UFN 94 - Johnson vs Poirier - Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
You cannot discount how many times Poirier has been wobbled though. He's been in danger in there several times. It's not surprising given his style. I definitely think MJ can get a KO.

Poirier -142 on betsafe

i am leaning toward betting MJ though and LB Poirier if MJ starts to fade.. i see MJ taking the first few rounds at least with his superior boxing skills

Poirier -142 on betsafe

i am leaning toward betting MJ though and LB Poirier if MJ starts to fade.. i see MJ taking the first few rounds at least with his superior boxing skills
Good line. Taking that for 1.5u.

Which fight did you see this in?

You know I rechecked but can't see find it on YT anymore but I do recall islam being pretty good at gaining reversals or on the top side up, so his sambo world champ skills is pretty good and he does have wrestling and definitely scrambling ability.

Its a tricky fight to gauge islam though since these guys were lower end competition like you say he can in positions where he is on bottom but he will often end up more times on top or dominating the fight, he could easily stuff wades wrestling and take downs and end up on top and come out the right play here.

There are some fights where you can see he is still a bit green, guys having success getting his back or success on single leg take downs like 18:24 here:

someone like wade I have to imagine being ufc material and with a heavy wrestling and kickboxing background, an young and equally good looking prospect to have an advantage here.

Its a good live bet fight if ever.

I know @AffectEffect rewatched Islam's fights outside the UFC, but did anyone rewatch the Kuntz fight?

I'm not going to have time to watch anymore tape this week so relying on the insight you guys provide. Is my memory off, or did Kuntz give Islam some struggles in the clinch and with scoring tds?

- Uriah Hall is just a dynamic striker
- He’s not so good on his back or at getting takedowns. His cardio is ok.
- Brunson believes he actually possesses better boxing than Hall, but when it comes to an overall stand-up game, the Jackson-Winkeljohn fighter gave the edge to his opponent. “I have to give him an advantage there, I can’t disrespect him that much.”
- Hall] is not a “complete martial artist.
- Brunson then revealed concerns that Hall might be doing something unnatural in order to be the best he can be.
- I’ve got good jiu-jitsu skills, good wrestling, good ground and pound, good power on my feet, good strikes. I’m very dangerous and I can end the fight anywhere.

Sorry JB you are remembering wrong here. He completely dominated him in the clinch, 3 takedowns, and out striking him there when not going for a td.

@Ukram
I watched all the tape, there is almost no evidence of Makachev ever losing a wrestling/takedown exchange, he is only ever takendown once in all his fights. While on the other hand there is plenty of evidence where wade gets dominated or struggles clinching in his fights. Trying to say wade is the better wrestler based off fight history is just not rational. Hope that's not coming off dickish, maybe there is some tape I missed.

In regards to their backgrounds, Mak is a 4 time national Russian sambo champion, and world combat sambo champion. And he has just as much pro experience as wade. To say that wade has "heavy wrestling and kickboxing background" while implying Mak is "green" seems off to me. I would say their backgrounds are comparable, Being a sambo world champion probably outweighs anything wade has ever done.

Could wade just be a bigger better athlete? Maybe, but Mak displays the superior skills imo. Wade needs to tire this kid out, or land a huge shot (he has 0 tkos).

Im on Wade at +100. Not really impressed by Makhachev and Im a big dagestani fighters supporter.

Also pretty big on Dunham. I dont think his opponent has much of a chance.

Torn in MJ/DP fight. I feel MJ can put Poirier out. Dustin is better overall fighter but he is too reckless and MJ has really good hands. Maybe the under is good... IDK, it should be a fun fight while it lasts.

Sorry JB you are remembering wrong here. He completely dominated him in the clinch, 3 takedowns, and out striking him there when not going for a td.

@Ukram
I watched all the tape, there is almost no evidence of Makachev ever losing a wrestling/takedown exchange, he is only ever takendown once in all his fights. While on the other hand there is plenty of evidence where wade gets dominated or struggles clinching in his fights. Trying to say wade is the better wrestler based off fight history is just not rational. Hope that's not coming off dickish, maybe there is some tape I missed.

In regards to their backgrounds, Mak is a 4 time national Russian sambo champion, and world combat sambo champion. And he has just as much pro experience as wade. To say that wade has "heavy wrestling and kickboxing background" while implying Mak is "green" seems off to me. I would say their backgrounds are comparable, Being a sambo world champion probably outweighs anything wade has ever done.

Could wade just be a bigger better athlete? Maybe, but Mak displays the superior skills imo. Wade needs to tire this kid out, or land a huge shot (he has 0 tkos).

You could be very well right, I have seen a couple of maks YT fights and his ufc one but I just have not seen his sambo level displayed against an actual good fighter able to hold his own, his past competition have been new and raw or just low end fighters.

I like wades wrestling better, since it appears to have transitioned well into mma wrestling, and I don't think mak has that type of offence just yet but Its just a theory for now, if mak stuffs take downs and out works wade in the clinches with his world class level sambo ill the first to live bet him.

I'd bet MJ but if he somehow gets on his back he's a damn turtle.

You could be very well right, I have seen a couple of maks YT fights and his ufc one but I just have not seen his sambo level displayed against an actual good fighter able to hold his own, his past competition have been new and raw or just low end fighters.

I like wades wrestling better, since it appears to have transitioned well into mma wrestling, and I don't think mak has that type of offence just yet but Its just a theory for now, if mak stuffs take downs and out works wade in the clinches with his world class level sambo ill the first to live bet him.

That's understandable, he might struggle with wade's physicality at first, you might be right about him being a little green. Right now I have the over, and I am watching the line and waiting for props.

I re-watched mj/dariush, I still think dariush out jabbed him in r2 and r3 to clinch that decision but r1 was all mj with that knock down, but the 1st round was close till that point with dariush out jabbing him.

Its only after watching nate, you can see mj is great in r1 with his speed, foot work and boxing and it confuses most fighters early on but once they get a read for his foot work, head movement they can counter and time mj better. Mj gets a bit predictable but still has fast starts at the beginning of the round.

I agree with others dustin is the better overall fighter but did anyone notice how crazy he was against green ? dustins chin held and green did not help but dustin went for broke for the ko, he was slowing right down end of r1.

Not exactly the game plan or fight iq to help against mj here in a 5 rounder, lets hope he remembers its a 5 rounder. I don't believe mj drilling wrestling and take downs in his training vids he will actually do that this fight, mjs nearly always been a striker first and dustin has the better ji jitsu game here.

I don't think the fight goes the distance, the under's sound good to me (3.5 and 2.5 perhaps) still siding with dustin here though, he is more confident in his ground game and overall ability.

That's understandable, he might struggle with wade's physicality at first, you might be right about him being a little green. Right now I have the over, and I am watching the line and waiting for props.

Yeah wade has that strange upper body frame wrestlers get, anyhow right or wrong its all about being able to capitalize and make money from it which is why I tend to live bet only, this is why in mma I try to think several chess moves a head....and then someone runs into a fist and gets ko

I re-watched mj/dariush, I still think dariush out jabbed him in r2 and r3 to clinch that decision but r1 was all mj with that knock down, but the 1st round was close till that point with dariush out jabbing him.

Its only after watching nate, you can see mj is great in r1 with his speed, foot work and boxing and it confuses most fighters early on but once they get a read for his foot work, head movement they can counter and time mj better. Mj gets a bit predictable but still has fast starts at the beginning of the round.

I agree with others dustin is the better overall fighter but did anyone notice how crazy he was against green ? dustins chin held and green did not help but dustin went for broke for the ko, he was slowing right down end of r1.

Not exactly the game plan or fight iq to help against mj here in a 5 rounder, lets hope he remembers its a 5 rounder. I don't believe mj drilling wrestling and take downs in his training vids he will actually do that this fight, mjs nearly always been a striker first and dustin has the better ji jitsu game here.

I don't think the fight goes the distance, the under's sound good to me (3.5 and 2.5 perhaps) still siding with dustin here though, he is more confident in his ground game and overall ability.

agreed with alot of what you said really tough fight predict.. but i do belive MJ's tdd is good enough to keep it on the feet where i feel MJ has a sizable advantage

and i strongly disagree that Dariush won that fight. i did not watch it recently but as far as i remember that was a robbery MJ clearly won r1,r2 and coasted in r3 (hate when fighters do that but really should have been 2-1 MJ anyway)

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/6402/Beneil-Dariush-vs-Michael-Johnson
http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/d4e98b827e3d6918

I know @AffectEffect rewatched Islam's fights outside the UFC, but did anyone rewatch the Kuntz fight?

I'm not going to have time to watch anymore tape this week so relying on the insight you guys provide. Is my memory off, or did Kuntz give Islam some struggles in the clinch and with scoring tds?

https://www.ufc.tv/video/islam-makhachev-vs-leo-kuntz-ufc-187-1

kuntz pretty much performed like his name, barely threw any strikes or offered any offence, the speed difference was night and day, islam was able to do anything he wanted really. Kutz recently did however beat a guy with 55 losses and beat another guy called kuchlong kucklong and is on a 2 fight losing skid so most likely walks next fight.

This is why I was saying its hard to gauge islam, he is a prospect and could be one of those new Russian superstars in the making, wade is an excellent test for him.

Off topic but mmabettingtips now giving his tips for free as hes 37 units in the hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back