UFC the major leagues and every other organization are the minors??

Gusto45

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Now that the UFC owns Strikeforce, WEC and has purchased every other up and coming organization, would you say that they are the major leagues of MMA and any other organization are the minor leagues? I mean they obviously have a Monopoly when it comes to putting on the big shows with the big names. How does everyone feel about that? I think its going to come to a point where the cards are going to have to be more frequent in order to give the fans the fights they want to see...

They've been the major league since pride folded. I'm fine with it personally. As a fan, i'm more likely to see the fights i want.

It's better for fighters too. People will say that competition is better for fighter pay, but I haven't seen compelling evidence that there's a large enough market for MMA for another large org like the UFC. Fighters are being paid more now than they were in the Pride/UFC days.

I think, in a way, its not actually a bad thing. If all the good fighters are in one organisation then its much easier for the best fighters in the world to face each other.

Kinda sucks for 2 top guys to be unable to fight due to being in different promotions.

More like UFC is FIFA and others are MLS

or UFC is NBA all others are China

it's as good a metaphor as any. but not perfect. so you'll hear lots of no's.

They've been the major league since pride folded. I'm fine with it personally. As a fan, i'm more likely to see the fights i want.

It's better for fighters too. People will say that competition is better for fighter pay, but I haven't seen compelling evidence that there's a large enough market for MMA for another large org like the UFC. Fighters are being paid more now than they were in the Pride/UFC days.

Competition is still good for fighter pay (not that I care about the issue, but it's simple economics). Pay is better now than the Pride days because revenue is so much higher (much more to do with success on television - TUF, SPIKE deal, FOX deal, etc., than removing the main competitor). But as long as orgs like Bellator are around to offer a reasonable contract, the UFC can't really hold lower level fighter's feet to the flame on a shitty deal. They have options. If the UFC were truly the only game in town they could really low ball guys.

Last edited:
Theres a big drop off between them and them and Bellator but they've catching, they're still many years away but they have a lot of talent and have done an a great job at bringing in talented prospects.

At the moment the UFC are the only Major, people that dont follow MMA would know what UFC is but not MMA. It wont be like that for ever though.

It is and it's good. I hated imagining what matchups would be like but knowing that they're was no chance of them ever happening. I want all the best fighters under one roof.

It's a big show.
Not just the regional gig it used to be.
hat off!

As long as UFC remains sitting in his monopoly throne, fights like Sonnen and JBJ will happen and will always increase the margin of made up fights, the truth is and you must wake up retards, they dont give a fuck about the fans and what they want to see, UFC and its regents care about the money and thats it. For you that really don t have the information, and this is pure economics, less competition better for companies, more competition better for the public(fans). Learn economics for dummies, morons

They fill up their cards with any fighter they can find just to put on an event every 2 weeks. That is not the major leagues. It's the complete opposite.

I don't think of it as a bad thing. Look at leagues like the NBA, NHL, and MLB. These sports are played in various countries all over the world, with most having their own professional leagues. But those leagues I listed are considered the top echelon of the sport. When they come calling, you generally don't say no. The same can be said for the UFC. It's the top rung of the ladder in terms of MMA promotions. It's where you want to be. So I have no problem with smaller local and regional promotions being "feeder" leagues if you will, because it happens in other sports too.

As long as UFC remains sitting in his monopoly throne, fights like Sonnen and JBJ will happen and will always increase the margin of made up fights, the truth is and you must wake up retards, they dont give a fuck about the fans and what they want to see, UFC and its regents care about the money and thats it. For you that really don t have the information, and this is pure economics, less competition better for companies, more competition better for the public(fans). Learn economics for dummies, morons

If all they care about is money, that means they're putting on fights that fans want to see to make said money. "Fans" doesn't just mean "people on sherdog". Casual fans like Sonnen and want to see him fight. That's how they make money.

Learn economics for dummies.

They fill up their cards with any fighter they can find just to put on an event every 2 weeks. That is not the major leagues. It's the complete opposite.

Ummmm The UFC has 360 total fighters under contract. They don't just find people off the street and go "Hey, you wanna fight in the UFC?". If you're under contract in the UFC, that means they've generally looked at your career and thought you'd be a great match up for someone they currently have, or think you could be the next big come up.

hahhaa they are anything but a major league

wwe wrestlers get hw title shots after 3 matches

guys coming off losses get title shots like chael sonnen

they are NOTHING like the NFL/MLB/NBA

if you want a more reasonable comparison: the UFC is the WWE of MMA

Can you not understand what a metaphor is?

How is it good for fans , what all the best fighters are in several different org. And we don't get to see them fight each other , face it the ufc has taken what works in boxing and left what dosent ,simple having the best fighters all under one banner benifts everyone, fans, fighters, and ufc

Back