UFC submissions usage

Would love to see it..

ElasticPoshArcticseal-size_restricted.gif
I've heard that the bottom guy got submitted by this because he had already messed up his back earlier in the fight.
While it's a legit technique, most guys would escape before it could be locked in.

This doesn't answer your qeustion, but here are submissions by type in 2018.

SubmissionType.jpg

My answer would be leg submissions. They're pretty rare in the UFC. Though this shows there were 5 in 2018, so not that rare.
RNC is most dominant submision, no doubt it has so many finishes.

Earnest question about last main events fight. In the 3rd when Vettori seemingly had that arm triangle locked, what prevented the submission? Was it a positional issue? Lack of strength? Good def?
The commentary team seemed to think it was going to be a wrap

Maybe Kevin Holland is just a badass? When I first started watching the UFC the arm triangle meant the fight was over. But now I've seen Holland survive two locked in arm triangles in consecutive fights.

Are you sure you watch MMA?
I could be wrong & I don't watch as often as I used to but I rarely see people attempt an armbar from mount. From the guard they do sometimes but it seems like most would.prefer to go for the triangle. I'll watch out for it more next time .

The problem is that when you commit to a submission, there is a good chance that you lose dominant position.

Nowadays, being on top almost always means you are winning, so the submissions that fighters will go for are ones where they can still maintain a dominant position if it doesn’t finish the fight.

I could be wrong & I don't watch as often as I used to but I rarely see people attempt an armbar from mount. From the guard they do sometimes but it seems like most would.prefer to go for the triangle. I'll watch out for it more next time .
Mackenzie Dern finished Nina Nunes with an armbar from mount on Saturday. Armbars seem to be more common in WMMA

Reactions: Yep
Most guys don't attack armbars from dominant positions because if you fail you generally lose position. But you still see it a lot.
HandsomeCleverLaughingthrush-size_restricted.gif

Outside RNC, fighters will rather just hit than attempting submissions. Its very hard to perform submission on top level fighter.

Last edited:
Mackenzie Dern finished Nina Nunes with an armbar from mount on Saturday. Armbars seem to be more common in WMMA
If that’s the case that would be weird. I wonder if there’s more subs attempted in wmma.

If that’s the case that would be weird. I wonder if there’s more subs attempted in wmma.
If I had to guess why there seem to be more armbars in WMMA, I'd guess:
1) greater flexibility and lower upper-body strength in women
2) greater number of grappling mismatches in WMMA? There are some women (mostly Brazilians) who enter the sport with extensive BJJ experience, while most other women probably didn't even wrestle before doing MMA. Amateur wrestling is very male-dominated.

I think armbars in men's UFC matches have also decreased over time so maybe WMMA is just beyond on the curve

I get excited seeing a twister. I’m not ashamed. I am also waiting for a good baseball bat choke pulled off. I admit I didn’t read all of the op because it started of weird. Who questions the ufc being the dominant org? So I don’t really know what this thread is about but I still love to see a twister and waiting for that baseball bat choke.
I don’t think we will see a baseball bat choke. The gloves make it really hard to pull off

Reactions: Yep
If I had to guess why there seem to be more armbars in WMMA, I'd guess:
1) greater flexibility and lower upper-body strength in women
2) greater number of grappling mismatches in WMMA? There are some women (mostly Brazilians) who enter the sport with extensive BJJ experience, while most other women probably didn't even wrestle before doing MMA. Amateur wrestling is very male-dominated.

I think armbars in men's UFC matches have also decreased over time so maybe WMMA is just beyond on the curve
1. Is why I find it shocking. Women’s arms can be so bendy. When my daughter competed it was much easier getting arm bars on boys for her.

What about osp and his von flue chokes. They really need to make this choke after st proo.

Lets talk just about UFC, since we know UFC is dominant organisation and who says no is crazy.
What submissions are not used in UFC since they will work just on lowers levels?
In my opinion great example is Kimura. You don´t see any finishes on Kimura recently, because its easy to deffend it, I just see some sweeps by Kimura ( guy who doesn´t want to be finishes by Kimura ends up giving the position etc. Another good example is rib crusher..

Then there are submissions which will work more likely on highest level and are more reliable, harder to deffend..: RNC, arm triangle, north south, triangle, guilotine, kneebar, hell hook, anaconda..

How would you categorize the submissions? Write it below
Hell hook sounds like a mortal kombat finishing move.

Not sure what you're looking for in this post, but I'll just add some random observations:

-Armbars at the highest level seem a lot less frequent than the did in previous "eras"

-Arm triangles are clearly a go-to sub for a lot of guys, but in the UFC you see a surprising number of guys get out of arm triangles that look like a death sentence.

-Heel hooks aren't common, but quite high-level guys get caught in them on occasion.

-Due to size and lack of skill, you see some very "low level" submissions in HW compared to other weight classes: like neck cranks, forearm chokes, and ezequiels (spelling!?!)
If that was a dig at Olienek in the end, I really dont think its just raw power, especially when he does it from bottom.
The man has a black belt in bjj, a 4th dan in jjj, and an ims in sambo.

unrelated thou, seeng gordon ryan use him in competition like a dummy was crazy.

Back