News UFC Told Formiga That He’s 1 of 75 Fighters to Be Cut

Can we cancel DWCS? It produces such a low level of talent, when they are many more deserving fighters out there.

They're bringing back TUF. DWCS is a millions times better than that shite.

DWCS is fun, it feeds the JBG's and actually does produce talent (Neal, Holland, Perez, etc.). TUF is fucking garbage and should be in the waste bins by now.

Understandable. They have to make room for a few wmma fighters.

The 6 WMMA amateurs that Dana signed this season had a combined record of 27-7 coming into the series, one of them making their pro debut. The last two are absolute cans, one of them has a 2018 loss to Shannon Sinn (whose MMA record is 5-8). He is filling the roster with carnies and Winghouse rejects. It's getting really pathetic.

The UFC is quickly sliding into C-level kickboxing territory. All the fights you see today are sloppy brawling matches with no skill or defense whatsoever. Sad!
5atky8oq2zv11.png

Formiga told MMA Fighting he was informed of the release this past week, one month after the company reached out asking if he was healthy to compete before the end of the year.

“My manager said I was on the final stages of recovery, but wasn’t 100 percent ready to fight yet, and they said OK,” Formiga said. “They contacted my manager again last week and said they were going to cut 75 athletes, and I was one of them. What am I going to do? If they decided to cut me, there’s nothing I can do.”

“When I won four in a row, they said they couldn’t create an interim belt because Cejudo had the undisputed [belt]. It’s complex to think that way. That’s why I say I didn’t feel completely valued in the UFC. And I was the only guy to beat the current champion [laughs]. They just don’t give a f*ck. If they wouldn’t value me, then I’ll find my value elsewhere. I’ll find out my true worth”.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/11...rmiga-ufc-release-never-felt-truly-valued-mma

UFC just handed out a record 37 contracts during this season of DWCS and it seems like they are going to cut more expensive veterans and replace them with these fighters who will be content fighting for 12k show/12k win bonuses.

Relax, most of those 75 cuts will be guys on 12k/12k. They just cut Justin Ledet, John Phillips and Bevon Lewis - all three of whom fit the bill you're talking about. Formiga was old as shit, on a losing streak and has lost to most top guys he's fought. He isn't marketable and nobody cares to see him fight the champion again.

The 6 WMMA amateurs that Dana signed this season had a combined record of 27-7 coming into the series, one of them making their pro debut. The last two are absolute cans, one of them has a 2018 loss to Shannon Sinn (whose MMA record is 5-8). He is filling the roster with carnies and Winghouse rejects. It's getting really pathetic.

You're right about Wolf, brought in because she's a tall 145 pounder with a modest boxing record and good for a couple of over-hyped fights. The Leonardo split decision loss to Sinn doesn't count though because it was kickboxing not mma, a different sport.

Relax, most of those 75 cuts will be guys on 12k/12k. They just cut Justin Ledet, John Phillips and Bevon Lewis - all three of whom fit the bill you're talking about. Formiga was old as shit, on a losing streak and has lost to most top guys he's fought. He isn't marketable and nobody cares to see him fight the champion again.

Yeah, if he was working his way back to a Figgy rematch they'd probably have kept him, but I suppose he kept losing. I still like him as a gatekeeper though.

Agreed that most of the cuts will be prelim fighters with the odd veteran mixed in who are relatively expensive and not particularly relevant in their divisions anymore or draws (thinking people like Nik Lentz for example).

Leonardo's only MMA losses are to Miranda Maverick twice and to Erin Blanchfield. Maverick is already in the UFC and Blanchfield will be soon.

No shame in losing to two of the top prospects in the world at that weight.

The Leonardo split decision loss to Sinn doesn't count though because it was kickboxing not mma, a different sport.

She's a self-proclaimed soccer mom who got into the UFC by beating (in Dana's own words) a "one-dimensional fighter with no ground game" with a 3-1 record.

DWCS is basically LFA prelims now.

Well he should have been ready to go before the end of the year.

She's a self-proclaimed soccer mom who got into the UFC by beating (in Dana's own words) a "one-dimensional fighter with no ground game" with a 3-1 record.

DWCS is basically LFA prelims now.

Dana and the UFC were so up for signing the Muay Thai World Champ for their down under cards, of course he spat the dummy when she lost. Never seen Leonardo in a boring fight btw, which is why I picked her to win.

I don't disagree with your assessment of DWCS, I guess they're cheap though and they might strike gold.

DWCS is just a cheap way of making brawlers known to the audience before they will likely lose to better competition. They basically hope to produce a lot of Mike Perrys fpr cheap because they dont pay them anything.
Instead of supporting that shit show, better watch some european or eastern shows. They got the real talent there.

It does look like with the ESPN deal, the number of cards being God, it does not matter who they fill those cards with. Views will stay in "acceptable" range. So of course the move is to sign cans for peanuts and kick out the good fighters with better contracts. Make divisions top heavy and fill the depth with whoever.

But long-term there will be some shit contenders and the card quality will keep dropping. Then the views will drop. This is so typical for them.

It does look like with the ESPN deal, the number of cards being God, it does not matter who they fill those cards with. Views will stay in "acceptable" range. So of course the move is to sign cans for peanuts and kick out the good fighters with better contracts. Make divisions top heavy and fill the depth with whoever.

But long-term there will be some shit contenders and the card quality will keep dropping. Then the views will drop. This is so typical for them.

To be honest in their defence most of the established fighters they're letting go seem to be coming to the end of their useful period and are on the way down. Formiga like I said upthread could still be a good gatekeeper, but he's on the downside of his career. Similar to letting the likes of Dodson, Mutante, Dolloway etc go, names, but names on the downslide.

The only real exceptions are fighters who they get outbid for by Bellator because they're boring and they don't care about keeping them like Pettis, Corey, Khabilov, Johns etc.

Oh and Elias, who got canned for being Elias.

Can we cancel DWCS? It produces such a low level of talent, when they are many more deserving fighters out there.
Welcome to corporate America. Nothing changes until the fans make Dana shit himself realizing how pissed off we are.
They are predatory scumbags literally dissecting the sport into pieces of financial assets, cutting good fighters, and insert people who are cheaper and worse.
Much like when a quality food or other consumer packaged good gets bought out by a huge corporation and then suddenly the "same thing" is of worse quality,

And that's not even a diss to all DWCS fighters. Some are great and they shouldn't have to go thru that fake ass show fighting for nothing while begging Dana at the end like its some Roman Emperor deciding if a gladiator lives or dies.

Last edited:
Back