UK Gracie Invitational @ SENI Show 26-27th April

If I remember correctly, people in the smaller weight brackets occasionally get another match even if they have lost the first one.

Although

Where are you from? Braulio is going to host tournaments at GB Birmingham in the future as we have 3 marked mats now. If you go to the website and click on 'check out our promo video' on the bottom right of the page, you can see some footage from the recent kids tournament!

http://www.graciebarrabirmingham.com/

These little buggers are gonna be lethal!

Does anyone know if the acedemy will be open on Saturday?

Where are you from? Braulio is going to host tournaments at GB Birmingham in the future as we have 3 marked mats now. If you go to the website and click on 'check out our promo video' on the bottom right of the page, you can see some footage from the recent kids tournament!

http://www.graciebarrabirmingham.com/

These little buggers are gonna be lethal!

Im from London but am teaching English in South Korea at the moment. I train under a Gracie Barra black belt given to him by Roberto Maia in Seoul.

My old instructor (Eddie Kone) might be reffing but not sure, I haven't really been in contact with the club for a long time and switched to another club (it was too far from my house and I can't drive) before I left.

I will be moving to Nottingham in September so I need to find a bjj club there. Hopefully there will be a good club there but I havent looked into it yet.

No Brasa boys in here?! god damn, I am the only one :(

good luck to all you guys. I won't be competing (not sure if I can make it on time, as I am working on sat and maybe sun). But maybe I will bump into some of you when I come in later on the day.

good luck to all you guys. I won't be competing (not sure if I can make it on time, as I am working on sat and maybe sun). But maybe I will bump into some of you when I come in later on the day.

Brasa are a bunch of wankers anyway

Brasa are a bunch of wankers anyway

Thats a bit steep!!!!

but fuck it - TTT this thread as Im bang on weight and theres at least 60 competitors from Carlson Gracie Revolution Team!!!!!

Thats a bit steep!!!!

but fuck it - TTT this thread as Im bang on weight and theres at least 60 competitors from Carlson Gracie Revolution Team!!!!!

He knows I meant it in a nice way...

I'm American so I try and use the word wanker as often as possible.

Wassup Kimurense, hope your good? Brasa guy here.

I've just arrived home from the Gracie Invitational. Brasa took quite a few medals, I took Silver in the Middle Weight Blue Belt category, three really tough fights and there a few aspects of my game I need to work on (actually my whole game needs work!), but not a bad result.

The tournament was OK overall, as per usual the schedule went out of the window and I ended up fighting at 5 pm instead of my scheduled 2.30 pm. I really think it would help if they find a way of sticking to the schedule a bit more closely, I know it ain't easy but I think some fights were even put back to the next day.

Good quality fights, not too many egos, and most fighters took losses and victories in the right spirit, the GI is decent tournament, and it could be excellent with the right approach, but I do think we need tournies in the UK, peace.

Just back too, had an awesome day!

Managed to win my first fight with dominant positioning but couldn't get the sub. Lost the second by 2 points i think as my opponent got the take down. I managed to reverse it but couldn't fully pass his guard. Was very close to getting mount but just couldn't get my foot out!

Really enjoyed it though and i know what to expect now.

Things i learned:

a) my standup needs a LOT of work

b) My cardio needs EVEN MORE work than the standup (!)

c) I could do with being more aggressive/decisive

d) I need work on passing half guard

e) Need work on grip endurance

I feel it went well apart from that though, best part for me was Braulio saying i fought like a warrior! Think my next tourny will be an amateur MMA event in July.

The thing that really surprised me is how much i forgot, instinct seemed to take over. I got side control fairly early in the first fight and my mind went completely blank!

My mate recorded it so will get vids up when i get the footage.

Just back too, had an awesome day!

Managed to win my first fight with dominant positioning but couldn't get the sub. Lost the second by 2 points i think as my opponent got the take down. I managed to reverse it but couldn't fully pass his guard. Was very close to getting mount but just couldn't get my foot out!

Really enjoyed it though and i know what to expect now.

Things i learned:

a) my standup needs a LOT of work

b) My cardio needs EVEN MORE work than the standup (!)

c) I could do with being more aggressive/decisive

d) I need work on passing half guard

e) Need work on grip endurance

I feel it went well apart from that though, best part for me was Braulio saying i fought like a warrior! Think my next tourny will be an amateur MMA event in July.

The thing that really surprised me is how much i forgot, instinct seemed to take over. I got side control fairly early in the first fight and my mind went completely blank!

My mate recorded it so will get vids up when i get the footage.

Well done, did you manage to pull guard or did you go for your own takedowns?

It was a great day at the Seni. It was an amazing experience for me. I fought in the blue belt under 76kg adult division. I got the takendown straight away and worked into my opponent's guard. I tried to pass although I made a mistake and got caught in a triangle. It was tight and I had to give up position and he ended up on top with the triangle. I was trapped in it for about 3 minutes before I was eventually able to escape but I ran out of time losing on an advantage. I was disappointed in my performance as I know I can roll so much better. However, nothing prepared me for how much of my game I would lose when I got on the mat. It was my first tournament and my mind went blank! I walked the wrong way round for the triangle escape and my guard passing looked horrible. Once I got caught in the triangle I just tried to hang tough! It was really tough to breathe for the time I was caught in it but I would have rather passed out than tap. Overall I can't wait to compete again. I made so many silly white belt mistakes but if I can convert some of my lesson form into competition along with my natural aggression then I am sure I will do better next time.

The one thing I will say is that I was very disappointed with the organisation. I was meant to weigh in at 2.30pm but didnt do so until 4pm and didn't get onto the mat until 5pm. I had had nothing to eat all day. Another mistake I made in the morning was locking myself in my conservatory (which was 37 degrees celsius) and cycling on the stationary bike for an hour to cut weight. I was about 2lbs over with the gi in the morning so I cut accordingly (I lost 3.5lbs in that time - along with a 10 minute hot bath at the end). However, with not eating all day when I did step onto the scales at the Seni I was actually 4lbs under with the gi!

Nevertheless it was a great experience and I look forward to stepping onto the mat sometime soon!

^^^I know what you mean (read my earlier post).

I cut weight and arived at 9.30 because the instructions on the tournament website said arrive before 10 am to weigh in. I assumed we would weigh in and then be free to rehydate and eat. Going the whole day before weighing in meant no food and only a little water was tough. But a lot ot tournies lack simple organisation. I also had to wait ages for my medal at the end and almost didn't get it.

Regarding your game and the tournament, you may find that there is a big difference between the way you roll in class and the way to win in tournies. I like to go for positional dominance, takedown, pass guard, knee on belly as these are things that rack up the points (though I wish it were that simple!), rather than pulling guard and going for armbars and triangles, though in class I love pulling guard.

Anyway well done, I'm sure you will see improvements in your game after the experience, I'm sure I will.

Well done, did you manage to pull guard or did you go for your own takedowns?

First fight i got a couple of takedowns, second fight i got double legged and that was ultimately what lost me the match. Can't really remember what i did to be honest! Should be able to get hold of the videos on thursday.

I agree that the organisatio was ridiculous though. luckily i was on first. I don't know why they dont just get everyone to weigh in before 10. That way guys can actually eat/drink etc instead of having to weight up to 6-7 hours, not eating in case they dont make weight!

brasa = 10 brazilians shouting there heads off at the corner of the mats at there students:icon_twis
Think Carlsons takes the prize there, as they brought a megaphone. :wink:

Agreed, on the organization, could have been executed much more smoothly and punctually. Also I found it questionable that this guy was reffing and sitting at the judge's table later.
It was my first tournament, having trained only 2-3 months. I was one of the first called in the lightweight white-belt category. Somehow I contained my anxiety and clinched with the guy for a bit until he threw me down. I scrambled and got a hold of his legs for the takedown. I avoided the choke for a bit until he put the triangle on me. Overall I would have liked to survive a bit longer but as it was my first tourney I learned a lot, and he seemed like a strong opponent. I completely agree with the prior post that mentioned the difference between competing and practicing, the mind blanking and all. Most of all I learned I have to train a hell of a lot more!

^^^I know what you mean (read my earlier post).

I cut weight and arived at 9.30 because the instructions on the tournament website said arrive before 10 am to weigh in. I assumed we would weigh in and then be free to rehydate and eat. Going the whole day before weighing in meant no food and only a little water was tough. But a lot ot tournies lack simple organisation. I also had to wait ages for my medal at the end and almost didn't get it.

Regarding your game and the tournament, you may find that there is a big difference between the way you roll in class and the way to win in tournies. I like to go for positional dominance, takedown, pass guard, knee on belly as these are things that rack up the points (though I wish it were that simple!), rather than pulling guard and going for armbars and triangles, though in class I love pulling guard.

Anyway well done, I'm sure you will see improvements in your game after the experience, I'm sure I will.

Congrats on the silver my friend. I wish I could have performed a little better but as I say it was a great learning experience. I am from Marc Walder BJJ and we all lost yesterday whcih was disappointing. The purples and browns from the class are competing today and I know they will do better. Ultimately though Marc told us he was proud of all the prep we had done as well as actually stepping onto the mat to compete. It is so much easier to spectate!

I will make sure next time that I do not get too heavy before a tournament. I essentially cut 22 lbs in 7 weeks to make the weight which was pretty grim! But the good thing for me was that I enjoyed it immensely and I want to get back onto the mat ASAP. I'll be drilling and rolling again tomorrow that's for sure.

Back