Social University of California abandons ACT/SAT

Sure, now instead of hard work, studying and intelligence being the main criteria for acceptance to colleges it will be socioeconomic status and race.

if im not mistaken, theyre phasing it out as a REQUIREMENT for applicants. so an underprivileged student who perhaps didnt take the test at all could still be considered for admission.
if i understand it correctly, people will still be admitted by evaluating their testing scores at least for the next few years.
The university system is also developing its own testing system. i think this has less to do with helping the underprivileged (what a terrible thing huh) than it does stepping away from standardized SAT/ACT tests and shifting to an in-house system.

The only Asians the UC wants is those from Asia paying those big out of State dollars. They don't give a fuck about Asian Americans.

they are in a no win situation. I think baseball has the same issue. 80% of the players are Latin and 75% of them do not speak English. much harder for a little kid to be a fan

Lol, what....

The marketing game of MLB is weak as hell. I bet most Americans have never heard of Mike Trout yet he is the face of baseball. Most have heard of LeBron James and Tom Brady.

Can't take kids to games often when its 200 to 300 a game for a family of four. Might also have something to do with it.

I don't know if I agree with them getting rid of those test, however certain groups of people were set back over 400 yrs in America in education . The other group obviously took advantage of this for the 400yrs.

Also going to college is not for everyone, and alot of the major fortune 500 companies are moving away from got my people with degrees and people who actually have experience in their fields.
pretty sure nobody has been to college for 400 years. Van Wilder was closest at 7 years

Looks like the bot broke.

I don't know if I agree with them getting rid of those test, however certain groups of people were set back over 400 yrs in America in education . The other group obviously took advantage of this for the 400yrs.

Also going to college is not for everyone, and alot of the major fortune 500 companies are moving away from got my people with degrees and people who actually have experience in their fields.

Also going to college is not for everyone, and alot of the major co

Good, get rid of it. Some of our great minds didn't even go to college lol.

can you imagine how many leftists have spent literally decades behind the scenes trying to rework standardized tests in order to back into the preferred outcomes? they finally gave up and are now just cancelling them.
The tests are dumb, especially how they piled time up the past 30 years. Now they're like poops blacks and Hispanics suck at them, so uh tests are now bad umkay. I don't like tests either but giving poor preforming students TS another excuse is only going to make them not achieve. Which is what the left has been great at, coddling and hindering academic growth

Lol, what....

The marketing game of MLB is weak as hell. I bet most Americans have never heard of Mike Trout yet he is the face of baseball. Most have heard of LeBron James and Tom Brady.

Can't take kids to games often when its 200 to 300 a game for a family of four. Might also have something to do with it.

MLB and NHL have terrible marketing. They were so much better in the 90s. The problem with Trout is he's an introvert and doesn't care about making money, sponsorships, or being famous. If he had a Bryce Harper attitude he'd be huge. Bryce on the other hand is a 1 year wonder so he can't back up his persona with results.

The University of California voted earlier today to eliminate SAT/ACT scores in college admissions due to concerns that they are unfair to poor, blacks, and Hispanics.

Seems like an easy way to "enhance diversity" and avoid lawsuits when Asians with superior credentials are discriminated against.

Only a matter of time

5509d60069bedd1722ca3573

pretty sure nobody has been to college for 400 years. Van Wilder was closest at 7 years

Education has always been around.

It's sad.

Liberals are insistently chipping away at our meritocracy. If this progresses, ultimately we won't be any different than the Chinese. Most citizens' privilege in life will be determined entirely by their relationship to someone with power in the government.

%E6%88%91%E7%88%B8%E6%98%AF%E6%9D%8E%E5%88%9A.jpg

Sounds like UC will be implementing their own test, which probably will be at a cost to applicants to subvert testing fees from the college board to UC itself. I actually like the idea of getting rid of standardized entry tests and allow universities to implement their own based on the major an applicant is pursuing.

However, its also Important to note:

"The decision, however, ran counter to a recommendation from the system’s faculty senate, which voted in April to keep the SAT and ACT. A faculty task force commissioned to study the impact of standardized tests found that they predict college success within the University of California system more effectively than high school grades or other measures.

In fact, the task force found that in many cases the tests gave a leg up to black, Latino and low-income students by offering an additional metric for admissions officers who might have rejected them because their grades did not meet the university’s threshold."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/05/21/us/university-california-sat-act.amp.html

imagine being treated by a doctor who only got his license because diversity quotas had to be met.

Dumb people always have a million excuses for why they score poorly. It's mental gymnastics to buttress the hit to their ego. There's decades of psychology research on intelligence testing, it's one of the most studied predictors of future performance and it remains accurate over decades. There's very few tools that can do that. Any kind of aggregate score that shows you a snapshot of a person's performance over a long period of time and in a variety of situations can give you an idea of their intelligence and willingness to work e.g. high school performance, GPA, etc. There's no point debating with ordinary people about it because they don't even have the capacity to comprehend these concepts, have never read research in their lives, don't care, are not rational people in any way, etc. Dumb people are aggravating on a number of levels. With intelligent peers, there are issues too though. Big egos, making their education the central part of their identity, trying to use their identity to support bullshit arguments (appeal to authority) e.g. "I'm a scientist!" followed by "Insert unrelated fallacious argument in a field they're not trained in". There's a big humility shortage among many masters / PhD holders.

When we're talking about "hidden gems" among the poor, we're talking about soft barriers e.g. the family is checked out or dysfunctional, the child is unmotivated or lacks self-confidence in applying for harder universities, etc. Basically you have trouble getting the hidden gem into the door. But when you do get them in the door and you test them, they should test well. If they don't perform well, they're not a "hidden gem" at all - just another ghetto kid. In the ghetto, dumb and dysfunctional people reproduce from generation to generation. It's not realistic to expect one generation to suddenly be geniuses; intelligence is mostly hereditary. Usually you'll find your minority geniuses among legal immigrant families, the parents are exceptional in one way or another because they managed to be accepted by the stringent US immigration system. Usually they'll be university educated, or at least very hardworking and determined.

Future eugenist imo

Berkeley and UCLA hold the the top 2 public university slots and are ranked 20 and 22 across all universities nationally. If they want to develop their own entry exam and no longer feel that the SAT and ACT are worthwhile then their judgment should count for more than most.

Back