Under New Rules Silva, Melendez cannot train or work with UFC Fighters.

How would this even be enforced? Couldn't they say they're training with people for an upcoming grappling match that they're thinking about taking part in?

Lol why wouldn't every fighter then postpone there hearing for 6 months and keep training fighters

This is over stepping. It effectively extends the ban another 3 months at least

The key difference being that boxing (in most instances) - along with nfl, nba etc - hasn't agreed to adhere to wada protocol. But yes, if a boxing "coach" or "trainer" was banned for PED offence, then any athletes who were under the wada code would be committing an offence if they "worked" with him or her.

(actually, wada regulations on the whole are aimed at individual sports, olympic disciplines, athletes, tennis, swimming etc)

Wada protocol prevents an athlete banned for doping from working in ANY capacity in the sport during their ban.

Not saying I agree or disagree with it, but its an interesting discussion nonetheless

So NSAC ban Silva from Competing
USADA ban any athletes under its policy from "working with" Silva (as he is serving a ban)

That's what adds to the ridiculousness of it all though. The UFC did this in response to it's drug problem and in order to seem more official, but there are a number of problems that go along with this.

I completely agree that a coach or trainer should be suspended from working with any athletes if they were banned for a PED offense. Working with such a coach is would just be promoting negligent behavior.

Fellow athletes not being to work with other athletes is a very different problem. What exactly are they supposed to do? Also how exactly is this going to be enforced? I'm all for cleaning up the sport and all sports in general, but I'm still very pro the fighters.

That's what adds to the ridiculousness of it all though. The UFC did this in response to it's drug problem and in order to seem more official, but there are a number of problems that go along with this.

I completely agree that a coach or trainer should be suspended from working with any athletes if they were banned for a PED offense. Working with such a coach is would just be promoting negligent behavior.

Fellow athletes not being to work with other athletes is a very different problem. What exactly are they supposed to do? Also how exactly is this going to be enforced? I'm all for cleaning up the sport and all sports in general, but I'm still very pro the fighters.

How do they enforce it in other sports?

In cycling for instance. If an athlete is banned, he is not allowed to train with the team, as team training happens on public roads this is pretty easy to monitor. He is not allowed to be with the team at races in any capacity, mechanic, coach, soigneur, or any other capacity. Same in other sports.

Its funny that most people would agree that a coach or trainer banned for PED's should not work with athletes, but think that an athlete banned for PED's should be able to work with other athletes in a coaching capacity? What is the difference?

AS far as how UFC will enforce. I think the main thing we will see is that banned athletes wont be allowed to corner other athletes, wont be allowed to appear with them as weve seen in the past.

And any athlete who posts on twitter saying they had a great mornings training with Melendez.. Novitzky will go mental. Hes really not to be messed with.

lmao this is the most pathetic shit set of rules ive ever seen.

That's dumb. Punishing guys simply for training with a suspended fighter is going overboard.

I don't know how this will really be enforced in practice.

But this is the breaking news -- cheating with PEDs is serious business now.

I kind of like the rule. Why should fighters be allowed to make money while being suspended. If i violate a policy at my work and get suspended, i dont get payed so why should roid cheaters be allowed to make money training other fighters.

And also, why should they beable to use there suspension time training for a fight they plan to book after there suspension ends.

I kind of like the rule. Why should fighters be allowed to make money while being suspended. If i violate a policy at my work and get suspended, i dont get payed so why should roid cheaters be allowed to make money training other fighters.

And also, why should they beable to use there suspension time training for a fight they plan to book after there suspension ends.

If someone gets suspended from flipping burgers there is nothing to say that you can't make money flipping burgers on the side.

Your comment is silly and so is the rule.

If someone gets suspended from flipping burgers there is nothing to say that you can't make money flipping burgers on the side.

Your comment is silly and so is the rule.

Your analogy is silly. If you work at lets say mcdonalds, and get suspended you cant work at burger king because its called a conflict of interest. And flipping burgers "on the side" would be considered illegal.

Your analogy is silly. If you work at lets say mcdonalds, and get suspended you cant work at burger king because its called a conflict of interest. And flipping burgers "on the side" would be considered illegal.

My analogy is silly and this was the best you can do? #1 the Burger Flipper is not under the same contracts as a corporate employee may be. You can hold two jobs at the same time at both of these establishments. #2 How would having work "on the side" be illegal in either my example or this particular case with Melendez and Silva?

#3 These guys are not employees to the UFC, the UFC doesn't directly pay for their training partners, dietitians, or etc. They are independent contractors and shouldn't be bound to a rule that is flat out absurd. An independent contractor should be able to hire Silva regardless of what he's done. It doesn't mean that the fighter that hires him will juice. Even if the fighter does juice he's a grown ass man he knows right from wrong.

Hahahah yeah right. Nobody is gnns follow that rule. I train with ufc fighters daily. It's not
Always on film

This here.

Every gym is stocked with guys who aren't employed by the UFC. Asinine bullshit loaded in there to implement against targets of their choosing.

An independent contractor should be able to hire Silva regardless of what he's done. It doesn't mean that the fighter that hires him will juice. Even if the fighter does juice he's a grown ass man he knows right from wrong.

So by the same argument.

1) Luis Garcia Del Moral is a doctor banned by WADA

Is it ok for a MMA fighter under contract to UFC (and therefore agreeing to abide by wada rules) to hire Del Moral as part of his medical team?

2) If a guy who coaches at a Gym.. lets call him Fernado Smith, is banned by NSAC for 2 years for supplying Ped's to a fighter..

Is it ok for a MMA fighter under contract to UFC (And therefore agreeing to abide by wada rules) to hire Fernando as a coach, trainer etc during that two years?

=========================

UFC fighters are indepedant contractors, but they are also contracted to Zuffa and agree to follow the zuffa doping policy which is in line with Wada code.

And wada code prevents athletes from working with, employing, hiring, other persons who are currently undergoing bans for doping offences.

It again comes down to how we interpret suspensions.

We tend to view them as "banned from competing"

whereas WADA tend to view them as "banned from the sport"

I think this is a great rule. This means that any fighter who gets tries to cheat to get ahead for a time period will essentially stay behind for a time period..... Fair enough.

I think it's pretty dumb. This is punishment for their training partners as well. All this will do is make the skill level go down in mma and that's the last thing we need. Training in gyms is a team sport. Less good training partners = sloppier fights.

Bullshit IMO

I think it's pretty dumb. This is punishment for their training partners as well. All this will do is make the skill level go down in mma and that's the last thing we need. Training in gyms is a team sport. Less good training partners = sloppier fights.

Bullshit IMO

this! it is a ridiculous rule IMO. punish the offender, not his team mates. it is bullshit that suspended/banned fighter cant make money at all - the rule only affects other UFC fighters training with him. he can still train other non UFC/WADA fighters and make a living.

So by the same argument.

1) Luis Garcia Del Moral is a doctor banned by WADA

Is it ok for a MMA fighter under contract to UFC (and therefore agreeing to abide by wada rules) to hire Del Moral as part of his medical team?

2) If a guy who coaches at a Gym.. lets call him Fernado Smith, is banned by NSAC for 2 years for supplying Ped's to a fighter..

Is it ok for a MMA fighter under contract to UFC (And therefore agreeing to abide by wada rules) to hire Fernando as a coach, trainer etc during that two years?

UFC fighters are indepedant contractors, but they are also contracted to Zuffa and agree to follow the zuffa doping policy which is in line with Wada code.

And wada code prevents athletes from working with, employing, hiring, other persons who are currently undergoing bans for doping offences.

It again comes down to how we interpret suspensions.

We tend to view them as "banned from competing"

whereas WADA tend to view them as "banned from the sport"

**The most important thing is the contract, the UFC fighters have to sign it so legally they are bound by the clauses within the document. Can't argue that at all as I agree, they signed the contract they need to deal with it.**

But for discussion..

This rule is stupid and leads me to believe that MMA really does need a union. It's a dictatorship in the sense that the fighters really don't have a say and whatever the UFC does or says is "law" so to speak.

1.) I don't know anything about the case but it sounds different just by looking at the face of it. A doctor is usually bound by state laws and are seen authorities in their field. What where the punishments on all levels?

2.) Yes they should be able to hire the coach/fighter if they want to and if they're comfortable with that person. A coach or fighter is just a person with an opinion, you don't have to take the vial if you don't want to.

Back