News UFC Told Formiga That He’s 1 of 75 Fighters to Be Cut

Brodie

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Formiga told MMA Fighting he was informed of the release this past week, one month after the company reached out asking if he was healthy to compete before the end of the year.

“My manager said I was on the final stages of recovery, but wasn’t 100 percent ready to fight yet, and they said OK,” Formiga said. “They contacted my manager again last week and said they were going to cut 75 athletes, and I was one of them. What am I going to do? If they decided to cut me, there’s nothing I can do.”

“When I won four in a row, they said they couldn’t create an interim belt because Cejudo had the undisputed [belt]. It’s complex to think that way. That’s why I say I didn’t feel completely valued in the UFC. And I was the only guy to beat the current champion [laughs]. They just don’t give a f*ck. If they wouldn’t value me, then I’ll find my value elsewhere. I’ll find out my true worth”.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/11...rmiga-ufc-release-never-felt-truly-valued-mma

UFC just handed out a record 37 contracts during this season of DWCS and it seems like they are going to cut more expensive veterans and replace them with these fighters who will be content fighting for 12k show/12k win bonuses.

Last edited:
This is fucking bullshit.

MMA is starving for talent why are they cutting top 10 talent?

I hate those sloppy brawlers they sign on that awful reality TV show.

thats not what mma is about.
THANK YOU! Finally someone said it. These signings completely delegitimize the sport and encourage sloppiness over effective technique and skill. MMA is regressing hard!

Damn, I just posted in another thread a few minutes ago that it must have been a money dispute. I had no idea that it was an injury issue. I hope they re-sign him. Like he said, he's the only one to ever beat Figgy, and the rematch would get a lot of viewers.

This is fucking bullshit.

MMA is starving for talent why are they cutting top 10 talent?

I hate those sloppy brawlers they sign on that awful reality TV show.

thats not what mma is about.

seems like the talent level in mma is diminishing, at least in North America. As we hear more about broken down CTE riddled current and ex UFC fighters unable to pay for rent or Surgery the less and less people will pursue mma.

Sure, the ufc has open more markets and training methods have improved significantly the past half decade but the depth of natural talent has decreased immensely.

look at the LHW division, UFC used to have forest, Rashad, rampage, shogun and machida In the top ten. Now we have Reyes, Jan and Israel....???

All thanks to the bald father keeping fighters poor.

Last edited:
Hopefully he can get a deal with Bellator, at least they allow your own sponsors.

The only way I can be okay with this is if the other 74 fighters are all from WMMA divisions.
I'd actually be surprised if they even had that many women on contract <Lmaoo>.

he's on a 3 fight losing streak, and is 35. he was finished in 2 of his last 3 fights. i don't see what's wrong with the cut?
Wiman just got another fight announced despite being about the same age, not having fought for like 6 years before recently coming back and getting dominated by one raw prospect and a bust in Luis Pena.

Add in the fact that they approached Jussier for a fight before learning he was nursing an injury and it's pretty clear that they're not releasing him because he's "past it".

UFC are cutting all the guys who don't fight and take up space in the ranking and don't give any net excitement. I think it is for the better....

He just fought a few months ago at UFC 250 and is dealing with an injury. Probably from that jerkoff who kicked his leg for 4 minutes straight (hopefully he gets slaughtered this Saturday).

Back