Universities have Video Gamer Scholarships

Discussion in 'The Arcade' started by Make-U-Tap, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Make-U-Tap

Make-U-Tap Anti Social People Person

This story/podcast from ESPN Outside the lines sheds light on a movement I've felt has been coming in some sort for the better part of a decade. I wanted to share to "raise awareness". (not cozy with that term) Either way..my main point of this subject is to simply ask..Is video gaming a sport?

Full Disclosure: My 1st in-home video gaming experience was in 1982 with the Atari 2600.(Yep..I'm old) Since then I've been 'hooked'. I'm glad gaming is getting some recognition because I do think you need certain skills (and tactics) to succeed, however I'm not ready to call it a sport but damn I'm closer than I have ever been.

Again..I ask..is video gaming a sport? And do you like/dislike athletic college scholarships being offered to gamers?

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=12118095 This story also addresses "Gamergate" as well..although not in-depth.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sport

: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other

: sports in general

: a physical activity (such as hunting, fishing, running, swimming, etc.) that is done for enjoyment

2. Last Samurai

Last Samurai Gold Belt

you're no athlete if you can't bench teh 275

3. Gambledub

Gambledub Brown Belt

Meh more of a sport than poker, horse riding, synchronized swimming, chess and nascar imo.

4. Daniel Tapia

Daniel Tapia Green Belt

Well, it's a mind sport or an e-sport.

I'm glad e-sports are finally getting the credit they deserve. There are a lot of talented people playing and watching them is entertaining. I don't watch e-sports myself but I know there's a market.

5. Basil**

Basil** Banned Banned

Ironic in a way. I can't think of anything that hurt my grades more in school than gaming when I should have been studying or doing homework.

6. Madmick

Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

It's not a sport. Just because something involves competition doesn't make it a sport. Chess is not a sport. Darts are not a sport. Bowling is not a sport. Video games are not a sport.

It is cool to see such a popular competitive culture grow and finally get more coverage, but the only reason these people are paying attention is because the money is getting so big that they can't ignore it, anymore. They hold gaming and gamers in contempt. That will change with future generations, but for now, I begrudgingly accept the progression. It's like when ESPN finally struck the deal with Sherdog and started covering MMA after calling it "human c*ckfighting" for so long. I was glad for the increased coverage, but I've never forgotten. Fuck ESPN for that.

7. Cyke_out

Cyke_out Brown Belt

On one hand, it requires sharp, fast reflexes and quick decision making abilities. You need insane hand eye coordination and muscle memory trained like any other physical sports.

On the other hand, it's still not a sport. It is a competition and is worthy of recognition and can be a blast to watch if you follow the game and can appreciate the skill level involved. If ESPN shows other competitions that aren't sports, then it can show video games too.