UFCs Biggest Flop

It pains me even more, to like this post, as you're correct.
As a huge cc fan, I have to agree. He was given an easy path to a title shot, then got crocopped by Gonzaga and was never the same after that

Last edited:
Biggest flop was probably having Cain vs JDS 1 as their only fight showing on their first night on FOX.

Personally, and I hate to say,...but its Gomi for me,...Pride LW champion,...coming off probably the most amazing three years in the game from 2005-2008,....was hoping he would come into the UFC and just keep going where he left off in Pride,...but the writing was on the wall with the Diaz fight, still in Pride, in the US,...he never went past gatekeeper in the UFC,...damn....

Both Gomi and Kid were clearly on the decline before they came to the UFC though.

Would say Todd Duffee, he was supposed to run right through the HW division.

New Breed of MMA fighters that started learning MMA since young. <45>

Crocop was such a weird one. It's like he was gunshy or something. Plodding around, hardly throwing his killer kicks or left straight, and just getting picked apart.

I would laugh if most of crocops fights in ufc were clean lmao..then goofs and tells them he used hgh to heal his shoulder tho he tested clean i believe...

Mirko losing to brenda was a tough watch...

As a huge cc fan, I have to agree. He was given an easy path to a title s JFK ot, then got crocopped by Gonzaga and was never the same after that

There was no need for Gonzaga fight, should have fought Couture straight after Sanchez. He had higher reputation in MMA world at that time than UFC champion, should have not accepted anyone less than Couture at that time, or title fight vs Sylvia instead of Couture. All other fights were high risk low revard. Gonzaga was nobody then, just risk.

Surely Prime Cro Cop going 2-6 with his wins against Perosh and Al Turk plus a sort of win where Pat Barry let him beat him.

Dreadful.

And this is the guy that Pride nutcases would run through Jon Jones, Cormier and Miocic.

Cage and unified rules changed everything, helped his opponents with large space, circling, distance, no corners, and long fence pushing.
In the ring and Pride rules Cro Cop could run throught Miocic, Jones, Cormier or whoever from UFC, he would have at least even chances to beat anyone of them in the ring.
They are all dependant on american version of MMA for their game, Jones needs elbows and big space to move and keep distance and reach advantage, Stipe needs big space, fence and elbows, Cormier needs wire fence, elbows and rules that protect and favour wrestlers. They would all be weaker in the ring, and Cro Cop is a lot better in the ring.

Last edited:
During recent years it has to be Ben Askren. That trade was a huge miss

giphy.gif

I remember people saying Denis Kang was the guy to beat Anderson Silva

I agree with a lot of choices here.. But Reem wasn't a flop, he did pretty well and everyone knew he was chinny.

Definitely Askren and Cro Cop were the biggest in terms of hype/performance ratio.

Soukoudju, Lombard, Northcutt, also.

Gokhan Saki arrived with some hype due to his kickboxing pedigree, but went 1-1, then got injured and disappeared. Gilbert Melendez looked amazing in SF, then went 1-6 in the UFC.

Maybe post Edgar Maynard, but it's more like he got his soul stolen. And I'm tempted to say Rockhold, although it wasn't so much a flop as a dramatic fall from grace. It remains to be seen what happens with Gillespie post Lee.

Ben Askren came into the UFC with an undefeated record. People were making up storylines that Ben Askren was akin to GSP, except, Ben never got the opportunity. We all got to know the truth though.

This is why all reasonable call-outs should be answered. Without the fight happening, then anybody can say anything they want, and if they have the numbers to match, then many people will listen.

The truth can only be known after it happens. Before this, everything is hypothetical. LOL

? lol newbies...

Askren was about 7 years past prime when he came into the UFC. You do know he was retired for over a year right? He was making big bucks can smashing in Asia and retired from low risk high pay fights because of the various wear and tear related injuries he was suffering.

However, he always wanted to try his hand in the UFC and couldn't resist his last chance.

If Dana and co. wouldn't have fucked him, we would have had an opportunity to see him at his best.

Askren in 2012 would have been a very different fighter in the UFC.

Back