UFCs Biggest Flop

? lol newbies...

Askren was about 7 years past prime when he came into the UFC. You do know he was retired for over a year right? He was making big bucks can smashing in Asia and retired from low risk high pay fights because of the various wear and tear related injuries he was suffering.

However, he always wanted to try his hand in the UFC and couldn't resist his last chance.

If Dana and co. wouldn't have fucked him, we would have had an opportunity to see him at his best.

Askren in 2012 would have been a very different fighter in the UFC.
Oh, it is that "passed his prime" argument again. LOL

Would say Todd Duffee, he was supposed to run right through the HW division.

The scary thing is he still could. 34 is fairly young for a heavy weight.

Mayhem Miller twice. Once against Georges and his return.

Felt sad for Kang and his whole backstory, he was on an insane 23 fight win streak, then after his fiancé passed (overdose) he was never the same fighter. For what it’s worth we probably never got to see his full potential, after she died he just couldn’t get it together enough to be a consistent in fighter.

Here’s a synopsis of the story if you didn’t know

On September 23, 2006, Kang's fiancée, Shelby Walker, who was also a professional fighter, was found dead after an apparent overdose of pain medication. Kang had racked up a 23 fight unbeaten streak prior to his fiancée's death, but has since won only 7 of 16 bouts.

I have a personal story that actually involves me, Kang and Rory. In 2009-11 I was living in Ottawa and Kang was teaching a couple of classes out of a gym called MMAFA. Because I was always around I got brought up to Tristar and got to meet Rory in person and trained at Tristar for about ten days. Rory added me on Facebook and found some photos of a girl I was very casually seeing up in Sioux Lookout. He messaged her and offered to fly her in to Ottawa so they could hook up. She took the flight and I picked her up at the airport and came over to my place instead.

I have a personal story that actually involves me, Kang and Rory. In 2009-11 I was living in Ottawa and Kang was teaching a couple of classes out of a gym called MMAFA. Because I was always around I got brought up to Tristar and got to meet Rory in person and trained at Tristar for about ten days. Rory added me on Facebook and found some photos of a girl I was very casually seeing up in Sioux Lookout. He messaged her and offered to fly her in to Ottawa so they could hook up. She took the flight and I picked her up at the airport and came over to my place instead.
Can’t say he didn’t ask for that, something about Rory never sat well with me for what it’s worth.

There was no need for Gonzaga fight, should have fought Couture straight after Sanchez. He had higher reputation in MMA world at that time than UFC champion, should have not accepted anyone less than Couture at that time, or title fight vs Sylvia instead of Couture. All other fights were high risk low revard. Gonzaga was nobody then, just risk.

Cage and unified rules changed everything, helped his opponents with large space, circling, distance, no corners, and long fence pushing.
In the ring and Pride rules Cro Cop could run throught Miocic, Jones, Cormier or whoever from UFC, he would have at least even chances to beat anyone of them in the ring.
They are all dependant on american version of MMA for their game, Jones needs elbows and big space to move and keep distance and reach advantage, Stipe needs big space, fence and elbows, Cormier needs wire fence, elbows and rules that protect and favour wrestlers. They would all be weaker in the ring, and Cro Cop is a lot better in the ring.
They are all dependant on american version of MMA for their game, Jones needs elbows and big space to move and keep distance and reach advantage, Stipe needs big space, fence and elbows, Cormier needs wire fence, elbows and rules that protect and favour wrestlers. They would all be weaker in the ring, and Cro Cop is a lot better in the ring.
Bingo. Styles make fights, but ruleset and setting (ring vs. cage) also makes a huge impact. Hopefully more people start realizing this.

As a huge Mirko fan: Mirko Crocop

This is the only real answer IMO.

Recent grand prix winner, widely considered one of the absolute best heavyweights in the world. Shows up to the UFC and gets put away repeatedly. Not by the best guys either, even second and third tier fighters put Crocop away.

USADA comes around and he admits to using HGH, in his words, to treat an injury. He exits the UFC.

Goes back to winning, with an 11-1 record, presumably back on PEDS and fighter lower competition.

papy_abedi1.gif

20140910035718_IMG_4249.JPG

20140513025319_IMG_5810.JPG

Only real ones remember these hype trains!

Papi was basically hyped up for looking cool. Soko and Houston at least racked up a quality win or two.

It’s just a result of not settling up the shot to the TD, and the opponent knowing and planning to counter that.

Young Cub Swanson used to do that, and his opponents would see it coming.
He walked into Pulver’s guillotine and Aldo’s flying knee because of it.
But he adjusted and learned to set things up better, eventually becoming an elite fighter in his division.

I don’t see why Askren couldn’t make similar adjustments. Set up the TD better, but of course he’d have to be capable of holding his own in the standup for a few sequences.

Oh, it is that "passed his prime" argument again. LOL

Are you really that dumb or do you just not read english very well?

He was "RETIRED" for over a year. Fighters that are healthy and in peak form typically don't retire especially when they are undefeated and have easy pickings in a bush league. Solid rumor indicates he was making north of 300k a fight in One FC.

He retired by his own words long before the UFC brought him in due to recurring injuries.

He's never mentioned it but he may not have trained at all in that period of time other than coaching wrestling. There are very damn few fighters that come back from retirement successfully. Fedor certainly didn't do it. The other B level guys that quit and keep coming back usually get smashed.

GSP had success but then again he only fought once...

There was no need for Gonzaga fight, should have fought Couture straight after Sanchez. He had higher reputation in MMA world at that time than UFC champion, should have not accepted anyone less than Couture at that time, or title fight vs Sylvia instead of Couture. All other fights were high risk low revard. Gonzaga was nobody then, just risk.

Cage and unified rules changed everything, helped his opponents with large space, circling, distance, no corners, and long fence pushing.
In the ring and Pride rules Cro Cop could run throught Miocic, Jones, Cormier or whoever from UFC, he would have at least even chances to beat anyone of them in the ring.

I agree 100%. Regardless of what was supposedly allowed in Japan, unified rules and the cage are a completely different world

I can't decide between Askren and Cro Cop, Cro Cop at least won a few fights but had some pretty terrible losses. Askrens career was far more short lived but at least beat a ranked fighter and former champion. Cro Cop looked like he didn't want to be there and Askren looked like he was dragged straight from a wrestling tournament.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back