gym closed down back in the day, and a well known boxing club has taken its place. We were taught roughly off tyson style. Hands tucked at the chin, with the side to side movement to load hooks. This was in my early tweens, teen. 12-13 or so.

Fast fwd some years and I join my first MT gym. Absolutely no instruction, with unsupervised hard sparring. Fought after being there only 1 month. I learned how to check a kick and return a kick from the same side by it being done to me. Not someone teaching me.

Fast fwd some years. I join another MT gym. This gym had some decent instruction, but we still sparred hard, regularly with no head gear. I was the smallest guy in the gym, at about 135 at the time. Next smallest was about 170 and up from there. No one took it easy on me despite the size difference and looking like this after sparring was a regular occurrence. I can specifically recall thinking to myself man this gym is great, at least he teaches us something here and there and the sparring was supervised and we were shouted instructions at us, similar to people yelling instruction to khan during his fights. So yeah it was still a shit show.
315975_2578197620625_1374762621_n.jpg

fast fwd some years and I meet up with my current MT journey where most of you met me off the forums. I finally received correct instruction, with light sparring, and controlled hard sparring. Its funny as the more experienced I got and the farther down the MT road I went. Sparring got lighter and lighter. The majority of my injuries came from sparring not fights.

Anyways a bit of a rant, but for the newbies, you do have to spar, but you dont have to spar all out. If your in a tuff guy enviroment of only the pussies dont try to kill each other in sparring. I would suggest looking for another gym. Even more so for a beginner than someone experienced as in the beginning when you should be receiving instruction your not, and only developing bad habits that will need to be broken later on, if you stick with it long enough to even get past the "gym warrior" phase. Or you can be like me and have fucked up eyes in your 20s.

Hard sparring once a month or bi monthly is fine.

The biggest issue is most gyms normal sparring turns into hard sparing because you get some hero who acts like he's prime Mike Tyson in fights.

Hard sparring once a month or bi monthly is fine.

The biggest issue is most gyms normal sparring turns into hard sparing because you get some hero who acts like he's prime Mike Tyson in fights.

by hard sparring would you mean like what I call controlled hard sparring. Or all out sparring, if I can knock him out I will attitude.

I have my Guys go hard 1x or 2x over a 6-8 week fight camp. Controlled, monitored, hard sparring. The rest is technical and situational work.

I stop hard sparring instantly. I'll tap out.

I go to the gym to train and get better and prepare for competition, not get injured. My brain is my livelihood as an RN, I can't afford to get injured or lose my cognition from hard sparring randomly.

Every now and then is okay, controlled, agreed upon and monitored. but I do not go to training to KO or get KO'ed. Not worth it.

Hard sparring to me is all the essence of a fight, without actively trying to knock each other out.

I have my Guys go hard 1x or 2x over a 6-8 week fight camp. Controlled, monitored, hard sparring. The rest is technical and situational work.

pretty much what I call, controlled hard sparring. Proper equipment too. No headgear and 12 oz gloves is a no no.

pretty much what I call, controlled hard sparring. Proper equipment too. No headgear and 12 oz gloves is a no no.
Yeah we usually stuck with 16oz regardless of the sparring. 16oz, 14oz if you were small.

dog he won tha mundials at black belt level when he was blue belt

oddly, the school I attend hands out 12 oz gloves as a part of the sign up package to beginners. albeit they don't spar until several months after signing up, that's the gloves everyone uses

oddly, the school I attend hands out 12 oz gloves as a part of the sign up package to beginners. albeit they don't spar until several months after signing up, that's the gloves everyone uses
I'll be honest the 16oz rule can be dependent on gloves. 16oz Fairtex BGV9's would be like getting hit with 16oz bricks. I'd rather be hit with 10oz everlasts than any BGV9 in sparring lol.

You get to a point where you dont need it anymore.

But both guys who do the light sparring need to have solid full contact experience. Or it will become unrealistic sparring.

Pretty much my approach.

That photo of @shincheckin with black eyes and cuts would be completely unacceptable at my gym, none of our coaches would have let it get to that point.

I think when you've been training for a little while, you should do some hard sparring sessions just to get used to getting knocked about, but like @Frode Falch said, I don't think you'll need it when you've got some regular competition experience

Ego is the enemy of sparing. Ways to control the ego before a spar include a meditation session before hand where both guys drill the purpose of sparring without ego. And have it monitored to cut out the first sign of emotion. Can’t let it turn into a competition. Keeping it calm is hard work but the payoff is controlling emotions in a fight.

I'll be honest the 16oz rule can be dependent on gloves. 16oz Fairtex BGV9's would be like getting hit with 16oz bricks. I'd rather be hit with 10oz everlasts than any BGV9 in sparring lol.

i always do a quick glove check for everyone’s gear to be sure they’re the right weight and in good condition.

however- brand new and never been worn fairtex BVG9s aren’t allowed, period.
lol my wife has a pair of pink everlast 14 ounces that legit getting hit with feels like getting hit with lunch boxes full of cement.

my 14oz everlast (my first gloves I ever owned) feel nothing like them though

I hard spar twice a week. I love my drills and light sparring but I still need that hard sparring in quite often. I only have 6 kickboxing fights and 8 mma fights so im not at the point where hard sparring does more damage than good. I also tend to take a month off of sparring maybe 2x-3x a year. Some new guys thought I only sparred in camp but I was just resting my brain at the time lol.

There was a point in time about 2-3 years ago where I would get beat up by the experienced bigger pros and regularly look like how shincheckins picture looked. It kind of puts you at a crossroads on either getting better or getting brain damaged.
D3B8BBD7-0C24-4443-9723-1AE38C2328EB.jpeg

Then I joined max Holloway’s gym and sparred out of shape and looked like this on my second time hard sparring
852C2993-185A-4EEE-B0F2-7B231BB0FBAA.jpeg

The small mma gloves definitely mark you up more though. It was never as bad when we used 14’s-16’s

Last edited:
I hard spar twice a week. I love my drills and light sparring but I still need that hard sparring in quite often. I only have 6 kickboxing fights and 8 mma fights so im not at the point where hard sparring does more damage than good. I also tend to take a month off of sparring maybe 2x-3x a year. Some new guys thought I only sparred in camp but I was just resting my brain at the time lol.

There was a point in time about 2-3 years ago where I would get beat up by the experienced bigger pros and regularly look like how shincheckins picture looked. It kind of puts you at a crossroads on either getting better or getting brain damaged.
View attachment 874113

Then I joined max Holloway’s gym and sparred out of shape and looked like this on my second time hard sparring
View attachment 874114

The small mma gloves definitely mark you up more though. It was never as bad when we used 14’s-16’s
I feel those forehead marks, I have permanent scarring/toughened skin on my forehead from sparring cruiserweights and heavyweights. These photos gave me PTSD lmao

Hard sparring is another tool in the bag to use when appropriate. It's certainly not something for all the time, but it's also not something you need to avoid completely either.

I've not fought in 4 years, and have hardly had any real hard sparring during that time. As I'm getting back in shape, the occasional round of hard sparring will definitely benefit me and help me re-learn how it feels to be put under that pressure and deal with it.

I'm not a fan of hard sparring for beginners either, for obvious reasons, or even for guys who are likely not going to be fighting. If you're training for fun and technique, no need to put yourself at risk.

Hard sparring is another tool in the bag to use when appropriate. It's certainly not something for all the time, but it's also not something you need to avoid completely either.

I've not fought in 4 years, and have hardly had any real hard sparring during that time. As I'm getting back in shape, the occasional round of hard sparring will definitely benefit me and help me re-learn how it feels to be put under that pressure and deal with it.

I'm not a fan of hard sparring for beginners either, for obvious reasons, or even for guys who are likely not going to be fighting. If you're training for fun and technique, no need to put yourself at risk.
i don’t know you but I like you.

Back