UFCs SW ranking is still a mess, post your own estimation

Melas Chasma

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I understand it is still a relatively new division and it can be difficult to see the real pecking order in top15 until they fight more against each other. But Im sure some of these rankings are just cringeworthy for the fans who have followed SW long before they started in the UFC. Please give your personal view of the real SW top15 rankings in terms of fighters skill level, and not necessarily just based on the fights they have fought in the UFC.

UFC ranking:

Champ: Joanna Jedrzejczyk (ok)

1 Claudia Gadelha (ok)
2 Carla Esparza (long layoff, too high?)
3 Rose Namajunas (ok, imo she has improved a lot)
4 Tecia Torres (too high?)
5 Jessica Penne (too high?)
6 Valerie Letourneau (ok?)
7 Paige VanZant (LMFAO)
8 Joanne Calderwood (too high?)
9 Maryna Moroz (ok?)
10 Michelle Waterson (ok?)
11 Randa Markos (ok?)
12 Karolina Kowalkiewicz (LOL, much higher)
13 Jessica Aguilar (LMAO, this is ridiculous)
14 Juliana Lima (LEL, much higher)
15 Felice Herrig (WTF?)

Your thoughts?

Too 5 is fine imo. After that it really doesn't seem to matter much anyway. I agree VanZant is not #7.

Joanna Jedrzejczyk and Claudia Gadelha are leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the division.

I understand it is still a relatively new division and it can be difficult to see the real pecking order in top15 until they fight more against each other. But Im sure some of these rankings are just cringeworthy for the fans who have followed SW long before they started in the UFC. Please give your personal view of the real SW top15 rankings in terms of fighters skill level, and not necessarily just based on the fights they have fought in the UFC.

UFC ranking:

Champ: Joanna Jedrzejczyk (ok)

1 Claudia Gadelha (ok)
2 Carla Esparza (long layoff, too high?)
3 Rose Namajunas (ok, imo she has improved a lot)
4 Tecia Torres (too high?)
5 Jessica Penne (too high?)
6 Valerie Letourneau (ok?)
7 Paige VanZant (LMFAO)
8 Joanne Calderwood (too high?)
9 Maryna Moroz (ok?)
10 Michelle Waterson (ok?)
11 Randa Markos (ok?)
12 Karolina Kowalkiewicz (LOL, much higher)
13 Jessica Aguilar (LMAO, this is ridiculous)
14 Juliana Lima (LEL, much higher)
15 Felice Herrig (WTF?)

Your thoughts?
VanZant and the next 5 fighters can really be interchangeable. She is 3-1 in the UFC.

Torres is not too high. Wins over Rose, PVZ.

VanZant and the next 5 fighters can really be interchangeable. She is 3-1 in the UFC.

But those 3 wins came against fighters who arent even near top10, yet she is ranked 8th. At fightmatrix Paige is ranked 18th between UFC fighters and 26th globally, thats a lot more objective ranking for her skills, without UFCs hyperbole.

Last edited:
LMFAO@ Paige Vanzant ? What has she done now, since she lost 1 fight are people dragging her through the mud to ? I don't see anybody ranked below Paige that could beat her so why are you laughing your ass off at Paige ?

As a matter of fact you call the ranking a mess and it looks as close as they are going to get it, where is the mess at ?

calderwood is too low not too high. she's top 5. her ground work is still a work in progress but her striking is arguably 2nd best in the division after jo-j. shes a genuinely high quality fighter.

Can you rank them in the correct order, TS?

Joanna
Claudia
Rose
Valerie
Tecia
Esparza
Then shuffle the rest however.

LMFAO@ Paige Vanzant ? What has she done now, since she lost 1 fight are people dragging her through the mud to ? I don't see anybody ranked below Paige that could beat her so why are you laughing your ass off at Paige ?

Everyone on the list except Herrig would beat PVZ and so would Ansaroff and Kish who aren't on the list.

It was clear as day she wasnt top10 level even before her fight against Rose. She was ridiculously overhyped and everyone who had payed a little attention knew that already a long time ago. It has nothing to do with her getting dominated against Rose because it was so expected.

And no, Paige would be the underdog against everyone on that list except Herrig who shouldnt be on that list.

Top 5 is okay, but I think everybody could could be interachanged without consequence except for Aguilar. She could be swapped for somebody in the top 5.

calderwood is too low not too high. she's top 5. her ground work is still a work in progress but her striking is arguably 2nd best in the division after jo-j. shes a genuinely high quality fighter.

Hey, I love that girl's personality, but she hasn't shown anything in the cage to warrant her ranking any higher than it is.

Rankings don't matter

Valerie would whoop the shit out of everyone not named Claudia or Joanna. KK, Jag, and Lima are as good if not better than Esparza, Calderwood, and PVZ

The only fighter on the list that she has fought is #15 Herrig. So please explain how that warrants a #7 ranking (previously #6!). Hard to justify anything above #10 when you haven't beaten a top 10 fighter.

How do you lose a fight and move up two rankings (Letourneau). Seriously, UFC needs to figure a real way to manage rankings. The media panel was stupid to begin with, and completely pointless after they decided to go a different way with the Reebok payouts.

How do you lose a fight and move up two rankings (Letourneau). Seriously, UFC needs to figure a real way to manage rankings. The media panel was stupid to begin with, and completely pointless after they decided to go a different way with the Reebok payouts.

I think based off that fight its perfectly acceptable for Val to go up... especially given the competition in the division. Val gave the clear cut #1 a hell of a battle, I gave the first two roulds to Letourneau.

Back