Underrated movie: Masters of the universe!

I'm not the only one who thinks that!!

However, I wish it took place on eternia and not on earth.

This is one of those movies that I will forever remember fondly, but I know damn well I shouldn't watch now.

Easily one of my favorite movies growing up. Would love to rewatch it along with The Wraith which is another super underrated movie.

I actually bought this on DVD a few years ago, and while it's definitely got that exaggerated 80's feel, it's still a fun movie.

I'm going to have to rewatch Masters of the Universe and see if it's still good as an adult. I remember as a kid waiting and waiting for the sequel because after the credits it pans down to the pit with Skeletor and he pops up out of the water and says something about "He'll be back." But, alas, it has never arrived.

With all of the sequels and remakes going on right now I'm actually pretty shocked that this movie hasn't been up for a re-work yet.

I actually bought this on DVD a few years ago, and while it's definitely got that exaggerated 80's feel, it's still a fun movie.

I'm going to have to rewatch Masters of the Universe and see if it's still good as an adult. I remember as a kid waiting and waiting for the sequel because after the credits it pans down to the pit with Skeletor and he pops up out of the water and says something about "He'll be back." But, alas, it has never arrived.

With all of the sequels and remakes going on right now I'm actually pretty shocked that this movie hasn't been up for a re-work yet.

I read that they are making a new MOTU movie...

http://www.comingsoon.net/movie/masters-of-the-universe

Eh, it's rated about where it should be.Not saying it isn't a fun movie, but I wouldn't say it's very good. Also, Skeletor never made good on his after credits promise.

Hard to believe Van Damme's Cyborg was spawned out of that film.

This. As a kid I was highly disappointed that they never made a sequel. They are supposedly working on a reboot but talks have been ongoing for years so it's not exactly a speedy process.

Last edited:
i dug this movie as a kid. it was always kind of goofy & campy even before it happened out of 80's nostalgia. i remember it flopping at the box office and basically being a laughing stock at the time of its release, that's why the sequel never happened. thought it had a rather odd tone throughout. the MOTU characters were fairly dark as were their set pieces but all the scenes on earth or involving humans just broke down into cheese. if they dumped the earth concept, it might have faired better

Admittably I watched Red Scorpion as a kid and thought it was the shit.

Punisher for me is hated because no skull wtf and loved. MOTU was decent 80's cheese I guess, the only problem is I had every toy and watched every cartoon episode no grand transformation no battle cat skeletor wasn't swole .....tela would have got the business doe cartoon and actress in the movie

Hated that movie as a kid and refuse to re-watch it.

Same here. He-man was my favorite cartoon as a little kid but I hated the movie and had no interest. Strangely when I moved on to TMNT years later, I loved their live action movies.

I think as a real little kid, you want your cartoons. If I were a bit older I would have probably loved it because looking back on it now it's a pretty awesome fantasy and sorcery movie.

I think I had a problem with Dolph Lundgren being He-Man as a kid. Other than the body, he didn't look the part to me. He was always a little mean looking and didn't have "good guy" charisma.

I loved Beastmaster as a kid and I thought that guy would have been a much better He-Man. He seemed heroic and had He-Man-like charisma.

Last edited:
That movie freaking rules lol

I've been wanting to see this movie since John Byrne described it as a New Gods adaptation and director Gary Goddard admitted, "In fact, the storyline was greatly inspired by the classic Fantastic Four/Doctor Doom epics, The New Gods and a bit of Thor thrown in here and there." This happened in the letter pages of John Byrne's Next Men. But I never got around to watching the movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back