Ufc tournaments

Travisray

White Belt
Reaction score
Jus Wonderin if y'all would like to see the Ufc have contender tournaments kinda like what bellator does? i really enjoy Watchin their tourneys and if you think its even a possibility that it could ever happen With the Ufc.

Zuffa would never do it, and even if they wanted to I think most of the top tier would refuse to enter the tourney.

It definitely works for Bellator though, kind of disappointed with the whole "championship rematch" amendment to their format.

Zuffa would never do it, and even if they wanted to I think most of the top tier would refuse to enter the tourney.

It definitely works for Bellator though, kind of disappointed with the whole "championship rematch" amendment to their format.

How did pride get it to work? they always had their top guys enter.

Sometimes when two fighters go for war, even the winner gets a 60-day suspension. And 30-day suspension are handed extremely often.
So how does Belltor manages to have guys fighting 3 times in three months without athletic comissions ruining all is beyond my understanding.

Last edited:
How did pride get it to work? they always had their top guys enter.

The game has changed since then, the fighter mentality is almost gone entirely. I think guys like Liddell and Randy would have entered, but most top guys today would scoff at the idea of fighting three times in three months especially without knowing who their opponents would be.

That would be frickin' awesome. I think the UFC fighters have been pampered too much to get them to do it though.

The game has changed since then, the fighter mentality is almost gone entirely. I think guys like Liddell and Randy would have entered, but most top guys today would scoff at the idea of fighting three times in three months especially without knowing who their opponents would be.

I hate to have to agree with that. i miss the old warriors.

Sometimes when two fighters go for war, even the winner gets a 60-day suspension. And 30-day suspension are handed extremely often.
So how does Belltor manages to have guys fighting 3 times in three months without athletic comissions ruining all is beyond my understanding.

never thought of that good question

Because if you actually watched Bellator you would know several of their tournaments were marred with injuries. Kind of the way many of pride's/sengoku/dream/k-1's have been. ie: spang replacing rogers at the finale, neil grove getting multiple shots, etc.

Also, more importantly, bellator doesn't keep to tight schedules. If a guy is injured/sick/under 21, they just push the fight back. That's why they held 4 tournaments this season (fw/lw/ww/hw), but only one got completed (hw).

Last edited:
Because if you actually watched Bellator you would know several of their tournaments were marred with injuries. Kind of the way many of pride's/sengoku/dream/k-1's have been. ie: spang replacing rogers at the finale, neil grove getting multiple shots, etc.

Also, more importantly, bellator doesn't keep to tight schedules. If a guy is injured/sick/under 21, they just push the fight back. That's why they held 4 tournaments this season (fw/lw/ww/hw), but only one got completed (hw).

This. On top of that, the UFC won't be have adequate time to market the PPV's. Ticket sales will be hurt because they go on sale months in advance. FOX will be upset because they won't even know the exact lineup, and like others have said, there is no good reason for top contenders to enter the tournament. The tournament would actually eliminate contenders as well.

Basically, there is absolutely no logical reason to do this.

Remember strikeforce HW tourny?

Tournaments are just a bad business model for MMA in my opinion.

Too many people watch Bloodsport haha but yea unless the tournament happens in one week I dont see a point at all.

Jus Wonderin if y'all would like to see the Ufc have contender tournaments kinda like what bellator does? i really enjoy Watchin their tourneys and if you think its even a possibility that it could ever happen With the Ufc.

Now that UFC can no longer do tournaments in one night like they originally did, I'm not a fan of using a tournament format. Then you're locked into matchups, and fights can be delayed by injury/illness/contract issues. No thanks.

nope too many negatives for the UFC's level of fighter...

The UFC and UFC fighters have a mentality of too much to lose so I don't see them doing it. God forbid a 'champion' lose a match in a tournament even if he didn't lose his belt. His GOAT status may be tarnished forever!

The UFC and UFC fighters have a mentality of too much to lose so I don't see them doing it. God forbid a 'champion' lose a match in a tournament even if he didn't lose his belt. His GOAT status may be tarnished forever!

just for the sake of this conversation...thats not how bellator runs tournies

I think an occasional tourney like bellator would be cool. Especially in new divisions like the women's 135.

But I wouldn't want them to do it very often.

wouldnt mind seeing UFC scrap the current TUF format and doing a straight bellator-style tournament instead, all fights no drama.

PRIDE/K-1/DREAM/SRC type tournaments are the shit, but that will never happen in the UFC unfortunately.

ummmm

68615_10151310471904879_532094897_n.0_standard_400.0.jpg

Back