Uneven weight training(sandbags) vs. even weights(a bench)

training

White Belt
Reaction score
What would benefit a punt/kick return in american football trainee in terms of strength and power. I have a bench with weights and I also have heavy bag that I never hit that I can do some sand bag exercises with. And most of you i know will say, "DO BOTH YOU DUMBASS!!! AHHHHHH!!!" but how could I inacorporate that into an off season routine?

training said:
What would benefit a punt/kick return in american football trainee in terms of strength and power. I have a bench with weights and I also have heavy bag that I never hit that I can do some sand bag exercises with. And most of you i know will say, "DO BOTH YOU DUMBASS!!! AHHHHHH!!!" but how could I inacorporate that into an off season routine?

Kick returners need the following skills: Leg Strength, Balance, Quickness. You need to be able to keep your legs moving even if you are hit. You're not going to need a great deal of upper body power, though if you ever want to play other positions you will.

Leg Strength: I'd recommend Squats / Deads with the barbell (if it is enough weight). As far as the heavy bag I'm not sure how much it qualifies as a sand bag as mine is well made and the weight doesn't shift around (one of the hidden features of sand bag work is the stability strengthing). Anywise, with the heavy bag you can toss it over your shoulders and do stair runs or hill runs. If it's heavy enough you can try zelcher dead lifts. Even use it for squats and lunges.

Balance: You can try doing overhead squats (I suck at these, but the evidence is there that they help your balance), one legged squats (romanians I believe), and all variants of lunges. Check the stickies for a nice list of lunges and descriptions of anything listed. It may sound wierd, but balance exercises on a swiss ball might help you and those are fairly cheap.

Quickness: Well, I probably lack this quality myself, but hell look at your coaches and see how many could still play. lol. Go to a car garage and ask for a few of their old tires. Tie them together with string to make your own tire run. That teaches being able to get your feet up off the ground while running whih helps when you hit the hole. Jump rope, losts of it as this helps.

Overall helpers:
Jump squats and jump lunges. The latter is very good and will help on your explosiveness. Add some polymetrics like box jumping to hit that hole harder.

Good luck and remember to hit that hole like a man!

Man thanks dude! I wasnt expecting anything like that! Im fixin to go to my dads so i will post a few other thing s when I get there. Thanks though!

Anybody else have any advice? Could anybody help me make a routine? I gotta make it around school. Im not so new to lifting that i don't have any form and all, but i don't have enough experience to put together something that works. Im not gonna be like most and think i know everything.

do squats, and deads, leg press and leg curls, and just work on your agility, sprint run 40 yard dash.

Back