UFC to hold payment of 'fight-night' bonuses until after return of drug tests

Was wondering about that in regards to Matthew Riddle. He won the submission of the night at UFC 149, but that win was later overturned into a no contest when he tested positive for marijuana.

Yes, but they get fined. Personally, I think they should be fined more than guys who fail to make the weight; as much as twice as much (40% of their purse and 40% of their win bonus).

Agreed, but I think giving guys a contract that says if they accept this money, it can be taken away if they took a banned substance would suffice.

The UFC's independent testing catches a heck of a lot more fighters than the various state athletic commissions do.

Also, unlike the bulk of Japanese MMA promotions and drug testers, they actually catch people on stuff occasionally. :icon_chee

Who, Overeem?

Outside of Roy, the 146 PC, GSP/Condit and BJ/Rory who else does random testing?

Silly, Silly, Silly these are not big amounts for the UFC if they did it they did it give them the money it will hurt them for future earnings.

Was wondering about that in regards to Matthew Riddle. He won the submission of the night at UFC 149, but that win was later overturned into a no contest when he tested positive for marijuana.

I still think getting a NC for marijuana is stupid. You can't tell me it's a PED with a straight face.

Yes, but they get fined. Personally, I think they should be fined more than guys who fail to make the weight; as much as twice as much (40% of their purse and 40% of their win bonus).

Agreed, but I think giving guys a contract that says if they accept this money, it can be taken away if they took a banned substance would suffice.

The UFC's independent testing catches a heck of a lot more fighters than the various state athletic commissions do.

Also, unlike the bulk of Japanese MMA promotions and drug testers, they actually catch people on stuff occasionally. :icon_chee

When has the UFC independent testing ever caught someone? Every UFC fighter that has been busted has been busted by SAC.

You think with all the injuries the UFC already had in 2012, they would be willing to take fighters off cards for catching them independently and telling the SACs? lol.

This might work if the UFC's drug testing didn't absolutely suck.

On one level I agree with you, but based on the number of fighters they catch in any given year compared to the number of competitors, either their drug testing is considerably better than most other sports or fighters are considerably dumber than most other athletes.

After all, a drug test, especially a scheduled one, is really just an IQ test.

So what about FOTN?

Does the other person get it? Do they get both halves?

And can we retroactively strip Forrest for his bonus against Silva (been trying to do that for the last 3 1/2 years)?

Busting fighters for being on any drug that isn't a PED isn't smart IMO. Let the Feds enforce their own laws.

Still, it's good for the UFC to try and get out in front of this problem. Look at the whole Lance Armstrong debacle, or the past fifteen years of baseball. Rampant PED use can eventually tarnish a sport's reputation far more than all the "he smack-talked his way to a title shot" that's so fashionable to complain about these days.

So what about FOTN?

Does the other person get it? Do they get both halves?

And can we retroactively strip Forrest for his bonus against Silva (been trying to do that for the last 3 1/2 years)?

How are you gonna strip him of it? He more than likely spent that money considering it was three and a half years ago.

But you didn't, either explain or don't.

I'll give it a go:

marijuana has pain relieving/pain inhibiting properties. That's the whole "medical marijuana" scam that several states are using to allow marijuana sales. The argument that for many kinds of pain marijuana is a superior pain reliever, and in some cases the only functional pain reliever.

Can you think of any "performance enhancing" properties of taking a pain reliever that is significantly superior to any kind of over-the-counter pain reliever? Train harder, train longer, take more punishment than you could if you were not taking that pain reliever.

It isn't just banned because the fuzz is trying to harsh Nick's mellow.

How are you gonna strip him of it? He more than likely spent that money considering it was three and a half years ago.

I'm sure that Forrest has more then $60,000 on hand. But it was a joke, much like the joke of someone getting an extra $60,000 for putting on that "performance".

I'm sure that Forrest has more then $60,000 on hand. But it was a joke, much like the joke of someone getting an extra $60,000 for putting on that "performance".

Yeah, it shouldn't have got FOTN but I'm sure he spent that money already, besides he needed something to feel good about after that 'performance'

I'll give it a go:

marijuana has pain relieving/pain inhibiting properties. That's the whole "medical marijuana" scam that several states are using to allow marijuana sales. The argument that for many kinds of pain marijuana is a superior pain reliever, and in some cases the only functional pain reliever.

Can you think of any "performance enhancing" properties of taking a pain reliever that is significantly superior to any kind of over-the-counter pain reliever? Train harder, train longer, take more punishment than you could if you were not taking that pain reliever.

Nice try but you failed. You actually had me laughing though.

I'll give it a go:

I'm sorry but I laughed when I read your post out loud. Yes, marijuana is something a fighter would take before a fight to gain a competitive edge, and it's not in their system because marijuana lasts for a long time in your system. It's not like these fighters smoked days if not weeks or more before the fight due to stress or like you said, pain relief from training and it still wasn't cleansed from their system.

You act like that's the only effect marijuana has, and that it wouldn't slow a fighter down. Who the fuck wants to go exercise after smoking or eating weed? I know the average stoner doesn't, and it wouldn't help anyone doing anything laborious. It's definitely not beneficial coming from personal experience.

Now that I think of it, I remember being ripped with a friend walking around in a shitty neighbourhood, and the last thing both of was wanted was to get into a fight, and we were probably looking for trouble before that.

Back