UG site down?

Yeah, he was more of UGer such as myself. It's easy to rack up posts over time haha

Never understood the UG hype, their whole set up gives me a head ache for some reason. Plus it just seems hipster to me. I think I signed up for an account back in the day but never posted with it.

For such a high profile website in MMA terms, it's strange that they leave the retarded step child in charge of Web design.

Yeah, man. I had a bet to leave forever should Jones beat Cormier.

I honored the bet.

Good to see you, you are one of the few posters I enjoyed reading opinions from.

Well man, I'd expect nothing less from you than honor, as you were always a member who I respected highly, who I felt had a good base of knowledge in this sport.

I still think you should come back because the board fucking SUCKS, and with the Jones coke scandal, 2015 has already started off with some of the most ridiculous and shitty threads/posts ever, all from new members. Not a good sign of shit to come.. and posters like you being gone are definitely a blow to the board IMO.

Quality posters are few and far between these days.. although I talked to/read a great post from Gordon Hester today (one of Rickson's early top students)... So there is still gold there if you are willing to wade through the endless amounts of shit. Which is why losing legit dudes like you only make it shittier - more shit to wade through and less good discussion.

I'm actually going to be writing some articles/pieces for the front page of the site revolving around the history of the sport. Mostly what I'll be writing about is past legends who aren't too well known by the new fan community, as well as major events that happened in the early days that shaped the way things are today - that again, are not really spoken about much by new fans. I'm hoping I'll be able to get interviews with the fighters and people involved in my subjects, too - as a fan, that would really be awesome for me.

Some of the first pieces I'm going to do are a career retrospective on Igor Vovchanchyn, as well as a look at the biggest and most surprising upsets in the first 10 years of MMA, spread across several articles.. Including, but not at all limited to,

Smith vs Coleman

Couture/Belfort

Saku/Belfort
(this really established Saku as a star - despite Randy beating Vitor before this and slightly derailing his hype train briefly, it was Vitor's sole loss, and he was coming off of arguably the best win of his career up that point - the all time great KO of Wanderlei in Brazil. Sakuraba had gone from beating solid talent to beating someone who was seen as elite in Belfort. This sent him on his way to soon beating more and more Brazilians, eventually slaying the Gracies)

Schembri/Saku (no one could've expected that one to happen the way it did)

Fedor/Herring (at the time, a substantial upset as you probably remember. Heath was #2 in the world and people thought he would take out the Russian who had only decisioned Schilt in his PRIDE debut prior to this fight)

Otsuka vs Ruas (despite Ruas apparently being ill this was a big deal)

Coleman/Igor
(and just how big of a deal it was that Coleman won it all, after dropping I think 5 straight prior to winning one lackluster fight before entering the GP)

Fedor/Nog (Nog was seen the same way guys like Fedor, Anderson, Jones were.. as an unstoppable, unbeatable guy, who was the best of the sport so far. Not many thought Fedor could dethrone him)

Mo Smith/Conan Silveira

And a lot more. So when I get that kinda shit going, fi that's something you';d be interested in checking out, I'll PM it to you on here. Again, I always liked reading your shit, and would love to hear feedback from you on that era of the sport.. along with perhaps some suggestions on topics as well.

Sorry for the long post man, but hope all is well with you. Take it easy

Last edited:
Yeah, man. I had a bet to leave forever should Jones beat Cormier.

I honored the bet.

Good to see you, you are one of the few posters I enjoyed reading opinions from.

Also, just curious since I forget. Who was your bet with?

Never understood the UG hype, their whole set up gives me a head ache for some reason. Plus it just seems hipster to me. I think I signed up for an account back in the day but never posted with it.

The hype came from the amount of big time fighters and figures in the sport who frequented there on a regular basis, basically.

But I agree. When I first found the UG in like 2005, I did not sign up and thought the framed lay out was fucking retarded. Once they got a semi normal forum, around 2008, I got on there because there was nowhere else online you could go and still interact with so many top fighters.. though most were long gone by that point.

I've got an 06 account on the UG but it has about 5 posts because despite my years of using forums and earlier bbs', I can't figure my way around the fucking forums.

I can't stand the site the layout gives me a migraine, hell websites on GeoCities back in the day looked better.

Back