UK Gracie Invitational @ SENI Show 26-27th April

^^Don't worry man, I placed no where in my first tournament, it really is a learning experience.

I've known a few guys who have trained with Mark Walder and all say that he is an excellent teacher who really looks after his students, so stick with it and I'm sure he'll get you get there.

My school is relatively new so it took us few years to start winning medals, but remember the main thing is to enjoy your training!

Haha, good to see that i'm not the only one bitten by the competition bug, roll on the next one!

I'm going to compete in an amateur MMA event in July, if anyone's interested look up HOME

Wassup Kimurense, hope your good? Brasa guy here.

I've just arrived home from the Gracie Invitational. Brasa took quite a few medals, I took Silver in the Middle Weight Blue Belt category, three really tough fights and there a few aspects of my game I need to work on (actually my whole game needs work!), but not a bad result.

The tournament was OK overall, as per usual the schedule went out of the window and I ended up fighting at 5 pm instead of my scheduled 2.30 pm. I really think it would help if they find a way of sticking to the schedule a bit more closely, I know it ain't easy but I think some fights were even put back to the next day.

Good quality fights, not too many egos, and most fighters took losses and victories in the right spirit, the GI is decent tournament, and it could be excellent with the right approach, but I do think we need tournies in the UK, peace.

is this Dani? If so, sorry to blow your cover :)

did the Jeff Monson vs James Zikic no gi superfight happen in the end?

yeah, it did! it is a shame, because Thiago Monstro was initially schedulled to fight Monson, he was training hard for the fight. Then two weeks before the fight they say that Monson isn't fighting anymore only to reschedule a couple of days later the fight with zikic(!?)

Monson won by 6 x 0

yeah, it did! it is a shame, because Thiago Monstro was initially schedulled to fight Monson, he was training hard for the fight. Then two weeks before the fight they say that Monson isn't fighting anymore only to reschedule a couple of days later the fight with zikic(!?)

Monson won by 6 x 0

i knew i should have gone down sunday instead!

What a weekend!! busy and on my feet from 7 am till 830 at night when I stepped into the curry house - WISHING I STILL HAD THE MEGAPHONE!!!! I could have used it to order the beers!!

Shouted all day - through the megaphone and without it. Fought well considering I expected my groin strain to exploded and my ribs to implode at the slightest of touches, my cardio hung in there considering I havent rolled 100% for 12 weeks and havent been able to do any cardio for the same time. I lost 3 - 0.

My close friends did amazing - and my club - Carlsons did even better - 20+ medals on the first day. It was a great day for the team. I would just have liked the organisational side to have been a little better. Learning from previous events all the hold ups could have been avoided. The Seni dont seem to help things either. The Gracie Invitational needs 8 or 10 mats ALL DAY - BOTH DAYS. More seats more scales more officals and a seperate sound system!!

a seperate sound system!!

Yeah, that confused me at first: was wondering what the hell they were talking about with "win by unanimous decision" at a BJJ tournament, until I realised it was the TMA stuff over on the far mat. What was that, exactly? They mentioned various Chinese sounding names for the fighter's clubs, and I saw some guys with 'wing chun' on their shirts. San shou or something?

Yeah, that confused me at first: was wondering what the hell they were talking about with "win by unanimous decision" at a BJJ tournament, until I realised it was the TMA stuff over on the far mat. What was that, exactly? They mentioned various Chinese sounding names for the fighter's clubs, and I saw some guys with 'wing chun' on their shirts. San shou or something?

There was that garbage but i think the UD and TKO announcements were actually from the Muay Thai fights by the S6 entrance.

What a weekend!! busy and on my feet from 7 am till 830 at night when I stepped into the curry house - WISHING I STILL HAD THE MEGAPHONE!!!! I could have used it to order the beers!!

Shouted all day - through the megaphone and without it. Fought well considering I expected my groin strain to exploded and my ribs to implode at the slightest of touches, my cardio hung in there considering I havent rolled 100% for 12 weeks and havent been able to do any cardio for the same time. I lost 3 - 0.

My close friends did amazing - and my club - Carlsons did even better - 20+ medals on the first day. It was a great day for the team. I would just have liked the organisational side to have been a little better. Learning from previous events all the hold ups could have been avoided. The Seni dont seem to help things either. The Gracie Invitational needs 8 or 10 mats ALL DAY - BOTH DAYS. More seats more scales more officals and a seperate sound system!!

you would think that would happen with them moving it to london --but no everyones waiting outside at 10.15 pm still waiting to get in

they need more mats-- and for all mats to be in use at the same time

I came third in the blue belt SSH, lost to the eventual winner for the second year running.

they need more mats-- and for all mats to be in use at the same time

Someone mentioned on the EFN that they felt the Gracie Invitational had outgrown SENI, which is a good point. If possible (that's most likely a big if), it might well work better if the event had its own venue, so then wouldn't have to deal with all the problems involved in being part of a much wider martial arts exhibition (sharing mat space, noise, severely restricted view for spectators etc).

Someone mentioned on the EFN that they felt the Gracie Invitational had outgrown SENI, which is a good point. If possible (that's most likely a big if), it might well work better if the event had its own venue, so then wouldn't have to deal with all the problems involved in being part of a much wider martial arts exhibition (sharing mat space, noise, severely restricted view for spectators etc).

slideyfoot whats your preference London or b'ham

i want b'ham as it then is a national tourney --the seni in the last yr really is like a southern open to me

the uk needs a national tourney where everyone can go and compete-- I dont care for paying

slideyfoot whats your preference London or b'ham

Currently I've got places I can stay near both, so not massively bothered. Unless there are likely to always be engineering works on the weekend, as ExCel was a bit of a pain to get to: normally (at least according to the London Underground site), its about 30 mins from Oxford Circus, so would take me about the same as the NEC.

Though generally I think it was fairer to have the main BJJ competition in Brum as that's in the middle of the country, and the NEC is also easily reached by air (which is fairer for the people flying in from Germany, France, Scandinavia etc). But then again, as I think someone mentioned on the EFN thread, the location is down to SENI, not the people organising the Gracie Invitational (which merely happens to be a part of SENI, so no choice in the venue).

Currently I've got places I can stay near both, so not massively bothered. Unless there are likely to always be engineering works on the weekend, as ExCel was a bit of a pain to get to: normally (at least according to the London Underground site), its about 30 mins from Oxford Circus, so would take me about the same as the NEC.

Though generally I think it was fairer to have the main BJJ competition in Brum as that's in the middle of the country, and the NEC is also easily reached by air (which is fairer for the people flying in from Germany, France, Scandinavia etc). But then again, as I think someone mentioned on the EFN thread, the location is down to SENI, not the people organising the Gracie Invitational (which merely happens to be a part of SENI, so no choice in the venue).

yes i knew about tht--it was the organisors of the seni not the comp who moved it

I want a national competition

Back