UFC switching models?

JAVila916

White Belt
Reaction score
Does anybody feel that the UFC is quickly switching to a TV-based model and not supporting their PPVs enough?

Their buys are down, but their TV viewership is pretty good. I'm guessing the FOX deal is a pretty good moneymaker and stable, while it's hard to get people to pay for fights unless it's a really good one.

My guess is that the UFC is trying to become a more stable sports organization, rather than a PPV based one like Boxing. I agree with the move, but I am still a fan of big fights that you have to pay to see.

But then again, getting free fights every week keeps me watching. But can the public stand watching fights every week?

Is it an overload of content?

when i read the title i thought the ufc switched arianny celeste for alexis texas

the ufc's goal is to be the biggest sports organization in the world.

the ideal goal is to be where the nfl is right now, meaning no ppv.

obviously the increased number of shows on television is a step in this direction.

Does anybody feel that the UFC is quickly switching to a TV-based model and not supporting their PPVs enough?

Their buys are down, but their TV viewership is pretty good. I'm guessing the FOX deal is a pretty good moneymaker and stable, while it's hard to get people to pay for fights unless it's a really good one.

My guess is that the UFC is trying to become a more stable sports organization, rather than a PPV based one like Boxing. I agree with the move, but I am still a fan of big fights that you have to pay to see.

But then again, getting free fights every week keeps me watching. But can the public stand watching fights every week?

Is it an overload of content?

Why?

They tried to with the FOX deal. There's no way in hell FOX will finish out the contract with the UFC, unless every event is on FS1 or FS2. Just a couple weeks ago, they choose to show a baseball game that was 7-0 in the 9th inning instead of showing the UFN 40 fights in HD and moved the fights to FS2 which is in standard definition and sucks penis. That pretty much shows you where the UFC currently stands with FOX, which is way down the list due to shit ratings. FS1 is negotiating to get Saturday night basketball games, so next season there will be no fights on FS1 which relegates it to FS2, if they even choose to show it at all.

They tried to with the FOX deal. There's no way in hell FOX will finish out the contract with the UFC, unless every event is on FS1 or FS2. Just a couple weeks ago, they choose to show a baseball game that was 7-0 in the 9th inning instead of showing the UFN 40 fights in HD and moved the fights to FS2 which is in standard definition and sucks penis. That pretty much shows you where the UFC currently stands with FOX, which is way down the list due to shit ratings. FS1 is negotiating to get Saturday night basketball games, so next season there will be no fights on FS1 which relegates it to FS2, if they even choose to show it at all.

That never happened, and both channels are indeed in HD, depending on your service provider.

I can't see the ppv model lasting much longer.\

well, AS MANY ppv's it should be said, and I think this year is the start of only title fights on ppv's cause of how thin cards have gotten.

This is good for divisions like FLW who were on the cusp of headlining a TUF finale card. Also brings a sense of value to the lower classes with the exposure of the grandeur of a main event slot on a ppv.

I still think RR vs AD will be moved from ufc 175 to it's own card soon. The only real ppv/show that should have two title fights on it should be the last show/ppv of the year imo

That never happened, and both channels are indeed in HD, depending on your service provider.

Which part do you mean never happened?

Because they definitely show the Cleveland Indians vs Tampa Bay Rays game on FS1 instead of the Brown vs Silva prelims a few weeks ago. It even spilled over into the main card time some and stayed on FS1 until the game ended. Lucky it only lasted 10 or 15 more minutes and switched to the Fight Night at the very start of the first main card fight.

They need a deal with a strong broadcaster who can give them specific days entirely to them, on a channel that is very mainstream. FUEL was basically UFC: The Channel except for certain days when it had Motocross and stuff. Any day you felt like watching some MMA, you could switch over to FUEL and find an old card, or some Pride programming from ZUFFA. You could watch all the behind the scenes for fighters getting ready for their cards and stuff.

They need that with a bigger broadcaster. I think they thought that's what they were getting with FS1, but FOX has just been pushing them around because it's not bringing in massive viewers to a channel some people get, some people don't, and they split it over to FS2 which most people don't get.

I don't care who the broad is, just so she looks good walking around with the round card. Also, no, i think the ufc will still keep top fight on ppv.

Which part do you mean never happened?

Because they definitely show the Cleveland Indians vs Tampa Bay Rays game on FS1 instead of the Brown vs Silva prelims a few weeks ago. It even spilled over into the main card time some and stayed on FS1 until the game ended. Lucky it only lasted 10 or 15 more minutes and switched to the Fight Night at the very start of the first main card fight.

Aren't the prelims to FS1 shows (i.e., Brown vs. Silva) on FS2 to begin with?

Edit:

Yeah, as I thought, the prelims were scheduled to air on Fight Pass and FS2 in the first place:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_Fight_Night:_Brown_vs._Silva

I do recall the game running a little long into the FS1 air time, but that's not out of the ordinary and generally networks stay with the game in progress through the end and then then join the next game/event in progress. It happens with college football on ESPN pretty much every week.

Last edited:
I think that was the plan but PPV is still too rich for them. Look at how Vince McMahon and company saw their numbers take a hit without the big PPV push. PPV is more often than not guaranteed money.

It's been about two years since Dana said all the cards are STACKED. We are lucky to get two stacked cards a year.

They have to try. They will always be a second rate promotion as long as they are on PPV.

The problem that UFC brass don't understand is the value of how the undercard in the old 6-8 PPV per year model built up stars.

People would pay to watch a Chuck, Tito, or Randy and on the undercard were the future up and coming stars of UFC.

Now? It's like, "well here's a title fight and its main event on its own card, so watch it." Weidman's last fight before Silva I and II was beating Munoz on a digital channel barely anyone in the US had on Fuel.Barao is in a similar position, Cruz got hurt and Faber was chucked in there for an interim title fight and it's like 'oh he now has a ridiculous win streak, watch him!"

They do nothing to build, throw them on their own cards about 30 a year and then wonder why buyrates are a fraction of what they used to be.

Back