UFC-WEC merger

879lexus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Quality fights, but now I have to pay to watch...

The best top-to-bottom cards in mixed martial arts on a consistent basis were, unquestionably, delivered by the World Extreme Cagefighting. Those fights will now take place on a significantly larger stage as Zuffa has folded the WEC into the Ultimate Fighting Championship, effective with UFC 125 on Jan. 1.

The UFC and the WEC each had its own lightweight divisions and their own champions, but those divisions will merge. WEC champion Benson Henderson will defend his title on Dec. 16 against Anthony Pettis. The winner will meet the winner of the UFC lightweight title fight at UFC 125 between Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard later in 2011 for the undisputed belt.

The UFC will simply fold the WEC

seems like a very good idea to me

easy way to bulk up fight nights and undercards

also take any wec event add in a LHW match of say tito vs hamill and a HW bout of crocop vs schaub and you have a very good card that can easily sell and bring in $$$

easy way of taking a show to mexico ... wec card with cain vs JDS and its a massive sell

same as uk id of been delighted to go to the recent ufc in london if faber or aldo was on the card instead of over rated overhyped british TUFers

I just figure fighters will have to do more to stay now, so we should be seeing some more exciting fights...

Why is this in the grappling section?
But yes, it is incredibly awesome.

7 weight classes? Now there is 0 excuse to have a 50 dollar PPV sans a single title-bout. Hell they didn't have an excuse with just 5 classes, if you ask me. Trying to smoosh 2 PPVs in a single month reeks of cash-grabbing, especially when they lack title fights. 1 title defense per month w/ 5 classes = 2.5 defenses per year, with 7 you get ~2/year.

I know this kind of an unrelated rant but it irritates me that UFC's attempt to boost exposure and crush other orgs is leading to meh PPVs.

7 weight classes? Now there is 0 excuse to have a 50 dollar PPV sans a single title-bout. Hell they didn't have an excuse with just 5 classes, if you ask me. Trying to smoosh 2 PPVs in a single month reeks of cash-grabbing, especially when they lack title fights. 1 title defense per month w/ 5 classes = 2.5 defenses per year, with 7 you get ~2/year.

I know this kind of an unrelated rant but it irritates me that UFC's attempt to boost exposure and crush other orgs is leading to meh PPVs.

What? As a fight fan, the more events the better. Even if you disregard the brock fight(since it's only 4m inutes and overall means nothing for enjoyment of the card up to that point), UFC 121 was great to me. I expected more from Shields, but overall it was a good card. If no titles were on the line, it wouldn't matter.

I don't know why fans that are casual to the point where they only want to see title fights are also into things enough that they can complain about specific PPVs etc etc.

to make this relevant though, I've always seen more throws and exciting takedowns out of the lighter guys than I have in UFC events. It feels that way at least.

Rani Yahya and a bunch of others are now in the UFC.

i know man they spread the sick fights out so thinly just to milk it. 1 old pride card would be spread over like 10 events in ufc

I think this leads to plenty of great cards, both PPV and cable.
Was there any word on whether Versus will show new stuff or will it all go to Spike?

I think this leads to plenty of great cards, both PPV and cable.
Was there any word on whether Versus will show new stuff or will it all go to Spike?

if I remember right, versus will carry 4 UFC events per year

re: the guy who said "sometimes they grapple in the UFC", that doesn't cut it. This is to discuss SPECIFIC grappling in the UFC, or even generally - but not the UFC in general

If we want to discuss the merger here, let's focus on what it'll do to the grappling. IMO.

If "sometimes they grapple" were the criteria, we'd be able to discuss every UFC event here...but there's a forum for that already.

This here is more "did you see that take down in <x fight>?" "how does <fighter> finish this <submission>? I never thought that would actually work in a fight" etc.

For instance, there was shields/kampmann discussion, etc.

Your sarcasm isn't appreciated

What? As a fight fan, the more events the better. Even if you disregard the brock fight(since it's only 4m inutes and overall means nothing for enjoyment of the card up to that point), UFC 121 was great to me. I expected more from Shields, but overall it was a good card. If no titles were on the line, it wouldn't matter.

I don't know why fans that are casual to the point where they only want to see title fights are also into things enough that they can complain about specific PPVs etc etc.

to make this relevant though, I've always seen more throws and exciting takedowns out of the lighter guys than I have in UFC events. It feels that way at least.

Rani Yahya and a bunch of others are now in the UFC.

I am definitely a fight fan and while I'm not as rabid as some I'm certainly not casual. I definitely agree that more fights is better. I disagree however that UFC consistently puts out 50 dollar PPVS, this is my point of contention. A title fight (or multiple title fights) adds to my perceived value of a PPV. My perception of value will vary from other people's but in general if I'm not getting a title fight or at least a good number 1 contender match as my main event, I will not perceive the event as worth the money. I see it as this (it's an opinion, not claiming fact):
1.) Champions and championships are the UFC's best assets. Title eliminators/#1 contender matches are their second best. Solid middle of the pack fights with fighters on the verge of breaking into a #1 contender dialogue -> #1 contender match are third. Prospects and lower tier guys are fourth.
2.) A PPV typically gives you 5-6 fights IIRC.
3.) For me right now 1 UFC PPV (raw at ~50 bucks, excluding cheaper ways to watch and excluding the price of food/drink to accompany it) is just under 2 hours of work and provides just over 2 hours of entertainment.
4.) If the UFC wants me to risk my best asset (money) for entertainment they should, IMO, risk their's (title matches and #1 contender matches).
5.) If you add free/cheap ways to watch it the equation breaks down, and that's why I've been less critical of cards and seeing more UFC events since I watch them at Smokey Bones for an average of 30 dollars (and that covers me AND my little brother). I do however stand by my opinion that the UFC does not consistently push out 50 dollar cards. This may be due to my price sensitivity at the 50 dollar mark.

If the cheap ways to watch the UFC were to disappear (not likely but bear with me) then I'd go back to reading about it on SD.com and stop watching it, with the exception of the few cards that the UFC does put on that warrants me risking my money. That is my point of contention, if the UFC wants to broadcast an event every saturday on Spike I'd be all for it and would probably watch them all regardless of the cards' rosters. But if not wanting to give them what probably averages out to 70-80/mo to watch all of their PPVs just because they're saturating the market makes me less of a fan, then I guess I'll have to be "casual".

Back