UFC Strawweight fighters ranked by # of Social Media followers.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by SeverianB, Feb 16, 2016.

1. SeverianB

SeverianB Hiding in bushes in the 505. Platinum Member

Top 16 UFC Strawweight fighters ranked by # of Social Media followers (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram combined)

1 Paige VanZant 1,086,000
    2 Felice Herrig 880,800
    3 Joanna Jedrzejczyk 636,000
    4 Claudia Gadelha 389,100
    5 Carla Esparza 261,400
    6 Rose Namajunas 248,368
    7 Michelle Waterson 195,600
    8 Tecia Torres 144,492
    9 Joanne Calderwood 123,370
    10 Valerie Letourneau 113,358
    11 Karolina Kowalkiewicz 106,055
    12 Jessica Penne 95,435
    13 Randa Markos 76,284
    14 Juliana Lima 49,795
    15 Jessica Aguilar 36,324
    16 Maryna Moroz 5,809

My initial take on this is that social media ranks Paige and Felice in a way that doesn't jive with their skill level ranking, but it the rest of the fighters line up pretty well overall social media rank vs. skill ranking.

Thoughts on individual fighters:

PVZ got where she is purely due to the UFC Marketing Machine. She is evidence that if the UFC wants you to be a star, they can make you into a star.

Felice Herrig gets a LOT of respect from me, social-media wise. She's been hustling for as long as social media has been around and she's got the numbers to show it, with very little help from Zuffa or her fight record. (one interesting note, her Facebook #'s DESTROY everyone else at well over half a million... she also has the pic of her sitting buck naked in a chair as her profile pic. You do the math.)

JJ, (like Holly Holm) is this high based mostly on skill and the fact she holds a belt. A newbie when it comes to social media, as she gets pushed by sponsors like Samsung and Reebok, her numbers will increase even more.

Gadelha and Esparza honestly surprised me being so high on this list, I really didn't think they would be above Thug Rose, as I didn't remember them being pushed by the UFC like Rose was. I also though Gadelha's language barrier and Esparza's lack of charisma would hurt them more. Perhaps fighting for the belt is a bigger boost than I thought. I suspect Rose will vault over them both if she fights for the belt again.

If Michelle Waterson had put in the effort Felice Herrig has and played up the sexy angle.... she would be on the top of this list. However, she (and surprisingly, the UFC) have decided mostly play up the "hardworking mom" angle. It's a gamble, not a sure thing like the sexy image. If she does well in the UFC and her full-length "Fight Mom" documentary takes off, the "Empowered Mom" market is the BIGGEST demographic you can tap. As an example: when Jessica Alba was one of the world's top sex symbols, she earned millions of dollars. Now that she is popular as a Mom and has a company selling stuff on that "Mom" image, (mostly online via social media) Alba is very close to becoming a Billionaire.

Anyway, seeing as how image seems to be ultra important in the women's divisions, I thought this would be interesting to a few people. Probably very few. Heh.

CannotWin and johncola like this.
  2. TrainInVain

TrainInVain Swangin an Bangin Belt

Being on TUF certainly helped some of the fighters. I imagine Joanna and Claudia will get a huge increase in numbers when their episodes air.

Gadelha speaks very good English, don't think there is a language barrier.

SeverianB likes this.
  3. kimocomplex

kimocomplex Red Belt

not surprised by Esparza, won TUF, first ever Straw Champ

and even before, Invicta Champ, ranked #1, plus her wrestling background

SeverianB likes this.
  4. SeverianB

Claudia's #'s are the most surprising to me. I suspect she has a large South American following, and the fact is she's pretty AND a great fighter.

5. qw3rty

qw3rty R.I.P @FrankieNYC

I was expecting more followers forr TKH (former Invicta Champ) and KK (maybe Polands dont use Twitter that much)

SeverianB likes this.
  6. TrainInVain

TrainInVain Swangin an Bangin Belt

I would have thought Randa was higher on the list also. Like in the Tecia Torres range.

@Homeless Infant better get off his azz and promote moar!

Drake, Sgt Smith and SeverianB like this.
  7. Head Clean Off

Head Clean Off Blue Belt Double Yellow Card

i bet most of the followers are beta virgins

8. KB Warrior

KB Warrior Brown Belt

If Paige was ugly she wouldn't be ranked that high regardless of how much marketing was done for her.

Sgt Smith and SeverianB like this.
  9. Psychedelic

Psychedelic Red Belt

More like cuck whiteknights, I would say.

hydro481 and Head Clean Off like this.
  10. SeverianB

Now that I think about it, considering her impressive accomplishments, I should be surprised Carla isn't HIGHER on this list. Her low marketability and resulting lack of push from the UFC has really killed her social media rank.

As for being Invicta Champ..... that reminds me back in the day when Michelle Waterson was a champ at Invicta and some guy said she should leave and go to the UFC. I argued with him and said her being top dog in Invicta meant it was where she should stay.

Boy was I wrong. After YEARS of being on social media, Michelle only had about 50,000 followers. 6 months after her first UFC fight and she is closing in on 200,000.

I am now of the opinion that Invicta is pretty much meaningless, except to us few WMMA hardcores and as a development league for the UFC.

11. SeverianB

TKH and KK labored in organizations that don't get you a lot of followers on social media. The reason they had any social media #'s before joining the UFC is they are both beautiful and they both had exposure in other media: TV, music videos, modeling ect.

I remember looking up KK years ago and she had a LOT of Facebook followers even then. So you are probably right.

12. SeverianB

Well.... yeah. That's kinda the baseline. If you are a really good fighter and become champion, looks can be secondary, though. In my opinion, Ronda, Holly and JJ are not traditionally beautiful women, but they are good looking enough that a combination of the aura of being a champion, charisma and Photoshop makes them beautiful.

13. Marianne

Marianne Green Belt

Makes me want to see JAG vs Paige and Markos vs Herrig

SeverianB likes this.
  14. SeverianB

Actually, that doesn't sound bad. I would think JAG and Markos would win easily, but the fact is NONE of these fighters looked good in their last fights and probably shouldn't be allowed to fight winners.

Funny to think that according to social media rank, Herrig vs. PVZ was the biggest women's strawweight fight every in the history of MMA. :D

15. Marianne

Marianne Green Belt

JAG put up a decent fight against a woman that arguably defeated Joanna

16. Lanx

Lanx 房仕龍 Double Yellow Card

Gat damn, wtf
    PVZ has 640k followers on instagram and
    2k on twitter, yea, TWO THOUSAND

what does that mean? beta boys want to see her post hot pictures, couldn't give a rats ass whats on her mind.

TobikanJudan94 and KtR like this.
  17. AP_RESURRECTION

AP_RESURRECTION Gold Belt

i bet people like carla esparza have a majority of their fans either unfollowing or literally paying no attention to her posts at that point - those must be left over from her TUF hype days

not hating but we move on fast as a society

18. SeverianB

You must be looking at the wrong account, she has 122,000 Twitter followers.

A hot woman on social media with even a *tiny* bit of exposure can get a TON of followers. It's amazing how many more followers Instagram gets than Twitter because it's all pictures and videos. It's too bad Michelle can't or won't play up the sexy as much anymore. Whenever she posts a even slightly sexy picture, she gets 2 or 3 times as many likes.

19. Lanx

Lanx 房仕龍 Double Yellow Card

ah good catch, i cut off the ufc part from her instagram, why isn't her twitterlink clickable?

20. hydro481

hydro481 Brown Belt

Ssshh...they can hear you man...