UK fans boxing back on sky this saturday rocky martinez/burns fight

nip102

Purple Belt
Reaction score
should be a good one martinez is one of the best action fighters in the sport
rocky-martinez-training-1dd.jpg

Burns is getting his face smashed tonight. Martinez is a very good fighter and is World level. Burns is barely European level. He struggled against Kevin O Hara who is pretty much the gatekeeper at British level in the SFW division. Burns in my opinion is one of the worst one of the worst mandatories challengers in years.

I've got to admit i'm not especillay familiar with either of these guys, i think i've seen a couple of Martinez fights before but i don't really remember much.

Any of the more knowledgable fans on here able to give cliffnotes on these two in terms of strengths, weaknesses and how this thing looks like it will go down?

I've got to admit i'm not especillay familiar with either of these guys, i think i've seen a couple of Martinez fights before but i don't really remember much.

Any of the more knowledgable fans on here able to give cliffnotes on these two in terms of strengths, weaknesses and how this thing looks like it will go down?

Martinez is an aggressive boxer with great stamina who's been on a bit of a KO run lately. He's tough and driven and while he can be hurt he's hard to put... or keep... down and his stamina allows him to wear out opponents and get shots through even if he seems to be losing a fight (see his match with Nicky Cook where Cook hurt him early before Martinez came back to smash him down in the 4th)

Burns is well... pretty average. He's not really got any power and he's only really picked up 1 good scalp (the at the time undefeated Graham Earl... and that's only at domestic level). He's a stick and move combination puncher but not a great one and has struggled with opponents he really should beat easily. He hasn't been stopped and he's been in with some domestic big hitters... but that doesn't mean a huge amount when you step up in class.

I imagine the fight will look similar to two recent ones involving UK contenders against world class opposition: Mitchell vs Katsidis and Jennings vs Cotto. Unfortunately for Burns I see it ending the same way as well... with Burns out of there by the middle rounds. In both cases the UK fighter tried to stick to the outside landing jabs and counter punches to their opponent as they came in. Unfortunately they were sloppy and in both cases got crushed. It's remarkably similar to what Nicky Cook did against Martinez... and it didn't work well for him.

In short, Burns has to fight the perfect fight for all 12 rounds... and even then be better than he's ever been before. Honestly I don't see him lasting the distance and even if he does I don't think even the worst home-cooking (and for all their sins UK judges normally aren't that bad) will get him the win he so desperately craves.

Martinez:

Strengths
Power
Amount of fights at World level
Fought on enemy territory before (nicky cook fight)

Weaknesses for Burns fight
Height
Reach
Hasn't gone the 12 rounds in 3 years.

Burns:

Strengths
Gone 12 rounds a few times in the past 3 years, so cardio
Crowd will be in his favour and possibly the judges on close rounds

Weaknesses for Martinez fight
Chin - was put down in 3 times in a fight. So his chin is suspect.
Power - has barely any. Won't have enough to cause Martinez problems.
Class - said it earlier, Burns is not World class at all.

Prediction
Roman Martinez is more powerful and a fighter who belongs at World level. Ricky Burns is plain and simple not a World Class fighter, he has no power so he can't really rely on one punch to get the job done. I see Martinez beating Burns well for the first few rounds and eventually stopping him in the 9th.

Martinez made good comeback in last two rounds.
Looks like he's still got it in him to take this fight by KO at any moment.
Hope Burns tidies himself up...

Burns has pulled off the upset of the year. Excellent performance by Burns.

Yeh i had it 115-112 as well, entertaining fight. Burns looked good, though i'm not sure about world class, Martinez looked very poor for a world champion, totally one dimensional.

Great fight, I really enjoyed that. Burns takes it by unanimous decision, two judges score it 115 - 112 also and I never heard third score. Deserved that victory although he does look like he could get caught out when facing some tougher opposition. I'm not familiar with this division so I don't know who's out there, he definitely deserves this fight and to enjoy his moment but let's see how his first defense or two go...

Burns fought the fight of his career. He went to war far more than I thought he would... and outside of the wobble in the first and again in the 8th did pretty damn well. He wore Martinez down and broke him.

One of the biggest upsets of the year so far.

Great fight. Burns' performance of his life against a very dangerous yet very sloppy power puncher in Roman Martinez. Excellent.

Great fight, I really enjoyed that. Burns takes it by unanimous decision, two judges score it 115 - 112 also and I never heard third score.

It was 115-113. I reckon he gave a 10-10 for the 5th or 6th (can't remember which it was), i gave it to Martinez but it was close, commentator gave it to Burns. That was the only round i thought there wasn't a clear winner in.

Back