1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

UFC submissions usage

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by KillaZs, Apr 12, 2021.

1. KillaZs Karlos "The MASTURBATOR" Vemola

Lets talk just about UFC, since we know UFC is dominant organisation and who says no is crazy.
    What submissions are not used in UFC since they will work just on lowers levels?
    In my opinion great example is Kimura. You don´t see any finishes on Kimura recently, because its easy to deffend it, I just see some sweeps by Kimura ( guy who doesn´t want to be finishes by Kimura ends up giving the position etc. Another good example is rib crusher..

Then there are submissions which will work more likely on highest level and are more reliable, harder to deffend..: RNC, arm triangle, north south, triangle, guilotine, kneebar, hell hook, anaconda..

How would you categorize the submissions? Write it below

2. Qays Stetkevich Purple Belt

Not sure what you're looking for in this post, but I'll just add some random observations:

-Armbars at the highest level seem a lot less frequent than the did in previous "eras"

-Arm triangles are clearly a go-to sub for a lot of guys, but in the UFC you see a surprising number of guys get out of arm triangles that look like a death sentence.

-Heel hooks aren't common, but quite high-level guys get caught in them on occasion.

-Due to size and lack of skill, you see some very "low level" submissions in HW compared to other weight classes: like neck cranks, forearm chokes, and ezequiels (spelling!?!)

3. Hellowhosthat Gold Belt

The other issue with subs like a kimura is guys are willing to take some damage in them and not tap when there are big win bonuses on the line. It's different to submission grappling where you'll tap if you've got another tournament next week and can't afford to get injured.

That's why chokes tend to work best in MMA, injuries don't always finish the fight but being choked unconscious finishes the fight 100% of the time.

4. FIGHTING TALK Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Every submission works on a scale, from locked in and done, to loose and easy to escape from, to downright dangerous for the person going for the sub.

Take the Kimura for example, it can work beautifully on high level grapplers, eg Mir vs Nog, or can just be pulled out of, or worse still what happened to Rose vs Andrade. So you see there is a scale.

If any submission did not work then it wouldn’t exist, look at Oleinik for example, submitting people that are mounted on him, crazy but effective.

Qays Stetkevich likes this.
  5. TheMessiah Brown Belt

Omoplata is very rare probably because triangle is easier to setup and the times I've seen someone try its used for a sweep

6. Yep Purple Belt

I get excited seeing a twister. I’m not ashamed. I am also waiting for a good baseball bat choke pulled off. I admit I didn’t read all of the op because it started of weird. Who questions the ufc being the dominant org? So I don’t really know what this thread is about but I still love to see a twister and waiting for that baseball bat choke.

accolyte1022 likes this.
  7. Yep Purple Belt

Yeah, omaplata is really to sweep. But it is another nice technique to see. I love me some high level grappling.

TheMessiah likes this.
  8. Raymundo Alvarado Guevara Green Belt

The boston crab is still not use in the UFC, I really don't believe someone use it

Apollo33 and Reach4theSky like this.
  9. Reach4theSky Playin' a riddim

Would love to see it..

[​IMG]

Kdup, J0N0, CTEGod and 4 others like this.
  10. rande028 Orange Belt

Juan Espino used a scarf hold recently and Alexander Romanov used a forearm choke. They fight this weekend.

thehighking and omawho402 like this.
  11. EndlessCritic Steel Belt

The amount of stupidity I am reading in this thread hurts my brain.

There are tons of kimuras in the UFC, and in MMA at a high level.

The omoplata position is extremely difficult to finish as a submission, but it is not a difficult position to enter, and is very commonly used to sweep.

CTEGod likes this.
  12. bleeder Blue Belt

I hate threads like these because they're rhetorical questions really. You're not dumb enough to think that Kimura's aren't a viable submission or something, or that jiu-jitsu skills overall in MMA "evolved" a great deal from a while back, but you think that just because you haven't seen any UFC matches lately with armlock finishes that it means something. I'm going to hit Francis with a cyclone nuke hurricane Omo from hell. Then casuls like you can keep you talking about how devastating they are and we need to ban them or some shit.

13. Patrick Jane 美猴王

Something i always found interesting is that the Boston Crab (Shachi Jime) is classified as a chokehold in jūjutsu.

Kesa Gatame finishes are something you see at all levels but usually only with heavyweights.

14. The Rivv Robert Whittaker’s Simp. Banned

The UFC is the premier organisation for decisions. But that’s what you get when you have some of the best talent in the sport. I legitimately recommend watching Cage Fury, LFA, Titan FC, or Cage Warriors if you wanna see subs, as the lower level competition usually has one good dude fuck up a bunch of less good dudes by strikes or subs.

15. Prologue wiggle wiggle wiggle

You don't see interlocking fish smashes much anymore.

16. Lawrence Black Belt

"I reluctantly agree"

~~Robby Lawler

17. Qays Stetkevich Purple Belt

The omaplata sweep is pretty common, or at least its set-up.

18. Vil7 Silver Belt

I feel like people don't attempt armbars that often anymore.

19. Kvothe_the_kingkiller Brown Belt

This doesn't answer your qeustion, but here are submissions by type in 2018.

[​IMG]

My answer would be leg submissions. They're pretty rare in the UFC. Though this shows there were 5 in 2018, so not that rare.

20. Joseph Alfano White Belt

Earnest question about last main events fight. In the 3rd when Vettori seemingly had that arm triangle locked, what prevented the submission? Was it a positional issue? Lack of strength? Good def?
    The commentary team seemed to think it was going to be a wrap