News UFC Told Formiga That He’s 1 of 75 Fighters to Be Cut

Welcome to corporate America. Nothing changes until the fans make Dana shit himself realizing how pissed off we are.
They are predatory scumbags literally dissecting the sport into pieces of financial assets, cutting good fighters, and insert people who are cheaper and worse.
Much like when a quality food or other consumer packaged good gets bought out by a huge corporation and then suddenly the "same thing" is of worse quality,

And that's not even a diss to all DWCS fighters. Some are great and they shouldn't have to go thru that fake ass show fighting for nothing while begging Dana.

Fighters get paid for fighting on DWCS. I'm not sure how much, but it's certainly not less than they get for fighting on a regional card.

To be honest in their defence most of the established fighters they're letting go seem to be coming to the end of their useful period and are on the way down. Formiga like I said upthread could still be a good gatekeeper, but he's on the downside of his career. Similar to letting the likes of Dodson, Mutante, Dolloway etc go, names, but names on the downslide.

The only real exceptions are fighters who they get outbid for by Bellator because they're boring and they don't care about keeping them like Pettis, Corey, Khabilov, Johns etc.

Oh and Elias, who got canned for being Elias.
There is literally no other reason than money and power.
"down side of their career" is bullshit excuse IMO.
You either win the fight or you don't and you either have abilities worth watching (aka am I amped to see this person hit the guy or a sub?) or you're not. I've been watching the sport long enough to know shit like DWCS is lower caliber MMA at a cheaper price being pawned off on us AND a mix of guys clearly ready being given a tune up for low pay.

Last edited:
There is literally no other reason than money and power.
"down side of their career" is bullshit excuse IMO.
You either win the fight or you don't and you either have abilities worth watching (aka am I amped to see this person hit the guy or a sub?) or you're not. I've been watching the sport long enough to know shit like DWCS is lower caliber MMA at a cheaper price being pawned off on us.

It's just bringing in prospects to fill the lower slots on the card which is what they've always done.

Formiga lost his last fight by stoppage to a DWCS fighter anyway.

Fighters get paid for fighting on DWCS. I'm not sure how much, but it's certainly not less than they get for fighting on a regional card.
lol no shit it's better than some regional crap card, but it's still not UFC money while being under the contractual control and having your likeness and skills used by the UFC while not being paid to be in the UFC.
If the DWCS wants to make a D-league with guys who have little or no pro experience great, but otherwise it's like telling people with 10 years job experience they need to get hired as an intern for minimum wage, which is total bullshit.

lol no shit it's better than some regional crap card, but it's still not UFC money while being under the contractual control and having your likeness and skills used by the UFC while not being paid to be in the UFC.
If the DWCS wants to make a D-league with guys who have little or no pro experience great, but otherwise it's like telling people with 10 years job experience they need to get hired as an intern for minimum wage, which is total bullshit.

How is it any different to TUF though? People didn't even get paid in TUF and they usually had to quit their jobs and stuff to spend an extended period of time in the house.

At least with DWCS people are getting paid and not having to quit work to chase a dream that might not happen.

It's just bringing in prospects to fill the lower slots on the card which is what they've always done.

Formiga lost his last fight by stoppage to a DWCS fighter anyway.
He lost his last fight to a highly skilled world ranked fighter who was forced into fighting for less than his skills are worth thru a newly devised labor control scam called DWCS despite a 21 fight pro career that easily proved he was UFC ready.
It's total delusion to think DWCS, the UFC, or fatfuck Dana has anything to do with Alex Perez being a savage who had a 17-4 record before having to beg bald goof for a contract.

He lost his last fight to a highly skilled world ranked fighter who was forced into fighting for less than his skills are worth thru a newly devices labor control scam despite a 21 fight pro career that easily proved he was UFC ready.
It's total delusion to think DWCS, the UFC, or fatfuck Dana has anything to do with Alex Perez being a savage who had a 17-4 record before having to beg bald goof for a contract.

He's still making what entry level fighters in the UFC make anyway. Perez had fought for places like Tachi etc before the UFC and wasn't a name fighter. They've never paid guys like that coming in a lot of money, he was about as established as Darrell Montague was for example.

How is it any different to TUF though? People didn't even get paid in TUF and they usually had to quit their jobs and stuff to spend an extended period of time in the house.

At least with DWCS people are getting paid and not having to quit work to chase a dream that might not happen.
Because TUF provided national ongoing exposure for a period of at least 10 consecutive weeks and afforded almost everyone on the show at least 2-3 chances (1-3 fights on show, 1-3 fights in UFC after) on real cards while being given real TV exposure.
DWCS isn't even on ESPN and they're glorified smoker fights where you get 30 seconds of promo before your fight and then maybe 1 minute to beg Dana if you win. Not even remotely close to getting to build a fanbase thru reality TV.

TUF produced shitloads of guys who were gatekeepers at best, but were beloved by fans because of TUF. Because it was a legitimate exchange of exposure for labor as a castmate on a show.

seems like the talent level in mma is diminishing, at least in North America. As we hear more about broken down CTE riddled current and ex UFC fighters unable to pay for rent or Surgery the less and less people will pursue mma.

Sure, the ufc has open more markets and training methods have improved significantly the past half decade but the depth of natural talent has decreased immensely.

look at the LHW division, UFC used to have forest, Rashad, rampage, shogun and machida In the top ten. Now we have Reyes, Jan and Israel....???

All thanks to the bald father keeping fighters poor.
Agree except that LHW is stacked right now, you just haven’t been paying attention

Because TUF provided national ongoing exposure for a period of at least 10 consecutive weeks and afforded almost everyone on the show at least 2-3 chances (1-3 fights on show, 1-3 fights in UFC after) on real cards while being given real TV exposure.
DWCS isn't on ESPN and they're smoker fights where you get 30 seconds of promo before your fight and then maybe 1 minute to beg Dana if you win. Not even remotely close to getting to build a fanbase thru reality TV.

How many fighters did TUF actually work out for though? How many fighters went through TUF, quit their job, lost their first round fight and then never even got a fight on the finale. Fighters who did get chosen to have a fight on the finale usually got cut if they lost it unless they were in the finals too.

Formiga told MMA Fighting he was informed of the release this past week, one month after the company reached out asking if he was healthy to compete before the end of the year.

“My manager said I was on the final stages of recovery, but wasn’t 100 percent ready to fight yet, and they said OK,” Formiga said. “They contacted my manager again last week and said they were going to cut 75 athletes, and I was one of them. What am I going to do? If they decided to cut me, there’s nothing I can do.”

“When I won four in a row, they said they couldn’t create an interim belt because Cejudo had the undisputed [belt]. It’s complex to think that way. That’s why I say I didn’t feel completely valued in the UFC. And I was the only guy to beat the current champion [laughs]. They just don’t give a f*ck. If they wouldn’t value me, then I’ll find my value elsewhere. I’ll find out my true worth”.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/11...rmiga-ufc-release-never-felt-truly-valued-mma

UFC just handed out a record 37 contracts during this season of DWCS and it seems like they are going to cut more expensive veterans and replace them with these fighters who will be content fighting for 12k show/12k win bonuses.

This is the way I see it.

It's partly a money-saving exercise in that these new Contender fighters will be on cheap contracts, and so if UFC cuts 40 to 75 "expensive" fighters, there's a net saving on that, basically the roster is a little bit cheaper.

And secondly, they're looking for new standout stars-in-the-making. They have lost in the last few years previous $$$-making fighters like (in no order) : Rousey / Tate / Bisping / Cormier / Conor / Khabib (maybe) / Velasquez / George St Pierre / Anderson Silva (he's done) / and Jon Jones whilst still there has always been in trouble & therefore unreliable.

How many fighters did TUF actually work out for though? How many fighters went through TUF, quit their job, lost their first round fight and then never even got a fight on the finale. Fighters who did get chosen to have a fight on the finale usually got cut if they lost it unless they were in the finals too.
lol TUF worked out for an enormous amount of guys, a far higher ratio than DWCS, and now you're just pulling stuff out of your ass.

To be honest in their defense most of the established fighters they're letting go seem to be coming to the end of their useful period and are on the way down. Formiga like I said upthread could still be a good gatekeeper, but he's on the downside of his career. Similar to letting the likes of Dodson, Mutante, Dolloway etc go, names, but names on the downslide.

The only real exceptions are fighters who they get outbid for by Bellator because they're boring and they don't care about keeping them like Pettis, Corey, Khabilov, Johns etc.

Oh and Elias, who got canned for being Elias.

Well context is always good, and it's a shame those 75 aren't listed.

But 37 contracts in 10 weeks plus the 75 canned looks like bigger picture. Meaning this will be ongoing: more names out, more cans in. Save money short-term, worry about long-term later. I don't believe that tends to work out.

The whole organisation is a complete joke, why?
...the criteria for being cut is not being inactive or being a vet, its all about ppv and how popular the fighters are, plus Danas huge ego.

how you gon cut a top 5 guy...gtfo!

I hope you slip on a 5 dollar bill you buttfucked lil melon head <3>

This is the way I see it.

It's partly a money-saving exercise in that these new Contender fighters will be on cheap contracts, and so if UFC cuts 40 to 75 "expensive" fighters, there's a net saving on that, basically the roster is a little bit cheaper.

And secondly, they're looking for new standout stars-in-the-making. They have lost in the last few years previous $$$-making fighters like (in no order) : Rousey / Tate / Bisping / Cormier / Conor / Khabib (maybe) / Velasquez / George St Pierre / Anderson Silva (he's done) / and Jon Jones whilst still there has always been in trouble & therefore unreliable.
What does DWCS have to do with finding stars though really?
There is nothing star-building about smoker fights on ESPN+
Every single person you listed was "discovered" through being good, having a good record, and having good tape. Many were on cable TV already with Strikeforce

Khabib was in the UFC for YEARS before he got a push. YEARS.
He wasn't a star. He was a GOAT level ability fighter UNDER UFC CONTRACT and still not getting his shine because the UFC are TV CASTING DIRECTORS and little more. They didn't want the russian dwarf guy as the face until it was undeniable he was the best. No push, no POTNs, just a dude grinding wins against tough dudes.

They're bringing back TUF. DWCS is a millions times better than that shite.

DWCS is fun, it feeds the JBG's and actually does produce talent (Neal, Holland, Perez, etc.). TUF is fucking garbage and should be in the waste bins by now.
TUF has produced multiple world champions since it’s first season, fighters like Forrest Griffin, Tony Ferguson, Robert Whittaker, Michael Bisping all came from TUF. DWCS is a glorified regional promotion, the “talent” is all overhyped without fail.

The whole organisation is a complete joke, why?
...the criteria for being cut is not being inactive or being a vet, its all about ppv and how popular the fighters are, plus Danas huge ego.

how you gon cut a top 5 guy...gtfo!

I hope you slip on a 5 dollar bill you buttfucked lil melon head <3>
I legitimately believe Dana has enough ego that if the fans actually started to turn on him, we could force the UFC to pay and sign better fighters lol.

lol TUF worked out for an enormous amount of guys, a far higher ratio than DWCS, and now you're just pulling stuff out of your ass.

it worked out for a relatively small amount of guys and the guys who got signed other than the winners weren't immediately on big contracts and had to work their way up the rankings like the Contender Series fighters do.

Go and look at some of the rosters for those TUF seasons. Take season 6 for example.

Team Serra
Team Hughes
  • Dan Barrera, Blake Bowman, Mac Danzig, Paul Georgieff, Billy Miles, Dorian Price, Jared Rollins, Tom Speer

How many of those guys made any money. Danzig, Sot, Saunders and War Machine?

The rest gave up a couple of months of their life for either a couple of low paid or in some cases no UFC fights.

That sucks.
How a top 5 guy gets cut is beyond me. UFC gonna UFC.

The only way I can be okay with this is if the other 74 fighters are all from WMMA divisions.

Can we cancel DWCS? It produces such a low level of talent, when they are many more deserving fighters out there.

The UFC is quickly sliding into C-level kickboxing territory. All the fights you see today are sloppy brawling matches with no skill or defense whatsoever. Sad!

Bald Goof is a complete jackass. In before the useless shills try to defend him.

This is fucking bullshit.

MMA is starving for talent why are they cutting top 10 talent?

I hate those sloppy brawlers they sign on that awful reality TV show.

thats not what mma is about.

UFC is a joke.

Why is Dana so hellbent on filling the UFC with these regional level cans with 5-0 records while cutting veterans

Dude is 35 and is on a 3 fight losing streak. Getting brutally finished twice in that streak.

What's with the tears?

Back