Un-triangle-able people

StevenGiles

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been training BJJ for a while now, and while I'm getting my ass kicked every time I train, I get caught in a lot of submissions pretty often as you'd expect. However, I've noticed that any time I'm put in a triangle, no matter how tight it is, I can still breathe. A few people I train with have told me some people just have necks that mean it won't work. Anyone else familiar with this? Is it pretty common?

Pretty much everyone at my gym has tried it and nobody has succeeded, my instructor is a brown belt and there's quite a few purple belts where I train. I know its hardly gonna save me very often because it only buys me a few seconds before someone armbars me but I was curious about it

Never seen that before.

I'm seemingly immune to toeholds.

i thought the triangle was a choke (blood restriction) not a strangle, so surely anyone can still breath

The triangle choke IS a blood choke which means if it's not working then it is not being applied properly. You should still be able to breathe, albeit slightly restricted due to obvious circumstances. However, having circulation cut off to your brain is hardly something one can be immune to.

Never seen that before.

I'm seemingly immune to toeholds.

I have amazing toeholding ability, prolly to the level of a Brown, and I've come a cross a fellow or two here and there, that I just can't toehold.

Everyone can get triangled. I knew 350lb Power lifter with no neck, and even he could get triangled. Some schools have strnegths, my gym in Japan, they don't seem to be able to triangle me, but they can sweep me, this was vice versa in my US gym.

That seems a little more dangerous to test :)

I know, that is why I said "seemingly". I've been rolling and stuck in bad toe hold positions and never realized. One of the instructors stopped a roll because he thought my training partner was going to snap my leg, but I barely felt a thing. Straight ankles are the same.

To be fair, my ankles are really beat up from soccer so I may have fucked them up to the point that a toe hold doesn't do anything at all. If I can conquer heel hooks, I'll be unstoppable!

Its hard to explain, but any time I am triangled, its uncomfortable, but its not that bad, nowhere near enough to make me tap. Its not like I'm some sort of tough guy, I weigh about 175lbs and most of my training partners are bigger than me. I've got triangled in full on Chael Sonnen mode with my leg in front of me and it was still alright. Maybe everyone is doing it wrong, but like I say there's a lot of purple belts and a few browns where I train

Most times it happens, the other person either goes for an armbar, or they let go because their legs are gassed, or I get out of it

i thought the triangle was a choke (blood restriction) not a strangle, so surely anyone can still breath

The triangle is a "blood choke" also known as a strangulation. Choke usually means tracheal compression and strangulation means carotid compression when people are differentiating between choke and strangulation. If you look it up in a proper dictionary the terms can be used interchangably :icon_conf

Unless you've got a body like Butterbean, and the guy trying to triangle you has the shortest legs ever, I can't see you being un-triangle-able. Have you ever said to the brown belt "Look, just keep triangling me until I tap"? Or have you just not been finishing by triangle in rolling?

And does this mean that you've never had to tap whilst drilling triangles?

I know, that is why I said "seemingly". I've been rolling and stuck in bad toe hold positions and never realized. One of the instructors stopped a roll because he thought my training partner was going to snap my leg, but I barely felt a thing. Straight ankles are the same.

To be fair, my ankles are really beat up from soccer so I may have fucked them up to the point that a toe hold doesn't do anything at all. If I can conquer heel hooks, I'll be unstoppable!

The guys I roll with have all commented on my leg flexibility and the natural ability to endure most all leg locks because of it. But heel hooks still wreck my shit 100% of the time they are locked up properly. Good luck with that one, if you come across a solution hook me up bro. XD

Unless you've got a body like Butterbean, and the guy trying to triangle you has the shortest legs ever, I can't see you being un-triangle-able. Have you ever said to the brown belt "Look, just keep triangling me until I tap"? Or have you just not been finishing by triangle in rolling?

And does this mean that you've never had to tap whilst drilling triangles?

Could be this, a lot of upper belts like to do flow drills instead of just tapping out fools. When I started BJJ 5-6 years ago, I thought I was gettin good, at stopping their subs, bo was I wrong. They'd lock on an armbar, let me roll out of it, and slap on a kimura, go to a triangle and so on.

Its hard to explain, but any time I am triangled, its uncomfortable, but its not that bad, nowhere near enough to make me tap. Its not like I'm some sort of tough guy, I weigh about 175lbs and most of my training partners are bigger than me. I've got triangled in full on Chael Sonnen mode with my leg in front of me and it was still alright. Maybe everyone is doing it wrong, but like I say there's a lot of purple belts and a few browns where I train

Most times it happens, the other person either goes for an armbar, or they let go because their legs are gassed, or I get out of it

where do you train?

I have no neck or shoulders (both of which are needed to be compressed for the choke), so it's a bit more challenging on me. It's not that it can't be done, but people have to have a much tighter/smaller triangle than they're used to doing, and will sometimes burnout their legs or give up before finishing it. However, you're still locked up in a triangle, so there's not much advantage other than the fact that you haven't tapped (yet). Some people will switch and start attaching with the armbars/shoulder locks/etc. Some of the Ryan Hall fist or knife hand in the neck might prove fruitful too, but nobody's really gone to that against me.

It is probably because you don't have your carotid arteries.

Or maybe yours are unnaturally deep below the surface.

You should challenge Palhares to make sure :D

The guys I roll with have all commented on my leg flexibility and the natural ability to endure most all leg locks because of it. But heel hooks still wreck my shit 100% of the time they are locked up properly. Good luck with that one, if you come across a solution hook me up bro. XD

You should challenge Palhares to make sure :D

Not too keen to find out about heel hook immunity :redface::D

I rolled with this guy and I'm telling you, he was impossible to triangle.
headlesshorse-794696.jpg

I actually have a harder time with guys who are thin, with no shoulders to speak of. Without shoulders and/or a neck, I end up in a situation where I have a hard time taking away enough space to cause the choke to happen.

Back