ufc shoud have a mandatory 2 or 3 fight rule

2 fight rule sounds fair to me.
Dislike title shots off 1 win or in some cases no win.
Only exception should be instant rematches for super close fights.

yeah the UFC should have the challengers fight in tournaments to earn the right to fight the champ like they do in Bellator rather than have rematches of close/exciting title fights. Oh wait . . .

Anyone else sick of the UFC always pulling this shit?

How about the fighters fight at least 2 to 3 different opponents than doing this shit.

I'd be okay with 2 fight minimum between rematches, with the exclusion of after a draw in a title fight. Part of the excitement, at least for me, is seeing new match ups. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd rather see a new fight than a rematch, even if the last one was good.

It really blows my minds why Jones' fans don't want to see this fight so badly. Why are you defending the guy not wanting to fight. This would be an incredible fight to see. Why do you feel the need to make excuses for your joke of a champion, it's not like he doesn't do a good job of that himself. After the fight Twitter and Facebook exploded with people claiming Gus was robbed because of how close that fight was. Jones should stop ducking and accept the rematch like he said he would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QTykKVrC08

^Can't embed but skip to 3:50.

where the challenger, after unsuccessful title fight, would have to fight 2 or 3 times before getting another ts.

this whole gus/jbj situation is getting ridiculous.

heres the guy who comes to a title fight n literally runs the entire fight, did some good things, but clearly losses 3 rounds to 2 (some would say 4-1).

instead of thanking jones for the opportunity, he acts as if he won n demands an instant rematch as if jones n ufc owned him another ts.

if ufc give in to this, it will open the door to more challengers coming to title fight not to beat the champ, but just look k n demand another ts.

dana should do the right thing, tell gus to helax n work his way to another ts.

I'm not a Gus hater but I agree, how do you lose, and it was an obvious loss, fight 1 fight against a no named opponent, and you are the #1 contender? That makes no sense and it's because the UFC controls the rankings, so they want THEIR BOY to get the title shot again.

He should be in the hunt for a title shot, but not #1, he lost, he's 1-1 in his last 2 fights, he needs to string together 2 or 3 wins against CREDIBLE fighters to get back to the title. It's different when the decision is razor thin, or a bad stoppage, or something else, but that didn't happen here, he lost fair and square, no one thinks he won.

IMO I don't think the pool is deep enough to do that.

It really blows my minds why Jones' fans don't want to see this fight so badly. Why are you defending the guy not wanting to fight. This would be an incredible fight to see. Why do you feel the need to make excuses for your joke of a champion, it's not like he doesn't do a good job of that himself. After the fight Twitter and Facebook exploded with people claiming Gus was robbed because of how close that fight was. Jones should stop ducking and accept the rematch like he said he would.

I'm a Jones fan, and frankly, I'm defending him because children like you don't know the first thing about prize fighting and are putting him down for doing what's in his best interests.

The most money he can make right now, is against DC, and personally, that's the fight I want to see, Jones already beat Gus, I would rather see him fight an undefeated guy who just rag dolled a hall of famer in Dan Henderson.

Also just on principle, I don't like the idea of a guy obviously losing and fighting a can, and being the #1 contender, over a guy who just beat Dan Henderson and is 16-0.

2 fight rule sounds fair to me.
Dislike title shots off 1 win or in some cases no win.
Only exception should be instant rematches for super close fights.

The only way I could agree to a rematch after 1 fight, is if the 1 fight is against a top 3 contender, or top 5. But it has to be a named opponent, not a can no one has heard of.

No, it depends how many qualified challengers there are.

you are not understanding the point fighting mentality of some champions, you cannot expect it to be a fight if one guy is doing everything to avoid the fight.. like I said, your idea will force champions to train on how to avoid the fight and make it the most boring title fight known to man. It would possibly kill PPV buys because nobody wants to see that shit.

I know a little something or two about fighters that abuse the Unified Rules and play the points game during fights, look at my name/sig/av/posts.

Is that the operative word here?

gus did the opposite. came in n tried to look competitive vs jones, he was point fighting. his td did serve no other purpose than get some points n get out, didnt try gnp after. his striking is the same. hes happy just to land one strike n get out.

ok, maybe gus did land a takedown, stuffed a few and landed more strikes and did more damage and walked away without being on a stretcher, but that's no reason to get carried away and call his fight with jones "competitive".

Whether Gus fights Jones next or someone else, we both know he's got the heart of a warrior and will come back stronger after he loses again. We can take comfort in that

I'm a Jones fan, and frankly, I'm defending him because children like you don't know the first thing about prize fighting and are putting him down for doing what's in his best interests.

The most money he can make right now, is against DC, and personally, that's the fight I want to see, Jones already beat Gus, I would rather see him fight an undefeated guy who just rag dolled a hall of famer in Dan Henderson.

Also just on principle, I don't like the idea of a guy obviously losing and fighting a can, and being the #1 contender, over a guy who just beat Dan Henderson and is 16-0.

Obviously this is a late response and obviously Jones finally agreed to fight Gus but just a few things.
1. Jones would make way more money taking the Alexander fight. That was the whole point of the hold up. He took more money to fight Gus.
2. Speaking of fighting cans. If you think at this point that Hendo is anything but a can you're completely deluded.

I agree with the main point about wishing they would wait 2-3 fights between rematches. All the immediate (or close to immediate) rematching gets stale. But other than the main point, I disagree with pretty much everything else you say to try and back it up.

champions wouldn't give a shit about putting on exciting fights anymore, which would be a massive failure for the fans.. all they would have to do is ride out boring decisions knowing once they win this decision, they won't have to face this guy again until 2-3 fights later.

horrible idea.

we don't often agree, but this time we do.
it is impossible to create a "rule" like this, especially in divisions that are as thin as HW.
who the hell is the champion supposed to face when his last few challengers are shelved for 2-3 fights?
there aren't nearly enough viable challengers in most divisions to keep the champ busy with reasonable fights.

That's one of the problems with boxing. Guys picking and choosing who they want to fight.

No. SOme fights really need an insant/early rematch yes sometimes rematches happen too early but Machida vs SHogun for example had to happen right away

the champ already has the title n is DEFENDING IT. its up to the challenger to go n take it.

thats what jones did when he won the title, he took it from rua.

gus did the opposite. came in n tried to look competitive vs jones, he was point fighting. his td did serve no other purpose than get some points n get out, didnt try gnp after. his striking is the same. hes happy just to land one strike n get out.

Are you talking about Edgar vs Penn?

Back