Unifying hands and feet.

WestCoastTKO

White Belt
Reaction score
as a Kid I had a background in TKD and took Kickboxing for the past 6 years. my problem is that when Sparring I throw lots of kicks, Roundkicks push kicks back kicks jumping kicks you name it Ive hit people with it. Problem is when I firing my kicks I rarely land any sort of hand combinations other than a jab and I notice that I never land my right hand, When we get into just boxing matchs my hands flow quite freely and with good power. The only time I get equal proficiency with my hands and feet is with padwork. Other than that If its a kickboxing match im almost all kicks with lots for punches thrown but little landed, especially with my right.

any help?

Work on starting your combos with punches, and add in kicks to end the combos. The punches don't even have to land, just make sure you throw them.

think about what combinations work

my favorite;
leg kick (his body hopefully buckles downward) Upward (catch him when he is buckling down to bring his head up exposing the jaw), and Cross (to exposed jaw)

I used to worry alot about improving the fluidity of my punch to kick and vice versa transitions, then I realized to just use the right combos...

example, a left jab right leg kick works perfect,just the right range and the jab puts your body at a good position for a right kick
right cross and left body kick doesnt work as well (at least not for me) because if i can reach him with a cross, my longer legs would be too close for a body kick. (unless i threw a lazy cross in the air away from range to get his attention and followed up immediately with a left rib kick)

Dude, you're not reaching with your punches because you're staying in kicking range. Don't bother with them until the opponent comes closer. Or throw them even though they won't hit, just to keep him at bay, if you'd prefer to stay in kicking range. You can't ever expect your hands and feet to be useful striking tools at the same time because of their great difference in reach.

think about what combinations work

my favorite;
leg kick (his body hopefully buckles downward) Upward (catch him when he is buckling down to bring his head up exposing the jaw), and Cross (to exposed jaw)

I used to worry alot about improving the fluidity of my punch to kick and vice versa transitions, then I realized to just use the right combos...

example, a left jab right leg kick works perfect,just the right range and the jab puts your body at a good position for a right kick
right cross and left body kick doesnt work as well (at least not for me) because if i can reach him with a cross, my longer legs would be too close for a body kick. (unless i threw a lazy cross in the air away from range to get his attention and followed up immediately with a left rib kick)

How about a cross followed by a lead leg kick? To me that would be more ideal cuz the lead leg kick would be easier and more likely to land.

It's pretty simple, just work your hands, and learn how to adapt your kicks to a punching stance as well.

Dont get discouraged if you feel like your hands dont equate your hands. Your base will most likely always be stronger than somethin you add to it.

My friend and I have been doing martial arts since we were 5, him Muay Thai, me Kenpo.
His hands will never be as good as mine, and my kicks will never be as good as his.

Both of us are great at both, but it's very apparent where our bases our. Don't forget yours.

Last edited:
Dude, you're not reaching with your punches because you're staying in kicking range. Don't bother with them until the opponent comes closer. Or throw them even though they won't hit, just to keep him at bay, if you'd prefer to stay in kicking range. You can't ever expect your hands and feet to be useful striking tools at the same time because of their great difference in reach.

Sure you can. You can also expect knees and elbows to be effective tools in the same range as punches.

Back