Social University of California abandons ACT/SAT

Honestly, FUCK any test that isn't a test of your thinking vs your knowing. Literally anyone can google an answer. I hate these cisco tests that want you to know the time out of some random function that nobody knows or uses.

I don't know if I agree with them getting rid of those test, however certain groups of people were set back over 400 yrs in America in education . The other group obviously took advantage of this for the 400yrs.

Also going to college is not for everyone, and alot of the major fortune 500 companies are moving away from got my people with degrees and people who actually have experience in their fields.
Oh fuck off, you act like those groups are staying 400 years behind and couldn't catch up and still living in the stone age. Racial segregation is real - this I agree, but 400 years gap? that's just a wild, hyperbolic statement on your part.

This is good news for those complaining about tuition costs imo. Your degree wasn't valuable because of the actual education you got, its value was based mostly on exclusive admission standards. Now that those are gone, your degree is worthless and you don't need to go into debt getting one. Jobs can give their own aptitude tests and judge on work experience for hiring.

What are they going to do when Asians score higher in Math and Science?
Call them white supremacists and send them to internment camps.

Berkeley and UCLA hold the the top 2 public university slots and are ranked 20 and 22 across all universities nationally. If they want to develop their own entry exam and no longer feel that the SAT and ACT are worthwhile then their judgment should count for more than most.
They are not continuing it because of the racial disparities in the state's test scores. Somehow a measure of students’ reading and algebra ability is racist. If they replace it with an exam that somehow all groups score equally well on, then it’s not going to be much of an exam.

Some people are incredibly bright who just aren't good test takers.

Daniel Tosh: "Some people say they're bad test takers, you mean you're stupid. Oh, you struggle with that part where we find out what you know?"

They are not continuing it because of the racial disparities in the state's test scores. Somehow a measure of students’ reading and algebra ability is racist. If they replace it with an exam that somehow all groups score equally well on, then it’s not going to be much of an exam.
Personally, the only good argument against this is that UC's own academic senate isn't on board:
https://www.politico.com/states/cal...fornia-eliminates-sat-act-requirement-1285435
In a 200-page report released January, the academic senate’s Standardized Testing Task Force argued that dropping the tests without another option in place would result in lower student GPAs after their first years, lower probability of graduating within seven years and lower GPAs at graduation.

Kim Wilcox, chancellor of UC Riverside, argued that his campus has been able to recruit and support a diverse student body, despite the school’s reliance on standardized tests in admissions.
Every other criticism is guess work until UC actually develops and implements a test. I'm less certain how they'll go about coming up with something that is more fair with math (but that doesn't mean such a test is impossible to develop), but it's not that hard to imagine something for English. For example, developing a test with less focus on vocabulary but with more focus on critical thinking would help avoid the disadvantage that some students may have from a lingering language barrier.

Daniel Tosh: "Some people say they're bad test takers, you mean you're stupid. Oh, you struggle with that part where we find out what you know?"

Tosh was the funniest standup IMO, I love his show but wish he would do more standup. He only does a few shows a year.

Sure, now instead of hard work, studying and intelligence being the main criteria for acceptance to colleges it will be socioeconomic status and race.
b8c71400-db0c-4240-964c-cbfa325094e6.png

Untitled-1.jpg

Legacies are a bigger factor in admissions than affirmative action. Why doesn't the anti-AA crowd go after the preferential treatment of (often white) legacy students?

It's is a really inexact science the way kids are admitted into colleges. On the surface it seems fine just to admit the kids with the best grades and SAT/ACT scores. Only when you dig a little deeper you see it's not that simple. Here is what I mean:

One of my kids roommates in her sorority when to the same high school as the Lori Laughlin kids and many of the others that cheated to get into schools. It was in a fancy area and the school was excellent. But most of these kids had separate tutors for english, math, chemistry and whatever else they needed. They all had tutors for the SATs or took a prep class. In other words they had all the help they could ask for.

Contract with someone from a rural area. Schools are lees good and you can't get tutors for chemistry and such. Now if your family is stretched for money then I'm guessing no SAT prep class. If your family doesn't prize higher education that makes it even harder.

It's just not as easy for poor and rural children to do as well as the more affluent.

Personally, the only good argument against this is that UC's own academic senate isn't on board:
https://www.politico.com/states/cal...fornia-eliminates-sat-act-requirement-1285435

Every other criticism is guess work until UC actually develops and implements a test. I'm less certain how they'll go about coming up with something that is more fair with math (but that doesn't mean such a test is impossible to develop), but it's not that hard to imagine something for English. For example, developing a test with less focus on vocabulary but with more focus on critical thinking would help avoid the disadvantage that some students may have from a lingering language barrier.
Why would African Americans who grow up in the US have a language barrier? Also, the ACT doesn’t test vocabulary. It has a reading section that measures comprehension and an English section more focused on grammar. These are important skills to have for college imo. Adding a critical thinking section like on the LSAT would be fine, but minorities as a group will still be destroyed by this.

Why would African Americans who grow up in the US have a language barrier? Also, the ACT doesn’t test vocabulary. It has a reading section that measures comprehension and an English section more focused on grammar. These are important skills to have for college imo. Adding a critical thinking section like on the LSAT would be fine, but minorities as a group will still be destroyed by this.
It was just one example of how the focus of a test could be shifted, and why are you focusing on just African Americans?
“We consider the use of the exam to be an antiquated approach to admissions, and one that undermines equity and ignores appropriate indicators of college aptitude,” said Frances Contreras, a UC San Diego professor and co-chair of the UC Chicano/Latino Advisory Council, during public comment. “We asked the question, what is added value?”
And your worries are as yet unfounded because you don't actually know what their new test looks like.

And your worries are as yet unfounded because you don't actually know what their new test looks like.

If there is even a new test.

You can’t have a meaningful test that measures college readiness where all racial groups score equally because that’s just not reality.

as a professor, my students are dumb as shit... this goes far beyond the sat/act...which has gotten markedly easier over the years. academia used to be for the academics...now the whole herd comes

California and other states just gave up trying to get black and hispanic SATs up so they could get in to universities. They know it's a lost cause hence why the scraped it. No biggie. Universities are becoming irrelevant. In the past 30 years they've morphed into businesses who hook students on debt and give them worthless degrees in tranny studies.

The only thing of value at these universities is the STEM departments. Once that's gone the university is finished.

Smart people will do what they've always done. Start their own educational systems (and lure those STEM professors away) to teach their children the important things in life.

Back