UFC vet Cody McKenzie now works in marijuana production while fighting as he pleases

BringCodyBack

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
He once donated blood to make weight for a local show. He was disqualified for head-butting an opponent. He retired. In short, his career has been a colorful one, at least compared to many of his colleagues, who’ve cycled in and out of the UFC, never to be seen again.

The retirement didn’t last. McKenzie still fights, but not with the same goal. It’s about good opportunities. It’s about money. Mostly the latter.

“I’m a good fighter, but I’m not world champ,” he said. “Unless you’re the world champ in this sport, it’s pretty hard to make a payday.”

Two years ago, McKenzie suffered a bad knockout loss and shifted his priorities. He doesn’t just take fights to stay busy any more.

“If I feel it’s worth my time, I’ll do it, like a trip to Italy,” he said, describing a gig in May with the upstart Venator promotion that, surprise surprise, ended with a guillotine choke victory. “But I work. Last year, I was probably on the fishing boats seven months out of the year.”

The rest of the time, McKenzie lives in the Seattle area plying another trade: marijuana production. He works at Hang Roots, a warehouse owned by his girlfriend’s cousin that produces the plant in Washington state’s legal marijuana market.

“We’ve got the best,” he said. “Our slogan is, ‘Top shelf.’”

But mostly he trims plants, watching highlight reels on TV and listening to music. He also samples the product from time to time – quality control is important, of course.

The days of fighting as a featherweight are long gone. His girlfriend and a stable job have added 45 pounds to his frame. When he meets UFC vet Joe Riggs (41-7) on the Oct. 28 “Fight Night 2” card in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada, he will fight at a 180-pound catchweight.

“I’ve got a girl that feeds me,” he said.

McKenzie tried taking the well-traveled path. But at 28, he seems perfectly content to take another one.

“I’ve always been a laborer,” he said. “I’m not too smart. But now that the marijuana industry is popping off, it’s a nice little way to make a chunk of change.”

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/10/ufc-ve...juana-production-while-fighting-as-he-pleases

Cody is a fuckin legend lol

The most I don't give a single fuck fighter there ever was, he never gave a fuck what anyone thought about him he was just always himself.

The fighting in Nike shorts with the tags hanging off them and pockets was fucking epic

Right on Saigon.

UjGVYit.gif

Livin' the good life, huh? Good for him.

Cody is a fuckin legend lol

The most I don't give a single fuck fighter there ever was, he never gave a fuck what anyone thought about him he was just always himself.

The fighting in Nike shorts with the tags hanging off them and pockets was fucking epic
I thought he was more of a fuck up than a legend, but he seems like a very likable dude.

nice. he was an average fighter and now he's focusing on something that he's maybe more fit to do, being way more productive to society, most likely

If he is happy with life now, good for him.

Can't hate on that.

Always love watching this guy fight, win or lose. Best guillotine in MMA history.

And he's one of those 'real' fighters people talk about, always game, even when he is totally outmatched.

Glad to see he's doing alright.

Back