UFC Union

Yes theyl walk away from a money manking machine just because they have to give up a little more of the pie
every sport has had a period where the athletes got screwed , only a fool would think mma could continue like this forever.

You overestimate how much of the UFC's capital goes to the owners' personal wealth. The vast majority is reinvested in expansion and development. If you take away a legitimate profit incentive, you're damn right management would walk away. It's not worth it otherwise.

You overestimate how much of the UFC's capital goes to the owners' personal wealth. The vast majority is reinvested in expansion and development. If you take away a legitimate profit incentive, you're damn right management would walk away. It's not worth it otherwise.

vast majority ? can u back that up with figures
id be shocked if it was anything close to 10% of spending

Hi Dana :p

UFC is getting a lot of negative press lately and people are getting tired of it and people are starting to do something. It's only a matter of time really.

You out of everyone on here get on my nerves... go to your basement you keyboard warrior. We get it, F the fighters, Zuffa is god. Just Bleed, cool u like ssing fights cuz fighters arnt real athletes let alone people.

LOL Ok, sensitive guy. It upsets you that fighter x doesn't make a million dollars. This really bursts your bubble. Why? I have no idea. This same fighter x can give a f*ck what YOU make. But drama queens like yourself like to cry on the internet about another man's paycheck.

A cooks union organizing a fighters union? We have MMA "fans" applauding this? LOL at this guys.

I tend to be against unions, but in monopoly cases like this, I see real value
Monopoly? Wtf?

Fighters in OneFc, Bellator, and WSOF are earning 6 figures per fight.

LOL Ok, sensitive guy. It upsets you that fighter x doesn't make a million dollars. This really bursts your bubble. Why? I have no idea. This same fighter x can give a f*ck what YOU make. But drama queens like yourself like to cry on the internet about another man's paycheck.

Yup that's what's going on... no. I'm pissed at the douchbag things that you write on here. EITHER your trolling or a tool. Everyone gets dumber when they read what a nonothing like u says. Coming from an mma fighter its people like that make me realize what supposedly mma fans are like. Just that u are to the extreme...... the extremely stupid!

UFC is getting a lot of negative press lately and people are getting tired of it and people are starting to do something. It's only a matter of time really.

2015 is going to be one of UFC's best years, if not best.
The 'bad press' only resonates on a place like this
Ask fans that are not on Sherdog about Stitch & they have no idea.
Ask the same fans their opinion on Reebok & 90% don't care/know
They are receiving amazing press as far as the masses go with stars like Ronda & Conor getting attention.

This has zero to do with bad press. It is a way for culinary union to be a thorn in the side to Fertitta's.

This won't go anywhere.
In order for a union to start fighters would have to stop & basically go on strike & that will not happen.

Fighter pay is up & in a year or so, the Reebok deal (which was done horribly by Zuffa) will be the norm

What many posters here fail to realize is that a fighter's union would likely force UFC to cut a significant amount of fighters from the roster, or maybe even convince Zuffa to end its MMA venture. Unions can do a lot of good in certain situations, but all they can do here is whine and cause a drag on management functions.

I said this in the original thread on this subject

IF a union forms (it won't anytime soon), it will f over about 300 contracted fighters.
UFC has about 600 fighters on contract & pay the lower-end fighters 10x what Bellator does & covers their medical.
If cost go up fr Zuffa due to a union, they could cut 300 fighters from being on contract & still have 30 per division.
If they need a curtain-jerker, they can pay a local to fight for the event only & save the added cost of medical & travel.

300 fighters would most likely be hurt a year by a union.
The other group that would be hurt is the fans.

There will be less events with less fights on them.
If you are one of the many that hate when fighters only fight 2x a year, expect that to be the most with a union.
There other areas unions help is with work conditions, work regulations, etc. & UFC has never been called on those

Where a union would be good, would be things like video games & likenesses & those rights.

This won't go anywhere.
In order for a union to start fighters would have to stop & basically go on strike & that will not happen.

Yeah, that's kinda how strikes work. Its happened in every other sport if I'm not mistaken, so why not here. The union backing them is supposed to pay the fighters something to get them through this strike period.

Yeah, that's kinda how strikes work. Its happened in every other sport if I'm not mistaken, so why not here. The union backing them is supposed to pay the fighters something to get them through this strike period.

Good question.
Combat sports is completely individual (as you know).
That is tougher to organize.

Most of the top tier fighters are happy with UFC & if they still fight & UFC has a few hundred undercard guys striking then UFC will be fine!

If Ronda still fights then the PPV sells & the arena is packed.
If Jeter stays at SS & has different players with him than nobody goes to Yankee Stadium

If it was easy then Boxing would have had a union by now

I was wondering why the culinary union wasn't trying to rally the fighters. Turns out now they are.

The ufc plays ball, recognizes the union, gets legalized in NY.

Last edited:
Good question.
Combat sports is completely individual (as you know).
That is tougher to organize.

Most of the top tier fighters are happy with UFC & if they still fight & UFC has a few hundred undercard guys striking then UFC will be fine!

If Ronda still fights then the PPV sells & the arena is packed.
If Jeter stays at SS & has different players with him than nobody goes to Yankee Stadium

If it was easy then Boxing would have had a union by now
They have this witch seems to do the trick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali_Boxing_Reform_Act

What 'trick" does it do?

In your own link:
The Act has been criticized for numerous reasons. First off, the Act provides rules but leaves the enforcement of these rules to the state without defined guidelines

Read this - http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3032059

Most of what that covers has nothing to do with how Zuffa/UFC operates anyway.

has the legality of unionizing independent contractors been settled for ufc fighters?

vast majority ? can u back that up with figures
id be shocked if it was anything close to 10% of spending

Nope. UFC doesn't release financial statements, which is pretty standard for a company of its size. But you can glean this much by listening to Mr. Fertitta's public statements and checking them against publicly available information regarding UFC's transactions. It should be rather self-evident given the UFC's rapid expansion in the last few years. We know approximately how much UFC is worth, and its debt-income ratio. There was an article about in Forbes I believe (or some other econ magazine). You can extrapolate from there without needing to see its balance sheet and income statements.

Bottom line is that UFC pays what is fiscally responsible given its liabilities. You can see what happens when a company cuts too deeply into its liquid assets in order to appease the short term interests of fighters (Affliction). One small setback can sink the entire company. The companies that survive are structured to absorb the occasional (or inevitable) shit storm. As to UFC, what some people are calling "greed" is just boilerplate fiscal sanity.

Nope. UFC doesn't release financial statements, which is pretty standard for a company of its size. But you can glean this much by listening to Mr. Fertitta's public statements and checking them against publicly available information regarding UFC's transactions. It should be rather self-evident given the UFC's rapid expansion in the last few years. We know approximately how much UFC is worth, and its debt-income ratio. There was an article about in Forbes I believe (or some other econ magazine). You can extrapolate from there without needing to see its balance sheet and income statements.

Bottom line is that UFC pays what is fiscally responsible given its liabilities. You can see what happens when a company cuts too deeply into its liquid assets in order to appease the short term interests of fighters (Affliction). One small setback can sink the entire company. The companies that survive are structured to absorb the occasional (or inevitable) shit storm. As to UFC, what some people are calling "greed" is just boilerplate fiscal sanity.

Major props on the post
I am someone who was in a major union for 15 years & owned a business for 10 (same time), so I get both sides.
Too many have no idea of the business end & what it takes to stay solid.

Could Zuffa pay fighters more? = of course
Are Zuffa paying slave wages, etc.? = no
Was the Reebok deal handle correctly? = NO WAY
Have fighter salaries risen at a large rate? = yes

Plus UFC has 600 fighters they pay medical for & the bottom 300+ are making 10x more than they would elsewhere.

Like most companies there is good with bad & because of Dana's desire to act like a dick (a lot), people microscope the bad.
Also people still insist that the AC reported pay is what fighters make & refuse to acknowledge that fighters themselves admit they have made more money undisclosed to AC than AC disclosed.

Unions are fantastic to improve bad working conditions & things like no over-time, etc.
Those are not issues with UFC.
If UFC gets bigger (which I don't see happening in a large way) then things like likeness rights, etc. will be bigger issues IMO

Major props on the post
I am someone who was in a major union for 15 years & owned a business for 10 (same time), so I get both sides.
Too many have no idea of the business end & what it takes to stay solid.

Could Zuffa pay fighters more? = of course
Are Zuffa paying slave wages, etc.? = no
Was the Reebok deal handle correctly? = NO WAY
Have fighter salaries risen at a large rate? = yes

Plus UFC has 600 fighters they pay medical for & the bottom 300+ are making 10x more than they would elsewhere.

Like most companies there is good with bad & because of Dana's desire to act like a dick (a lot), people microscope the bad.
Also people still insist that the AC reported pay is what fighters make & refuse to acknowledge that fighters themselves admit they have made more money undisclosed to AC than AC disclosed.

Unions are fantastic to improve bad working conditions & things like no over-time, etc.
Those are not issues with UFC.
If UFC gets bigger (which I don't see happening in a large way) then things like likeness rights, etc. will be bigger issues IMO

Exactly. Dana's not such a bad guy either. He acts like a "dick" because it's his character. The conflict dynamic helps drive fan interest, which benefits everyone. Those who know him personally speak very highly of him.

And I agree about the unions. If UFC was shorting fighters on overtime or forcing them to work around asbestos, a union could help. But right now a union can only fuck things up.

Back