Undefeated

wolfss

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Does a fighter need to be undefeated to be considered “goat”

In boxing I considered Manny Pacquiao the GOAT because of how he fought and who he fought along with when he fought them.

The question is can someone like Mcgregor or Masvidal and Nate Diaz be considered Goats??!

Jon Jones tested positive and is a known coke head and he is boring.

Nah you don't have to. Good to have but gsp is a goat even though he lost but avenged them.

i don't think so
it helps, sure, but it's not entirely necessary
GSP is probably no1 and he lost
Fedor is probably 2 (even though he is 1 for me but i won't start that discussion) and he lost
Silva is probably 3 and he lost (peds notwithstanding which tarnishes his rep but heck)

No. Being undefeated could ne used as an argument for someone being the Goat.
But i wouldnt say its a must-have. Just hypothetically If l you have beaten 50 fighters in a row but lost one before that, what does that defeat even mean?

No, but you also can't ever test positive for banned substances considering there is a high probability that cheating occurred prior to and after that failed tests, they just didn't get caught every time.

If cheating is acceptable, and/or excused for Jones, then Lance Armstrong is the GOAT of cycling.

Undefeated just means you haven't fought enough good fighters.

Yes, thats why Charlie Zelenoff will always be the GOAT of any combat sport.

No. I realize Fedor and Jones have a loss in their primes that is not a real loss. GSP vs. Serra is a 1 in 10000 fluke; anyone could have had a bad night.

A long consecutive streak in against top opponents is a must. If you have 25 non-top wins with a few top fighters at the tail end of your peak, that is not good enough. 30+ total fights is a must as well with at least half of them in a top org.

Conor McGregor is the biggest star the sport has seen to this point but his accomplishments in the actual sport are not enough for GOAT position.
Nobody sane would consider Diaz or Masvidal a goat lol. Neither has ever been the top fighter of their division.

You consider Pacman the GOAT because you don't know shit about boxing

Reality is Pacman is a top 30 fighter all time pretty easily, I think Floyd sneaks in too, but Pacman's losses don't really matter. Same with MMA, being undefeated doesn't really mean much unless you have the resume to back it up, Fedor did.

Well goat has to stand for something? Being undefeated is a good starting margin for upcoming fighters should aim to protect.

No, but it helps in the discussion.

Anyway Khabib is my GOAT tho :D

yes as far as being in your mid 20s to mid 30s as those are your prime years. losing initially early on in your first few fights is ok, as well as losing past your prime when your pushing 40 like silva/fedor.

Back