Unfamilar Historical Events

The lost city of Atlantis is real

no the caribbean tourist spot

Was this during the Greco-Persian war?

Speaking of times of antiquity, I’m assuming people know even less of the Japanese Invasion of Korea during the 16th Century. Another fascinating war that involved European fire arms, Chinese and Korean artillery, primitive rocket artillery, grenades, along with spears, samurai swords, and bows. There was also a ship that looked like a turtle. It was larger in scale than any European conflict during the same period. It is widely accepted that the Japanese had the advantage on land, winning most of the major battles, but they were cut off because Korean dominance at sea made it difficult for them to send supplies thanks to the genius of Admiral Lee.

This also reminded me that I know painfully little of the Napoleonic wars. I just know that Napoleon failed at invading Russia and he lost at Waterloo.

I believe it was after the Persian war. If my memory is right the battle was actually in Sparta itself.

There was also a ship that looked like a turtle. It was larger in scale than any European conflict during the same period. It is widely accepted that the Japanese had the advantage on land, winning most of the major battles, but they were cut off because Korean dominance at sea made it difficult for them to send supplies thanks to the genius of Admiral Lee.
There was a pretty good movie made about Admiral Lee starring the guy from Old Boy.

Lot of fucked up shit happened to the guy.

I believe it was after the Persian war. If my memory is right the battle was actually in Sparta itself.
Maybe the peloponnesian war? I’m just spit balling here since I never heard of the incident. Dude has some balls fighting naked in a sword fight.
There was a pretty good movie made about Admiral Lee starring the guy from Old Boy.

Maybe I’ll check it out. I tend to avoid those kinds of movies because they tend to be propaganda pieces for absolutely no regard for history, or even film artistry.

Maybe the peloponnesian war? I’m just spit balling here since I never heard of the incident. Dude has some balls fighting naked in a sword fight.

Maybe I’ll check it out. I tend to avoid those kinds of movies because they tend to be propaganda pieces for absolutely no regard for history, or even film artistry.

It was in Plutarch's lives, I think it was towards the decline of Sparta.

Athens suffered a horrible defeat in Sicily. They waited to withdraw based on an eclipse. That mistake caused them to be captured and pretty much tortured and worked to death.

From my understanding it's fairly close to what actually happened, embellished of course, but all in all it was an entertaining movie.

Even though I don’t know much, I really like history and I really don’t like how it is used to push a political agenda. I only go to the war room for the lulz.

More and more I realize the study of historiography is way more important than the history itself. The narratives people spin needs more scrutiny and focus when it comes to history education but I realize history classes are actually political weapons. A while back there was big deal made over a mass killing of Korean villagers by American troops during the Korean War but it is likely the event never happened. This is a common rhetoric spewed by the anti-US left but nobody ever really talks about the one huge massacre carried out by the ROK government on alleged communists because it both makes the right look bad, and the left can’t use that fact because it doesn’t fit their anti-US narrative.

The narrative of the Japanese occupation during WWII is one that is never questioned and we only ever get the simplistic view that Japan was pure evil. If you publicly mention how the Japanese set up a lot of the infrastructure, organized the farmland, educated a lot of the future Korean elite (one of them became president/dictator), introduced standardized education that brought literacy to many of the peasant class and women, and that many of the Korean comfort women were actually sold off by their own parents, you’re putting yourself at risk of being publicly lynched. If you make the slightest hint that Japan wasn’t as evil as the conventional narrative, you’re setting yourself up for death threats and being accused of being a pro-Japanese collaborator.

People will probably misconstrue my opinion as one of a Jap sympathizer but my point is that history isn’t as simple as “good” or “bad.” I’m even hesitant to judge a guy like Hitler as “bad” because that’s a value judgement but I bet some people will misconstrue that as me being a Nazi-sympathizer. Ironically, many Koreans have a very different perspective of WW2 and the Nazis from Europeans. Many see Hitler as a guy who did many things to make Germany great but did “some bad things” along the way. Many conservatives are openly sympathetic to Hitler because to them, a heavy cost is acceptable as long as it results in a collective “greatness.” My German friend who’s a history teacher in Germany is appalled whenever he hears Koreans talk about Nazi Germany.

Yes, the great things the Japanese did for the Koreans and the Chinese, like infecting them with diseases them dissecting them while still alive without anesthetics to track the progression of the disease.

The Japanese exterminated many more civilians and POWs than the Germans even thought of.

When the adverting industry was trying to get Americans to buy Japanese products, one guy apparently a little fed up with the sugar coating, proposed a slogan; From those wonderful folks who gave you Pearl Harbor and the Bataan Death March. Della Femina, the head of the advertising agency later wrote a book using the first part of that line. Another interesting part of this story is that the person who actually came up with the line never got credit because the line became the intellectual property of the ad agency he worked for.

The father of history was not Herodotus, or Thucydides.
It was either a guy that forgot to write it down, had his work purged, or it hasn't been discovered yet. jk

Side note; if you haven't had the pleasure of reading anything from Will Durant, or Edward Gibbon...do it!

Not many people know this, but the US invaded Panama in 1989. It was call Operation Just Cause.

Off the top of my head, wasn't there a Finnish sniper that had like 600 Russian kills?

Yes, the great things the Japanese did for the Koreans and the Chinese, like infecting them with diseases them dissecting them while still alive without anesthetics to track the progression of the disease.

The Japanese exterminated many more civilians and POWs than the Germans even thought of.

When the adverting industry was trying to get Americans to buy Japanese products, one guy apparently a little fed up with the sugar coating, proposed a slogan; From those wonderful folks who gave you Pearl Harbor and the Bataan Death March. Della Femina, the head of the advertising agency later wrote a book using the first part of that line. Another interesting part of this story is that the person who actually came up with the line never got credit because the line became the intellectual property of the ad agency he worked for.

And then the United States gave the guy who did it immunity from prosecution for war crimes in exchange for his research.

Shiro Ishii made Josef Mengele seem like an upstanding gentleman by comparison.

Off the top of my head, wasn't there a Finnish sniper that had like 600 Russian kills?
count may be exaggerated but yes, dude was a savage. he used to pack snow in his mouth, so not to give his breath away FFS, gangsta. Name is Simo Hayha

also, the Zimmerman Telegram from WWI from Germany to Mexico barely gets mentioned, pretty interesting

Turtle ship guy? Oh hey, I'm gonna watch this. Thanks!

I really like this premise of this thread so please do not let it devolve into some dumb us vs. them thread. Save that for the War Room.

what happened to my post? did i violate some kind of rule, or did some mod get butthurt by it?

There was a spartan who was given the highest honor for bravery, and for the same act, given a fine for being foolish. He oiled his body up and ran out to fight the enemy naked. Supposedly some of the enemy thought he was a demi god. The fine he received was for not wearing his armor and foolishly risking his life.

The Spartans invaded Persia and were doing very well fighting the Persians on their own ground. But Persia paid enemies of Sparta to cause havoc in Greece, which forced the Spartans home.

I never hear of Sparta invading Persia.

Back