Unleashing The Beast Within

How was Italy bro?
I'm heading back there in October
We just arrived there Friday afternoon, had a morning practice and a game on Saturday and then again on Sunday, and left on Monday morning. So, apart from a brief walk in the centre of Trento, I didn't get to see much aside from the hotel and the court. What I saw from the centre was wonderful, cobblestone streets and old building from the Italian renaissance days.

We just arrived there Friday afternoon, had a morning practice and a game on Saturday and then again on Sunday, and left on Monday morning. So, apart from a brief walk in the centre of Trento, I didn't get to see much aside from the hotel and the court. What I saw from the centre was wonderful, cobblestone streets and old building from the Italian renaissance days.

Cool. We're going to Florence, the coast and back to Chianti. Can't wait. No baby making this time though. ;-)
So it looks like my wife is torn between a trip to Britain and a trip to Greece for our next trip. The Greece trip would be much easier since it would be with our Greek friend and we would stay in a family house.

Cool. We're going to Florence, the coast and back to Chianti. Can't wait. No baby making this time though. ;-)
So it looks like my wife is torn between a trip to Britain and a trip to Greece for our next trip. The Greece trip would be much easier since it would be with our Greek friend and we would stay in a family house.
If it's in the summer, then I don't see how that could be anything but an obvious decision to make.

If it's in the summer, then I don't see how that could be anything but an obvious decision to make.
Yeah, seriously. I've lived in Britain so my interest level is pretty low.

FYI you have the near same test levels as me and I inject 120mg per week lol.

In other news, a couple of weeks ago I did blood exams, I was diagnose with subclinical hypothyroidism, I'm now on 50mg of T4 on a daily basis. I also had my total testosterone checked, result was 956 ng/dl with references ranges of 127-1020, so I guess that's pretty high.

I should do mine. In fact I was silly not to last week. I was showing the kinesiologist here how to take blood and he worked on me. I figured he got my blood so I might as well send it to be tested. Did the basic lipid profile, liver function, kidney function, TSH, CBC... Never thought to ask for total T.

FYI you have the near same test levels as me and I inject 120mg per week lol.
Lol, I guess I'm lucky on that front (which is nice, because there are a bunch of other "fronts" I'm genetically unlucky on).

I've only done total T exams once more, 6.5 years ago getting 893 ng/ml with reference ranges of 200-1200. Now I got 956 on a 127-1020 reference range. It's a bit confusing, and I think you can't compare directly the result from different labs (or even from the same lab if they are using a different test kit), maybe @NurseKnuckles knows more about that (or maybe you could ask some biochemist from the lab you're sending samples to), but rather compare to the reference range provided. If that's the case, then my result now is a lot closer to the upper reference range limit than it was back then. If not, then that still means I may have somewhat higher total T at 34.5 years of age than I did at 28.

This is interesting to me, because it is not scientifically clear if total T can be increased. We know that endogenous T production can be attenuated by various stressors (chronic sleep deprivation, chronic psychological stress, malnutrition, overtraining, etc.), but other than attenuation due to stressors, total T is supposed to be pretty stable (no big circadian or short-term fluctuations, like free T, growth hormone, etc., just a slow steady decline sometime after 25 years of age) and we don't know of any stimuli that increases it.

It would be interesting if I had older readings (for instance, a number for when I was ~18 and a number for when I was ~25) to see if this is just natural variation or if there is indeed some long-term trend, but I guess that's a moot point now.

I should do mine. In fact I was silly not to last week. I was showing the kinesiologist here how to take blood and he worked on me. I figured he got my blood so I might as well send it to be tested. Did the basic lipid profile, liver function, kidney function, TSH, CBC... Never thought to ask for total T.
Do it, bro.

...and also, maybe ask about the above subject.

Thursday, August 3

Bench Press

80x5
100x3
110x3
115x3
120x3 x3

Paused Bench
110x3
110x3
110x5

Chin-ups
x12 x5

Saturday, August 5th

Squat

100x5
120x5
140x5
150x5
160x5
170x5

Paused Bench Press
80x5
100x5
110x5 x5

Chin-ups
x14 x5

No time for anything else.

First time I put 170 on my back in 7 months. This is what they looked like:

Monday, August 14

Bench Press
(last rep paused)
80x5
100x5
110x5 x5
100x5

Squat (last rep paused)
100x5
120x5
140x5
150x5
160x5

A. Good Morning
60x10
80x10 x2

B. Pull-ups
x14 x3

A. Incline DB Flies
12x20 x3

B. Chin-ups
x10 x3

A. W's
x15 x2

B. DB Curls
x12 x2

C. Roll-outs
x20 x2

D. Wrist Rolls
5kg x1+1 x2

Training session in Croatia. Doing my best to keep in touch with training. Everything done within 1 hour 45 minutes. Dieded.

We have similar stats man....Ill trade you my deadlift for your Powerclean

at any rate i enjoy this log

We have similar stats man....Ill trade you my deadlift for your Powerclean

at any rate i enjoy this log
Thanks, man. The numbers in your log are fairly close to my maxes - outside of deadlift, which I've done very little training of (and haven't trained in years).

These days, when doing a heavy clean, the first pull is definitely my weakest part of the lift, lol. But I'll definitely take a good power clean over a good deadlift (not that I consider my power clean "good").

What is your height/bodyweight like?

Wednesday, August 16

Paused Bench Press
80x5
90x5
100x5
105x5
100x5 x2

Front Squats
100x5
120x5 x2

Chin-ups
x14 x4

A. DB Flies
12x20 x3

B. Lateral DB Raises
8/9/10 x15

C. Prone-grip Pull-aparts
MB/SMB/SMB x15

D. Wrist Rolls
10kg x1+1 x3

Got a minor mid-back spasm (right side) on the last sets of front squats. I think it's in a very similar spot as the spam I had last autumn.

At this point, training feels a bit pointless. No goals in view, other than managing to maintain what I can until I have the opportunity to put more time/energy into training. Still enjoying working out, but definitely not enjoying having zero progress.

Thanks, man. The numbers in your log are fairly close to my maxes - outside of deadlift, which I've done very little training of (and haven't trained in years).

These days, when doing a heavy clean, the first pull is definitely my weakest part of the lift, lol. But I'll definitely take a good power clean over a good deadlift (not that I consider my power clean "good").

What is your height/bodyweight like?

i am 5'9" 190 at the moment

Tuesday, August 22

Plyo Tuck Jumps

x10 x3

Hang Power Cleans
80x5 x3

Paused Bench Press
80x5
100x5 x10

Squat
100x5
120x5
140x5
155x5
165x5

Chin-ups
x15 x4

Evening session:

A. Incline DB Flies
14x15 x3

B. DB Curls
14x15 x3

C. TRX T & Y
x8+8 x3

A. Chin-ups
x13 x4

B. Lateral DB Raises
8x15 x3

C. Good Mornings
60x15 x3

Training continues to be very inconsistent. Tough week with work, psycho chic, limited free time, not enough sleep, etc.

Last edited:
Nice lifting! I'm jealous you get to include a bunch of assistance work. Just keep at it even if you can't do it as much as you would like. Maintaining is a lot better then just lettting yourself go. I know this first hand and now have a higher hill to climb. Is your lifting secondary to another sport? MMA? or do you just simply enjoy lifting heavy weight?

Nice lifting! I'm jealous you get to include a bunch of assistance work. Just keep at it even if you can't do it as much as you would like. Maintaining is a lot better then just lettting yourself go. I know this first hand and now have a higher hill to climb. Is your lifting secondary to another sport? MMA? or do you just simply enjoy lifting heavy weight?
Yeah, it depends on the day. Some days I can't get to the gym at all, sometimes I can get only enough to get a couple of lifts in, sometimes I can do a bit of assistance.

Last workout I found one hour in the evening ("found", as in "stole from my sleep", and this was directly after having dinner) and went in the gym to get in the assistance work.

Thursday, August 24

Overhead Press

60x6 x4

Friday, August 25

Squat
100x5
120x5
140x5
160x5
170x5

Bench Press (last rep paused)
100x5
110x5
100x5 x4

Low-back still doesn't feel 100% solid, but there was no low-back pain during squats. No ankle pain, or knee pain, for that matter, either. This is good news, considering I've had constant issues with one thing or another for the last 2-3 months.

Back