Unleashing The Beast Within

miaou

barely keeping it together
@Black
Reaction score
Welcome to my new log. For stories of repeated epic failure (but eventual ultimate success), please refer to my, now-completed, reconstruction project.

Stats
Height: 1.83 (6')
Weight: 89 (generally within the 86-93 / 190-205 range)
last updated: Apr 2017

Current Personal Bests:
High-bar Squat: 200, 180x6
Low-bar Squat: 200
Front Squat: 160x2
Overhead Squat: 100x5

Clean: 150
Power Clean: 125
Hang Power Clean: 120x3
Power Snatch: 87.5
Clean & Jerk: 110
DL: 200, 200 from 8-cm deficit

Overhead Press: 85
BTN Push Press: 102.5
Bench: 140

Backflip: off 2 mats
Cliff Dive: 17 m - head first
Breath-hold: 3:30

Starting Stats for 2013:
Height: 1.83 (6')
Weight: 92.5 (204 lbs - generally hovering between 190-205)

Squat: 185
Bench: N/A
DL: N/A
SOHP: 72.5

Power Cleans: 90x2
Power Snatches: 60x2
High-bar Squat: 165
Front Squat: 150
2013 Goals:
Squat: 200
DL: 200
SOHP: 85

Power Clean: 110
Power Snatch: 80

Bench: 100% intensity work without shoulder issues (120 would be great)
Sprint: 100% intensity work without hamstring issues (100-m around/under 11.5 would be great)

General Goal => strength & overall athleticism
2013 Progression:
Squat: 185 -> 190
Bench: N/A -> 110 -> 112.5
DL: N/A -> 180 -> 190 -> 200
SOHP: 72.5 -> 75 -> 77.5 -> 80

Power Clean: 90x2 -> 95 -> 105 -> 107.5 -> 110 -> 115 -> 120
Power Snatch: 60x2 - > 67.5 -> 70 -> 72.5 -> 75 -> 80 -> 82.5 -> 85
High-bar Squat: 165 -> 175 -> 180
Front Squat: 150 - > 150x2
2014 Goals:
Power Clean: 130
Power Snatch: 100
Jerk: 115
Overhead Press: 95
Squat: 180x5
- become able to sprint
- 6+ months with no major injuries
2014 Progression:
High-bar Squat: 180 -> 180x2 -> 184 -> 190
Low-bar Squat: 190 -> 200
Overhead Press: 80 -> 80x2 -> 85 -> 85
Front Squat: 150x2 - > 160 -> 160x2

Clean: 127.5 -> 130 -> 130x2 -> 135 -> 140
Power Clean: 120 -> 125
Power Snatch: 85 -> 87.5
Clean & Jerk: 0 -> 105 -> 110
2015 Goals:
High-bar Squat: 200
Overhead Press: >BW
Clean: 150
Push Press: 120
- fucking sprint
- no major injuries
2015 Progression:
High-bar Squat: 190
Low-bar Squat: 200
Front Squat: 160x2
Overhead Squat: 100x5

Clean: 140
Power Clean: 125
Power Snatch: 87.5
Clean & Jerk: 110
DL: 200 -> 200 from 8cm deficit

Overhead Press: 85
BTN Push Press 100
Bench: 112.5

*notation is: weight x reps x sets*

*ALL WEIGHTS IN KG*

Last edited:
Videos!

Squats 185 kg, 2xBW and a long-term training goal. December 1st, 2012:

2013 training highlights:

2014 training highlights:

JauntyPoint-Miaou_zps0e3925a5.jpg

Last edited:
...at the S&C place:

Power Cleans
70 x 2 x 2
80 x 2 x 2

Will be taking a rest/deload week for the lower-body.

Did a few power cleans to work on form. Form was fairly decent on most of those reps.

Soccer Class
A few sprints and work on shooting.

...at the S&C place:

Power Snatches
55 x 2 x 2
60 x F+1
60 x 2

SOHP
62.5 x 5 x 3

Chin-ups
BW x 10 x 3

DB Lateral Raises
7.5/10/10 x 10

+ a couple of 10-15m sprints

One of my goals for the next year is to run 100 m at a decent time (under 11.50? issuchathingevenpossible.gif :)), which obviously involves being able to sprint at maximal intensities with no hamstring issues. I think it's time to start incorporating a few short sprints in my training week.

Got myself some decent DOMS on my right tibialis anterior from all those soccer shots.

Good luck with your goals, man. Ill be following

hGPcE.gif

Bpp9M.gif

yoga-ball-bounce.gif

I am going to spam this log like a turd

This log was started almost 3 years ago, in February 2010. Since before I started this log, I've had significant knee and shoulder issues that posed limitations to my training (4 years ago I had a knee injury, 3.5 years ago I had surgery on both knees, took me 6+ months to be able to walk semi-normally at a slow pace, and since then have had pain and some "mobility limitations" that significantly affected my every-day life until very recently). It would not be an exaggeration to say that I've spent the best part of the last 4 years in some sort of minor or more major pain.

My main goal since the beginning of this log was to "overcome injuries, lift hard and pain-free". In addition to that, a goal I set for myself after having that surgery in mid 2009 was to get a 2xBW squat.

Yesterday, three and a half years later, I hit that 2xBW goal. It's a pretty underwhelming achievement as far as strength training goes, but I'm very happy I got here after all these years. Today I am also able to do hard upper-body training without significant shoulder issues.

The bone edemas have withstood the high-intensity, high-volume and high-frequency training of the last three months. The knee cartilage has withstood maximal front and high-bar squatting, as well as frequent power clean/snatch training. Patellar tracking is almost perfect now (right knee is pretty much 100%, left knee not quite but close). Shoulders have for the most part remained pain-free during the high intensity/frequency overhead press (and power snatch) training of the last 4 months. Chronic lower-back pain has disappeared. Posture is pretty much fixed (was horrible when I started this log). I still get some knee/bone edema pain, I still can't bench heavy, my left ankle still gives me some pain from time to time, my lower-back is still prone to become painful the moment I do something slightly wrong, and my cervical spine is fucked/very sensitive to shit, but at this point I no longer consider these serious limitations but rather common issues I'll have to work with/around.

Basically, what I'm saying is that this log has served its purpose. I'm am no longer an injured dude who cannot train and struggles to rehab his shit. It's time to start a new log, focusing on performance goals, rather than health-related ones.

TL;DR: RECONSTRUCTION COMPLETED

This was beautiful to read; it really brightened up my day. Congratulations, miaou--what you've accomplished here is no small feat. Best of luck to you in the future.

(Okay, I admit it: this was the first time I think I've ever gotten teary-eyed over someone else's log. Touche.)

Congrats on being reconstructed Miaou. I understand what you have gone through having injured my hip, knees, and back over the years. It's easy to get discouraged, but you were always working to get your body back. You've been an inspiration to us all!

Congrats man. Three years is a long time. I watched your front squad video and have a little question for you. When I tried to do the overhead squad(with a boomstick) I noticed that I leaned forward(like doing GM). Any thoughts how I could fix this?

For reference, here is the Cartos Press Program.

Press Routine (sets x reps):

Cycle 1:

Day 1: 65% (4x6)

Day 2: 70% (4x4)

Day 3: 80% (7x2)

Day 4: 90% (4x1)

Cycle 2:

Day 1: 65% (4x7)

Day 2: 70% (5x4)

Day 3: 80% (5x3)

Day 4: 90% (5x1)

At end of Cycle 2, add 5 lbs to each set and repeat.

I'm now on my 4th cycle. I have yet to fail a rep, although I have had some tough sets and reps from time to time. The only accessory I'm doing are face-pulls, rows, and some (minor) direct tricep work (not counting benching, jerking).

I started with a training max of 160 (when my best press was 155) and have just added 5lbs to the working weights since then (no new calculations).

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate all the support (this also goes to all those who posted in my old log). Reading/posting in f13 and keeping a log here has definitely had a positive influence on a number of levels in my life.

Creative Movement Class
Movement and shit. Stayed in the gymnastics room for another 20-25 mins and did a few gymnastics exercises. Managed to fall on my neck when some kid told me to try a different drill for the back-flip; it was on a thick mat so it was not that bad (some pain but nothing terrible).

Throws Class
Did a few attempts with the hammer before the class ended early due to rain. Have never thrown the hammer before, was super cool.

...at the S&C place:

Box Jumps from a seated starting position
BW x 3 x 4

Power Cleans
60 x 2 x 2
70 x 2 x 2
80 x 2 x 2

Squats
100 x 5 x 2 (high-bar)
100 x 5 (low-bar)

Good Mornings
60 x 10 x 3

BB Shrugs
120 x 15 x 2

...at the usual gym:

Seated Single-leg Leg Curls
22.5 x 12 x 4

Standing Single-leg Calf Raises
BW x 15+20 x 3

Ab-wheel Rollouts
BW+20 x 20
BW+30 x 10
BW+40 x 5

Still a deload week.

The bar generally felt heavy today. Power clean form was ok in the lighter sets but got pretty bad in the 80 kg doubles. Squats were slow; high-bar sets didn't feel good so I switched to low-bar for the last one and it felt better (but the bar was still heavy). Could be that I haven't recovered yet (it's the first week after a heavy 3-month training cycle), but it could also be that my last three days have been very heavy in terms of out-of-the-gym activities and I haven't had enough time to get some good sleep.

On an unrelated note, here is a pic of me being all red/purple-faced this saturday.

BW this morning = 92.3 kg.

For reference, here is the Cartos Press Program.

I'm now on my 4th cycle. I have yet to fail a rep, although I have had some tough sets and reps from time to time. The only accessory I'm doing are face-pulls, rows, and some (minor) direct tricep work (not counting benching, jerking).

I started with a training max of 160 (when my best press was 155) and have just added 5lbs to the working weights since then (no new calculations).

Thanks, toons! I was planning to look for that in your log.

You're currently pressing twice a week, but you're also doing other overhead work, like jerks and stuff, right? I'm currently doing 3 upper-body sessions per week and treating bench as an assistance-only lift. If you devoted 3 sessions per week for overhead work, would you just run each training day from this program in turn (effectively running ~2 cycles every 3 weeks)?

Congrats man. Three years is a long time. I watched your front squad video and have a little question for you. When I tried to do the overhead squad(with a boomstick) I noticed that I leaned forward(like doing GM). Any thoughts how I could fix this?

Thanks! You'll probably have to post a form-check vid for that.

^ reply posted in your log.

Last edited:
Thanks, toons! I was planning to look for that in your log.

You're currently pressing twice a week, but you're also doing other overhead work, like jerks and stuff, right? I'm currently doing 3 upper-body sessions per week and treating bench as an assistance-only lift. If you devoted 3 sessions per week for overhead work, would you just run each training day from this program in turn (effectively running ~2 cycles every 3 weeks)?

I press twice a week and bench twice a week. I also do overhead work on Saturdays (axle jerk or log push press) but it's not following any planned progression. I do not jerk frequently. When I set those jerk PRs a few weeks back, I did that on whim since the benches were all taken.

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with having three overhead sessions following the Cratos program, but I can't really comment on that since I haven't run it that way. However, if I were to train overhead 3x a week with some sort of planned progression, I'd probably do a 2-day with the strict press, and a third day following a separate progression with the push press or jerk.

Sweet new log, feel your pain on the bench.. I'm just scared of it now.

Good luck miaou, you're already a beast on the squat despite all the injuries.

Throws Class
First class on the javelin throw. Pretty cool stuff. Throws were never something that interested me, but after being exposed to them for the past couple of months I'm getting to really like them.

Power Snatches
50 x 2
55 x 2 x 2
50 x 2

SOHP
50 x 6 x 4

Seated Cable Rows (narrow grip)
50 x 12 x 3

Paused Bench
50 x 5 x 3

Band Pullaparts
MB x 10 x 3

Crossover Flies
10 x 12 x 2

BB Curls
48 x 8 x 2

Triceps Pushdowns
smth x 12 x 2

Power snatch form was sloppy. SOHP was ok, but a bit heavier than I would expect. The exercises after SOHP were superset with one another to save time.

I've been feeling pretty tired/battered the last 3-4 days. I'm actually considering taking a couple of days completely off.

Last edited:
Back