UFC round scoring question

KeithMcKenzieJunior

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys. Im Keith and I'm pretty new to watching MMA. I have been a big pro wrestling for 20 years and started casually watching UFC when CM Punk made his impressive debut.

I have a couple questions and was wondering if someone could help me understand a bit more about how the rounds are scored.

I get that the judges score round 10-9 to the more dominant fighter but want counts for more in terms of dominating a round. Do the judges sit at ringside and tally scores, for example 5 points for a punch, 5 points for a kick and 10 points for a takedown? What is the main point scoring move in a round?

Any help would be appreciated, as I say I'm pretty new to watching this and just looking to understand the whole scoring system a bit more.

In the UFC, you gain points based on certain effective offensive actions taken in a fight.

For example, a landed jab is 1 point, a landed cross is 2.5 points, a wheel-kick that dislocates the other person's jaw is worth 30 points, and a successful takedown is 125 points.

You can probably find the full list of point totals online somewhere.

In the UFC, you gain points based on certain effective offensive actions taken in a fight.

For example, a landed jab is 1 point, a landed cross is 2.5 points, a wheel-kick that dislocates the other person's jaw is worth 30 points, and a successful takedown is 125 points.

You can probably find the full list of point totals online somewhere.

Wow, 125 points for a takedown. Why doesn't everybody try to take the fight to the ground?

I once heard a rumour that one can gain 1500 points by executing a manoeuvre called: "fluffy fingers" on an opponent.

I adore your introduction by the way, Bravo.

He's trolling you there are no point values. You will soon find judges can't do math.. See Lawler Vs Condit for details

Ah damn, too new to this to realise! Probably seems like a silly question to ask someone whose been watching a long time haha.

Hi guys. Im Keith and I'm pretty new to watching MMA. I have been a big pro wrestling for 20 years and started casually watching UFC when CM Punk made his impressive debut.

I have a couple questions and was wondering if someone could help me understand a bit more about how the rounds are scored.

I get that the judges score round 10-9 to the more dominant fighter but want counts for more in terms of dominating a round. Do the judges sit at ringside and tally scores, for example 5 points for a punch, 5 points for a kick and 10 points for a takedown? What is the main point scoring move in a round?

Any help would be appreciated, as I say I'm pretty new to watching this and just looking to understand the whole scoring system a bit more.
There are guidelines but not a rigid scoring system. basically effective action, grappling and striking are most important. If its tied in effectiveness they should consider the intent which can be aggression or moving forward. the problem is what is effective is left a lot to subjectivity. Some rate takedowns very highly regardless of what comes after... So its a tricky system. For you starting up just score each round as a separate fight, the winner of the round gets the 10 loser a 9. If its a mauling where the losing guy barely made it out then its 10-8.
Imperfect system, but this is the core.

Back