International UK/European energy crisis, is Russia behind this?

Gas would likely be cheaper for Europeans if Russia was allowed to use more than 50% of the 22 billion dollar pipeline they built. Politicians and their economic wars are really fucking things up for the regular people who just want to get on with their lives.

Gas would likely be cheaper for Europeans if Russia was allowed to use more than 50% of the 22 billion dollar pipeline they built. Politicians and their economic wars are really fucking things up for the regular people who just want to get on with their lives.
I've not heard this, would you care to elaborate?

dumbasses here in europe thought we could jump from coal and gas powered plants to renewables just like that. and guess what, renewable is nice when you have massive nuclear capacity backup. when you don't and they say it's going to be a pretty cold winter, the prices went through the roof, cause it's an open market. there's only so much the russians can pump, and there's still restrictions on nord stream and others capacities. it's a bit of a clusterfuck here, but hey, politicians, what can you really expect. in 20 years europe will be the world leader in renewables, but up to that point we'll put another blanket on during the winter.

I heard someone on Bloomberg or msnbc. It’s basically Europe tried to go to hard and fast with green. It’s not windy now and the grid needs more gas to run. In the meantime they have lower like 70% natgas storage. So they have to buy a lot and now. With the USA not exporting as much iirc, plus demand in Asia, the Euros are dealing with a mostly self inflicted problem
Isn't part of the problem not that they've gone too far and fast with Green but that they aren't a "Green" place to begin with? They certainly will never be a great solar power and I suspect that they will never be a great wind power either since Europe is a relatively small and densely populated place.

dumbasses here in europe thought we could jump from coal and gas powered plants to renewables just like that. and guess what, renewable is nice when you have massive nuclear capacity backup. when you don't and they say it's going to be a pretty cold winter, the prices went through the roof, cause it's an open market. there's only so much the russians can pump, and there's still restrictions on nord stream and others capacities. it's a bit of a clusterfuck here, but hey, politicians, what can you really expect. in 20 years europe will be the world leader in renewables, but up to that point we'll put another blanket on during the winter.
Politicians are ultimately beholden to the electorate. Half of the people I see on the internet pushing this green stuff are Europeans. Could be confirmation bias but between The War Room, YouTube, and Reddit, I see way too many Europeans advocating for solar and wind and I'm just wondering how some tiny country with grey skies will ever be energy self-sufficient.

Politicians are ultimately beholden to the electorate. Half of the people I see on the internet pushing this green stuff are Europeans. Could be confirmation bias but between The War Room, YouTube, and Reddit, I see way too many Europeans advocating for solar and wind and I'm just wondering how some tiny country with grey skies will ever be energy self-sufficient.
green is fine and will be the future, for sure. it's just that the idea of a great leap forward is dumb wherever it may be implemented. in about 20 years the entire infrastructure will be complete, solar, geo-thermal, wind, hydro, alongside nuclear and green hydrogen, and the transition fuel, natural gas, being slowly phased out in another 20 years, with big investment in carbon capture technology. i believe it will work. but, a few hiccups along the way, not that big of a deal if you ask me.
some cold winters, meh. we're used to the cold.

I see. If I understand correctly they brought in these laws to stop Gazprom from having a monopoly and keep the market competitive so Russia can't just hold Europe to ransom. I can see why Russia are pissed off though as that was a change in the deal.
not new laws. it's the Third Energy package, it's 10 years old. there was an amendment to one of the sections a couple of years ago, made to clarify cases like nord stream. basically the company delivering the gas cannot also own the pipelines , in europe. production and distribution is always separate. it's a case of breaking monopolistic tendencies. the EU currently has some of the most powerful anti-trust laws in the world.

not new laws. it's the Third Energy package, it's 10 years old. there was an amendment to one of the sections a couple of years ago, made to clarify cases like nord stream. basically the company delivering the gas cannot also own the pipelines , in europe. production and distribution is always separate. it's a case of breaking monopolistic tendencies. the EU currently has some of the most powerful anti-trust laws in the world.
I didn't say new laws but I can see you might have inferred that from what I wrote, I should have said 'ammended'. I guessed it was to prevent monopolies. Can't say I blame them with Russias history.

Last edited:
Wholesale gas prices have risen by 250% and smaller UK gas firms are shutting down. This has led to a food shortage because of a lack of CO2 (used in beverages and poultry stunning) which is produced from natural gas. The UK government is going to look at what they can do which may include loans to the bigger companies to take on customers from smaller firms. The issue being there are price caps so the supplier will have to absorb the costs of the sky-high gas prices.

What's the reason for the price rises? There are a few things being mentioned, higher demand after the pandemic, higher use in Asia and lower output from Russia. The one that immediately caught my attention was the lower output from Russia. Apparently, they have suddenly lowered supply to Europe but for no apparent reason. Analysts believe that they may be doing it to speed up the introduction of the new Nord Stream 2 line that goes through the Baltic and comes from Russia.

What I find curious is that the UK news agencies don't seem to be covering the Russia angle in relation to the price rise. And I'm wondering what the reason is for this. Is it because they don't want to publicly acknowledge that Russia has so much leverage over the UK's energy supply?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/24/rus...europe-as-nord-stream-2-nears-completion.html
Of course Russia is responsible for everything, how don't you know this? From rigged elections to bad morning breath, it s all Russia's fault.

Wholesale gas prices have risen by 250% and smaller UK gas firms are shutting down. This has led to a food shortage because of a lack of CO2 (used in beverages and poultry stunning) which is produced from natural gas. The UK government is going to look at what they can do which may include loans to the bigger companies to take on customers from smaller firms. The issue being there are price caps so the supplier will have to absorb the costs of the sky-high gas prices.

What's the reason for the price rises? There are a few things being mentioned, higher demand after the pandemic, higher use in Asia and lower output from Russia. The one that immediately caught my attention was the lower output from Russia. Apparently, they have suddenly lowered supply to Europe but for no apparent reason. Analysts believe that they may be doing it to speed up the introduction of the new Nord Stream 2 line that goes through the Baltic and comes from Russia.

What I find curious is that the UK news agencies don't seem to be covering the Russia angle in relation to the price rise. And I'm wondering what the reason is for this. Is it because they don't want to publicly acknowledge that Russia has so much leverage over the UK's energy supply?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/24/rus...europe-as-nord-stream-2-nears-completion.html

Renewables entail having a gas baseload. Oh how the pro-nuclear crowd saw this coming a decade ago, but where completely ignored.

Most of it's because they decided to shut down the economy for too long over "COVID"
That's screwed up the whole supply chain, and led to inflation, (along with printing a bunch of paper money and giving stiumuls checks)

Of course Russia is responsible for everything, how don't you know this? From rigged elections to bad morning breath, it s all Russia's fault.
I don't think they got blamed for Covid. Boo hoo poor Russians getting blamed.

But it's not just me who thinks Russia is partly responsible for this.
More than 40 European Union lawmakers, mostly from eastern and Baltic states, have appealed to the European Commission to launch an investigation into Russia's state gas company Gazprom. They suspect it had been restraining its supply to push up prices and pressure Germany to expedite the launch of Nord Stream 2, a gas pipeline that runs from Russia and under the Baltic Sea to Germany.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....gy-gas-renewables-climate-cmd-intl/index.html

Last edited:
Isn't part of the problem not that they've gone too far and fast with Green but that they aren't a "Green" place to begin with? They certainly will never be a great solar power and I suspect that they will never be a great wind power either since Europe is a relatively small and densely populated place.
I mean kinda. They do get a decent percentage from green now depending on the country. Due to it being so far north, Europe has very low amounts of sub half the year. They’ve still made strides but what happens is that they aren't there yet and started dismantling a lot of their nuclear and coal as though they were finished in

Better check your closets for Russians. They might interfere in your elections by exposing your politicians own words...

I think Russia and China are laughing at the western world.

The whole go green, carbon zero thing doesn’t make any sense unless China are also involved.

www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57018837.amp

“China emits more greenhouse gas than the entire developed world combined, a new report has claimed.

The research by Rhodium Group says China emitted 27% of the world's greenhouse gases in 2019.”

The UK’s contribution to greenhouse effect is negligible by comparison.

Back