Unarmed against a knife. Options and techniques.

damn i was taught to wrap an arm in my jacket and completely forgot that.

But then again if I don’t have time to draw my weapon I definitely don’t have time to wrap my arm up in something, and that’s one on the reasons I almost always wear my motorcycle jacket. It won’t do shit against a stab, but it may well protect me from slashing attacks.

If your backpack is robust and big enough you can also use that (I usually keep mine in front so I can easily use it as a barrier). You can even modify it with some velcro straps to act as holding points. I think bags are more flexible than jackets...

(Edit: I'm trying to make my own stabplate using some epoxy btw lol)

Last edited:
If your backpack is robust and big enough you can also use that (I usually keep mine in front so I can easily use it as a barrier). You can even modify it with some velcro straps to act as holding points. I think bags are more flexible than jackets...

(Edit: I'm trying to make my own stabplate using some epoxy btw lol)
i don’t typically carry a backpack so i’ll just have to continue to rely on a jacket designed to proect from sliding on the pavement.

Ironshod-LARP-Viking-Shield.png

Just did this actually with training knives.

You get diced the fuck up until you can get wrist control both standing and on the ground.

It fucking sucked.

Did it at the Sheepdog Response class.

Honestly I would freeze.
The best I could do is hold out both arms in front and hunch back my upper body, yelling STOP.
I have not been confronted to this sort of violence ever so I won't lie.

If I would not freeze I would do the same as aboce but add front kicks.

Here's a decent realistic approach.

That was pretty good. It's a tough game to play, (to try and train for it). Time is so critical to your chances in a real scenario. I'm convinced you need a mask too, cause to practice properly, you need the freedom for everything to be a target. Head, face, neck, body, arms, legs, hands, fingers, anything you can capitalize on.
PR7005-side.jpg

We used to use these things:
41t0ctagXVL._SY355_.jpg

Noticed how the guy with the knife in the vid switched hands when his knife got caught?
Back in the day I noticed there was distinct difference in the reaction of someone wielding the attacking knife when caught depending on whether thumbs were used. So, (I'm not advocating kung-fu, just using the only pics I could find quickly) If you grabbed their wrist with a thumb grip they knife guy would try and switch to the other hand, pretty quick.

hqdefault.jpg

But, and this is a terrible picture, (nerds), if you kept your thumbs off the grip and finger palm held it like a sasquatch hand with no thumbs the knife guy would struggle against it, (thinking he could beat it without trying to switch to the other hand) It was precious time to punch him in the face. It clearly bought time almost every time. And most times it got his attention trying to beat what you were doing, instead of you trying to catch his knife!

maxresdefault.jpg

Again its a (sometimes fun) but time consuming game to get good at with no real expectation that its going to save you without a shitload of "ifs" thrown into a given scenario. (Not saying its not good, just no guarantee) We fucked up our nice expensive fencing masks cold cocking each other, Cheese gated each others faces a few times, had cracked bones in fingers from those fucking rubber knives. You can fuck somebody's hand up bigtime with those things ha! a real knife would just remove fingers like a ginsu through celery sticks.

We never got to wrestling on the ground though, we always ended up doing this in parking lots and alleyways. I had 3 years of pretty good epee experience with drills and drills: people trying to hit and catch my hand, so many times I got to be the thug attacker. The other guys I practiced with were belligerents, which helped me cause you shouldn't get too used to clean angles; awkward shit was good. A good pool of different personality types is really helpful too. We only had 4 guys and pretty soon everyone picked up on each other, and then everyone starts to plateau, (not to mention the busted up fingers).

It's a very psychological game, I've seen guys, (these weren't professional fighters) with boxing, kickboxing, and other skills get so caught up in chasing the knife that they lost their ability to bring useful things they knew to bare in practice. Interesting stuff.

Vid got me to thinking about it all again, just babbling on, reminiscing. Carry on.

Warning - graphic video

Now this is real. Apparently gun was in a locked drawer. Even if it was being carried, highly unlikely he could have withdrawn without getting stabbing.

Very sad to see.
Maybe hold the knife arm off then release one grip and do a disabling strike to the throat or gouge the eyes badly.

Seeing a vid like this tells you right away that the majority of unarmed knife defence techniques are bull. You have to control the arm is obvious.
Also maybe an unwelcome truth - carrying a weapon is a total false sense of security unless you have situational awarenes AND distance. Otherwise you are as good as unarmed...

That was fucking horrific. He was doing so well and then it's all over.... Just seems so senseless.

The guy commentating is a tool. "If you don't have footing, do what you can to get footing" like that would in any way change the situation for that guy in the video. He did all he could and fended off the attack for a very long time. Very bizzare commentary.

That was fucking horrific. He was doing so well and then it's all over.... Just seems so senseless.

The guy commentating is a tool. "If you don't have footing, do what you can to get footing" like that would in any way change the situation for that guy in the video. He did all he could and fended off the attack for a very long time. Very bizzare commentary.

ASP throws out some good vids, but his analysis, especially in the combatives scenarios is left wanting. With that said, hes still in the right frame of mind. Position before submission...

Back