News UFC Told Formiga That He’s 1 of 75 Fighters to Be Cut

Well context is always good, and it's a shame those 75 aren't listed.

But 37 contracts in 10 weeks plus the 75 canned looks like bigger picture. Meaning this will be ongoing: more names out, more cans in. Save money short-term, worry about long-term later. I don't believe that tends to work out.

We'll see who they cut. I don't think the new guys will be getting paid less than Dequan Townsend, John Phillips, Bevon Lewis, Zelim Imadaev or a lot of other recent cuts.

Lower down the card they give initial four fight contracts and as a general rule if you go 0-4 or 1-3 they'll cut you and replace you with new blood.

Reactions: MCS
TUF has produced multiple world champions since it’s first season, fighters like Forrest Griffin, Tony Ferguson, Robert Whittaker, Michael Bisping all came from TUF. DWCS is a glorified regional promotion, the “talent” is all overhyped without fail.

And those world champions took how long to become world champions after TUF?

DWCS is only a few years old. Give it time.

And those world champions took how long to become world champions after TUF?

DWCS is only a few years old. Give it time.

Yep and a guy from DWCS is fighting for a world title this weekend.

Reactions: TCE
What's with the tears?

He's the Flavor of the Week lol, he'll be forgotten about in a Few days, Monday the earliest.

I like how people pretend to be fans of Formiga yet this is the FIRST Formiga thread made in quite some time with this much community involvement.

Nobody cared about Formiga nor made threads about him until he got released, it's just virtue signaling from Hypocrites imo. For those that are GENUINE fans of the guy, this isn't a bad thing if he's as important to 125 as he thinks he is, Bellator or One can pick him up.

If UFC Sucks, why would they want him to be apart of it?
<{vega}>

He's the Flavor of the Week lol, he'll be forgotten about in a Few days, Monday the earliest.

I like how people pretend to be fans of Formiga yet this is the FIRST Formiga thread made in quite some time with this much community involvement.

Nobody cared about Formiga nor made threads about him until he got released, it's just virtue signaling from Hypocrites imo. For those that are GENUINE fans of the guy, this isn't a bad thing if he's as important to 125 as he thinks he is, Bellator or One can pick him up.

If UFC Sucks, why would they want him to be apart of it?
<{vega}>

He'll go to ONE imo. Bellator doesn't have a flyweight division (missed opportunity on their part imo as they could easily put together a very good one) and pre-UFC he never tried moving up to BW to get into the UFC, so I don't think he'll do it now.

Sherdog is ridiculous. Contender series sucks, old vets are the shit, yet Formiga was destroyed by a guy from Contender series who will fight for the belt next by the way.
Also Formiga is 35 and lost his last 3 and got 100k show money for his last fight. UFC probably doesn’t think of him as such valuable asset

Sherdog is ridiculous. Contender series sucks, old vets are the shit, yet Formiga was destroyed by a guy from Contender series who will fight for the belt next by the way.
Also Formiga is 35 and lost his last 3 and got 100k show money for his last fight. UFC probably doesn’t think of him as such valuable asset

Another thing is when the older guys get moved on, the newer guys are moving up in terms of contracts too. It's not like Perez, Shahbazyan, Heinisch, Walker, Sakai etc are still on the 12/12 contracts they got on DWCS. When the up and coming fighters get bumps in pay, it generally means that guys who signed contracts of 60/80/100k to show and aren't performing like that anymore are going be moved on unless they're happy to take a pay cut.

People can argue that the overall budget for fighter pay should be increased, but that's how it's operating within the current budget.

THANK YOU! Finally someone said it. These signings completely delegitimize the sport and encourage sloppiness over effective technique and skill. MMA is regressing hard!
Dana is cashing out. He can sign 10 fighters for 10k, or retain one for 100k. Easy for him

Formiga told MMA Fighting he was informed of the release this past week, one month after the company reached out asking if he was healthy to compete before the end of the year.

“My manager said I was on the final stages of recovery, but wasn’t 100 percent ready to fight yet, and they said OK,” Formiga said. “They contacted my manager again last week and said they were going to cut 75 athletes, and I was one of them. What am I going to do? If they decided to cut me, there’s nothing I can do.”

“When I won four in a row, they said they couldn’t create an interim belt because Cejudo had the undisputed [belt]. It’s complex to think that way. That’s why I say I didn’t feel completely valued in the UFC. And I was the only guy to beat the current champion [laughs]. They just don’t give a f*ck. If they wouldn’t value me, then I’ll find my value elsewhere. I’ll find out my true worth”.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/11...rmiga-ufc-release-never-felt-truly-valued-mma

UFC just handed out a record 37 contracts during this season of DWCS and it seems like they are going to cut more expensive veterans and replace them with these fighters who will be content fighting for 12k show/12k win bonuses.

Wow 75 cuts is alot in one go. I have a theory... Alot of guys this year have been turning fights down like crazy hence why you see weak cards even this Saturday is a good example. So I am thinking UFC is getting rid of alot of these guys that have been turning down fights a ton. They likely werent the best talent either and where win some lose some type of fighters.

UFC is pretty much just cleaning house to make room for newer hungrier talent

Not a fan of this move at all

Wow 75 cuts is alot in one go. I have a theory... Alot of guys this year have been turning fights down like crazy hence why you see weak cards even this Saturday is a good example. So I am thinking UFC is getting rid of alot of these guys that have been turning down fights a ton. They likely werent the best talent either and where win some lose some type of fighters.

UFC is pretty much just cleaning house to make room for newer hungrier talent

They also signed loads of guys this year as late replacements that they probably wouldn't have picked up under normal circumstances, so the roster is absolutely massive right now.

So they want to cut the overall quality of the UFC. And maybe make it a bit more "domestic" again. (in these times)

Dude is 35 and is on a 3 fight losing streak. Getting brutally finished twice in that streak.

What's with the tears?

Well, I haven't posted a comment yet in defense or for the move.

From what I can tell most guys like watching fighters they recognize. Every hardcore should know Jussier.

They also are concerned UFC just wants to hire cheap guys.

I share both the above concerns but acknowledge you and a few others supporting it have valid arguments.

The entire roster is going to be people Uncle Dana signs from his contender series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back