Social University of California abandons ACT/SAT

b8c71400-db0c-4240-964c-cbfa325094e6.png

Untitled-1.jpg

Legacies are a bigger factor in admissions than affirmative action. Why doesn't the anti-AA crowd go after the preferential treatment of (often white) legacy students?
Fascinating graph regarding Notre Dame. I had a kid that was adamant that he didn't want to go Notre Dame because his dad went there. When all was said in done, he graduated from Notre Dame.

Oh fuck off, you act like those groups are staying 400 years behind and couldn't catch up and still living in the stone age. Racial segregation is real - this I agree, but 400 years gap? that's just a wild, hyperbolic statement on your part.

Systemic effects are passed generations . Don't act like not being able to learn basic education for hundred of years has no effect on groups of people. How is that hyperbole?

You must be from the group that benefited from this.

It's is a really inexact science the way kids are admitted into colleges. On the surface it seems fine just to admit the kids with the best grades and SAT/ACT scores. Only when you dig a little deeper you see it's not that simple. Here is what I mean:

One of my kids roommates in her sorority when to the same high school as the Lori Laughlin kids and many of the others that cheated to get into schools. It was in a fancy area and the school was excellent. But most of these kids had separate tutors for english, math, chemistry and whatever else they needed. They all had tutors for the SATs or took a prep class. In other words they had all the help they could ask for.

Contract with someone from a rural area. Schools are lees good and you can't get tutors for chemistry and such. Now if your family is stretched for money then I'm guessing no SAT prep class. If your family doesn't prize higher education that makes it even harder.

It's just not as easy for poor and rural children to do as well as the more affluent.

Don't tell people this. They think everyone has the same opportunities .

Why not deal with the source of the problem? It starts at home.

I don't know if I agree with them getting rid of those test, however certain groups of people were set back over 400 yrs in America in education . The other group obviously took advantage of this for the 400yrs.

Didn't seem to affect their ability to succeed in sports. Doesn't seem to affect Asians (from Asia) with barely passable English ability scoring high except on the English portion. Also, do you have a copy of the SAT from 350 years ago? Asking for a friend.

Why doesn't the anti-AA crowd go after the preferential treatment of (often white) legacy students?

Probably because there aren't laws against helping out pals, whereas there are laws against racial discrimination (the latter just are selectively enforced).

The University of California voted earlier today to eliminate SAT/ACT scores in college admissions due to concerns that they are unfair to poor, blacks, and Hispanics.

Seems like an easy way to "enhance diversity" and avoid lawsuits when Asians with superior credentials are discriminated against.

Only a matter of time

5509d60069bedd1722ca3573
White admissions in California top schools are about to go up. People can try to scapegoat Black people but make no mistake, people getting high SAT grades take away slots wealthy people with connections which in America, is usually white Americans.

Back