UFC Star Power and the Casual Fan

Lukn4trbl

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Last night I was in the company of family to celebrate a birthday. There were 6 guys that are sports fanatics,
and watch about 3-4 UFC PPV per year. They know the big names, and that's about it. Here was some of
the discussion from last night:

- Who's fighting tonight?
- Jon Jones? Is he the current champ? Is this a title fight?
- Is Conor going to fight again this year?
- Who did Conor beat last month?
- Do you think Ronda will ever return?
- Is GSP retired? Will he fight this year?
- What about that guy that broke his leg against the white guy?

After nearly losing my lunch from all the casual talk, I asked:

Can anyone name three, current champs? No.
Can you name three fighters in the UFC roster besides Conor? No.

How about past fighters? GSP, Ronda, Conor, "that big Brazilian girl (Cyborg)", Chuck, Brock, The guy that GSP beat last (Bisping), "The girl that beat Ronda", The guy that was busted for drugs (Jones, but didn't know he was fighting last night!)"

Also, I showed them the Masvidal and Askren fight, all but one had no idea. Israel was not
known, but Romero's back flip was noted.

It's a sad state for the UFC, marketing machine. They are not doing well promoting their current
champs, or big contenders.

Most people aren't into violence..

Does that shock anyone? No.

Yeah you need to relax. Dont let this affect your life. I couldn't name 3 nfl quarterbacks and have no clue about any of that and my friends dknt give a shit

Takes a special breed of person to enjoy what we do so deeply.

Not a good breed either

Yeah you need to relax. Dont let this affect your life. I couldn't name 3 nfl quarterbacks and have no clue about any of that and my friends dknt give a shit

I know Tom Brady. Do either of the Manning guys still play?

That's about the level of my NFL knowledge.

That black guy caught for steroids
F8A42ABE-7E70-4A22-ADD6-A68271A88909.gif
tenor.gif

Newsflash: People who don’t watch MMA don’t know anything about MMA. In other news water is wet

I know Tom Brady. Do either of the Manning guys still play?

That's about the level of my NFL knowledge.

never watched NFL but even i know Adam, chandler, bo Jackson, Tom brady and the fat athletic guy … but i Always Forget his Name.

WME is focused on attracting the young liberal hipster audience who watch MMA ironically

never watched NFL but even i know Adam, chandler, bo Jackson, Tom brady and the fat athletic guy … but i Always Forget his Name.

I know Tom Brady because of Bündchen and that TED Movie. Aron Hernandez is another Guy i recognize. I read something about Kopernick in the German News last Week and that the NFL try to shut him down but really don't know anything about this case. Thats it.

I'm convinced this isn't lost on the UFC and it's probably by design. Megastars like McG, Ronda, Brock and GSP generate real money for the UFC while everyone else is interchangeable in the eyes of casuals. And the UFC likes it that way - makes it easier to negotiate pay.

The Reebok uniform deal took away an aspect of fighters' personal brand. To casuals, Tony Ferguson is just some random guy who's not Conor McGregor who fights in the same uniform as that other guy who McG just beat (the fellow who's an interesting guy who likes portable protein snacks).

The UFC is pushing its brand first and foremost. If you're not a megastar, they'd prefer that you remain anonymous and hungry, while still motivated to go for broke for the chance to clear 50 G's baby.

Casuals are obviously going to gravitate to the worldwide stars that crossover beyond MMA. If they don't follow the sport beyond liking the odd video on social media then what do you expect?

Back