Unimpressive TUF Showing Redeemed in UFC

Good thread reminding us that TUF, despite the drama nonsense, delivers some very worthwhile talent. I just wish they'd show more tech/ training and less nonsense and posturing.

LOL STFU....Khabib laughs at your pathetic comment

pahetic comment?

ok, ill take the bait?...who does Khabib fight for a #1 contender bout then

if Johnson beats Thomson, hes ahead of Cerrone/Miller winner.

only other option is Benson/Rustam winner

Rashad, Michael Johnson, Kelvin Gastelum, TJ Dillashaw, Daron Cruickshank, Caceres all were extremely underwhelming in TUF's

This is who I thought this thread was about.

TUF has uncovered some diamonds in the rough for sure, but it's main purpose (besides fucking up the title picture) still seems to be to build recognition for a chosen ringer at the expense of "entertaining" journeymen and cans.
There is rarely ringer in TUF especially on seasons they have to fight to get in the house. Kelvin Gastelum was bottom pick of his season and won. Even when there is a top prospect they rarely wind up panning out and get beat by the other prospects on the show.

Example: This season before the first episode everyone was talking about former Bellator champ Lymon Good being the favorite for this season. Good failed to even make it in the house.

Rashad, Michael Johnson, Kelvin Gastelum, TJ Dillashaw, Daron Cruickshank, Caceres all were extremely underwhelming in TUF's

Rashad and Gastelum won the whole thing. In Gastelum's case he finished everyone in the house. Dillashaw and Johnson made it to the finals. I would say all of them are far from underwhelming.

Michael Johnson.

I was impressed with nothing about this guy during his time on the show. His striking has improved dramatically, and he's become far more aggressive.

Kevin Gastelum showed impressive wrestling and boxing skills, and the only people who expected him not to win in the finals against Hall were naive hype-gobbling doobs.

A lot of them surprised us but perhaps the best ones...

Kenny florian.
Matt brown
Alex caceres

There is rarely ringer in TUF especially on seasons they have to fight to get in the house. Kelvin Gastelum was bottom pick of his season and won. Even when there is a top prospect they rarely wind up panning out and get beat by the other prospects on the show.

Example: This season before the first episode everyone was talking about former Bellator champ Lymon Good being the favorite for this season. Good failed to even make it in the house.

I know nothing about the fighter to whom Lymon Good lost, but I'd presume that the UFC opted to pit him against the highest prospect there in the hopes that he would lose and earn them a free opportunity to diminish Bellator.

Rashad and Gastelum won the whole thing. In Gastelum's case he finished everyone in the house. Dillashaw and Johnson made it to the finals. I would say all of them are far from underwhelming.
Kevin Gastelum showed impressive wrestling and boxing skills, and the only people who expected him not to win in the finals against Hall were naive hype-gobbling doobs.
Rashad was a gassed, dancing idiot. Kelvin, really didnt look too impressive. I liked his grappling but his striking was to be desired. Same thing could be said about Dillashaw. Johnson, just didnt seem to have the "it" factor, but hes put it all together.

In other words, I never expected any of these guys to ever make it to the top 10.

That was Season 9 and it's a good thing too. The UFC was pretty transparent in its attempt to pump up the Brits that season and Bendo would have likely run through that competition.

It would've been awesome. lol

Idk about Cruickshank. After his fight to get in the house I thought he might could win the whole show.. Then in his fight with Vick, he was winning the whole round before the knee out of nowhere..

How about Ryan Jimmo? Lost his entry fight on S08 & now besides Bader (the winner of the show) he's the only LHW from the show still in the UFC.

Marcus Brimage, with the exception of the McGregor fight, he has shown discipline and good standup. His takedown defense against Hettes was awesome. If he comes into the fight without emotion he has shown that he can beat solid fighters. The drop to Bantamweight will help him tremendously. Dude was a really small FW beating tough guys like Hettes and Blanco. He lost early on Tuf but is now 3-1 in the UFC.

Florian made it to the finals, but lets be honest he looked like shit. Just a skinny dude with sharp elbows who got dominated in the finals with ease.

His improvements from what he was like on TUF to being a multiple time title contender putting up competitive fights with Penn and Aldo was pretty amazing.

Well he was only fighting 30 pounds above his weight class...don't be too easy on the guy man.

caman, he was fighting at MW against prime Diego sanchez

Well he was only fighting 30 pounds above his weight class...don't be too easy on the guy man.

Settle down fellas. Not insulting Kenny, just stating facts. No need to get defensive. Literally nobody can watch Florian during TUF and think "Wow, that guy is going to be really good." - yet he turned in a very, very good career. That's the purpose of this thread.

This thread is reminding me of how many great fighters came from/through tuf.

Alsp I didn't realize Bendo was ever going to be on tuf?!?!

I didn't expect Meathead (Matt Mitrione) to even get 1 UFC fight let alone 10 while going 7-3

Good call.

I thought he'd get a few fights (being in a shallow division and all) but end up 1-2 or 0-3 or something like that.

Instead he's had a decent career.

Back