Un-triangle-able people

I'm hard to triangle because of my large frame. But, it's possible. And it sucks.

Fat guys are easier to triangle because the fat helps add pressure against their carotid arteries. Against fat guys I often don't even have to fully lock the triangle to get the tap because it's already tight as soon as I grab my shin.

The OP sounds like the skinny type. Sometimes it's really hard to triangle (or do any type of head-and-arm choke on) a skinny guy with a pencil neck because there's always space for him to wiggle and relieve the pressure. The choke has to be super tight to create any pressure on his neck. It sounds like his training partners are trying, but it takes too long so they give up and just switch to the armbar.

There is a kid in my gym that can't be triangled, well at least not with normal sized legs. His torso and arm are so skinny it is almost impossible to get him. I can get him to tap bc of pressure on the back of the neck, but not bc he is passing out. Same goes for all the other guys that try to triangle him. I switch o armbar after a few seconds.

I actually have a harder time with guys who are thin, with no shoulders to speak of. Without shoulders and/or a neck, I end up in a situation where I have a hard time taking away enough space to cause the choke to happen.

Fat guys are easier to triangle because the fat helps add pressure against their carotid arteries. Against fat guys I often don't even have to fully lock the triangle to get the tap because it's already tight as soon as I grab my shin.

The OP sounds like the skinny type. Sometimes it's really hard to triangle (or do any type of head-and-arm choke on) a skinny guy with a pencil neck because there's always space for him to wiggle and relieve the pressure. The choke has to be super tight to create any pressure on his neck. It sounds like his training partners are trying, but it takes too long so they give up and just switch to the armbar.

I'm one of these skinnier guys.
If I get caught in a triangle I've always had to tap from the armbar alternatives.
Arm-Triangle still gets me though.

I actually though I was impossible to triangle for a little while. Then I got a little better at not getting armbarred while being stuck in a triangle, and suddenly the higher belts would finish the triangle instead instead of just taking the arm I basically offered them.

It's still hard to get enough pressure on my scrawny neck with a triangle, but it's certainly not impossible.
I know, that is why I said "seemingly". I've been rolling and stuck in bad toe hold positions and never realized. One of the instructors stopped a roll because he thought my training partner was going to snap my leg, but I barely felt a thing. Straight ankles are the same.

To be fair, my ankles are really beat up from soccer so I may have fucked them up to the point that a toe hold doesn't do anything at all. If I can conquer heel hooks, I'll be unstoppable!
Your ankles are obviously indestructible because they are pre-injured. Go and get your knees properly fucked up, and no heel hook will stop you!

we have a guy in our club with his corotid arteries half an inch back from the norm. his mastoid mucles actually protect the arteies from being easily shut off. this also means that the angle for most of the basic chokes is all kinds of messed up. definately not unchokeable but significantly more difficult.

Never seen that before.

I'm seemingly immune to toeholds.

I have come across that. It's cool when people in your class are trying to crank it on and you can't feel it and they stop before they break something. I say this because I take a TMA once a week and there are a couple of guys who probably consider themselves Bruce Lee only white with a rat tail haircut and 18 stone.
It's fun to watch these guys get scared that this won't work and come to the conclusion that I'm an alien or some bullshit, and sometimes to piss them off further I'll tap to people who aren't locking it in properly just to freak them out a little.

I have come across that. It's cool when people in your class are trying to crank it on and you can't feel it and they stop before they break something. I say this because I take a TMA once a week and there are a couple of guys who probably consider themselves Bruce Lee only white with a rat tail haircut and 18 stone.
It's fun to watch these guys get scared that this won't work and come to the conclusion that I'm an alien or some bullshit, and sometimes to piss them off further I'll tap to people who aren't locking it in properly just to freak them out a little.

Evil.

sounds like your teammates aren't cutting the angle to get perpendicular

that finishes 100%

If your opponent is really broad, it can be really difficult to cinch the triangle and you might be better off not risking it. However, you don't need to get it as far in with bigger guys because the pressure will be there before you get it where it should be. As far as people not being triangle-able, I doubt that. If you have a carotid artery, chances are you're vulnerable to a triangle.

You should challenge Palhares to make sure :D

Palhares doesn't count because he doesn't lock it in for the tap. He wants to break that leg off and take the motherfucker home with him for real to add it to the collection lmfao. :icon_chee

I actually have a harder time with guys who are thin, with no shoulders to speak of. Without shoulders and/or a neck, I end up in a situation where I have a hard time taking away enough space to cause the choke to happen.

You getting the angle right? I've noticed a huge leap in my triangles' effectiveness when making sure the angle is right. Look up Dean Lister's triangle video on youtube if you want to see what I'm talking about.

I kind of know what the TS is talking about. I have good triangle defense and I can often outlast my opponent.

However, I can be triangle sufficated if the guy has it tight and holds my head down for a long time.

Additionally, I can be armbarred, kimura-ed, or even spine locked where the guy puts his foot through your legs and starts scooting back. People that roll with me eventually go for that.

I know, that is why I said "seemingly". I've been rolling and stuck in bad toe hold positions and never realized. One of the instructors stopped a roll because he thought my training partner was going to snap my leg, but I barely felt a thing. Straight ankles are the same.

To be fair, my ankles are really beat up from soccer so I may have fucked them up to the point that a toe hold doesn't do anything at all. If I can conquer heel hooks, I'll be unstoppable!

HH will most likely shred your knee not your ankle, but good luck conditioning your cruciate ligaments. jk

Do you finish the triangle with your shins parallel and your feet pointed in the same direction? Seriously reduces the chance of anyone escaping - and it's just the right way to finish it, IMO.

HH will most likely shred your knee not your ankle, but good luck conditioning your cruciate ligaments. jk

Yea, that is why I don't want to find out. I've only had to defend a HH a few times, and I rolled out of it (removed my knee from the danger area as I was rolling) both times.

I have torn an ACL before, so maybe that knee is conditioned :D

Back