UFC Releases Ryan Couture

CC27

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/09/following-back-to-back-losses-ufc-releases-ryan-couture

After migrating from the defunct Strikeforce to the UFC, lightweight Ryan Couture (6-3 MMA, 0-2 UFC) hoped to build a career in the promotion where his father was a champion and star.

But after two straight losses in the octagon, Couture's time in the UFC has, for now, come to an end. The fighter this past week received a letter releasing him from his contract, manager Sam Spira today told MMAjunkie.com.

Couture, the son of multi-time champ and UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture, amassed a 6-1 record in Strikeforce and met increasingly stiff challenges when the promotion was acquired by UFC parent Zuffa in 2011. In his final three performances, he notched wins over more experienced competitors such as Conor Heun, Joe Duarte and K.J. Noons.

Spira said the younger Couture will regroup and look to gain more experience on a smaller platform before deciding whether to make another push to win another contract with the UFC.

That guy wasnt anywhere near being ready for that kind of competition.

Do you think he signs with RFA or Legacy and wins fights and looks to make it back to the UFC or does he sign with Bellator right away? I think Bellator is def gonna sign him and throw him in a tournament.

Figured this was coming. Dana and Randy being on the outs, two straight losses and the KJ win that everyone thought he should've lost.

Now, Bellator or WSOF?

Wow I'm so surprised

I dont think you can pin this on Randy, he lost badly to Ross and then Al destroyed him. He just isnt a UFC level fighter. I mean sure he could fight on the prelims and fight the absolute bottom of the div and win some fights but the only reason he'd get that shot is if Dana wanted to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they werent gonna cut him due to his beef with Randy.

Frankly the only reason he got in the UFC was his last name, if he was Ryan Johns he wouldnt have been in the UFC and if he did make it he would have been cut after the first loss.

I dont think you can pin this on Randy, he lost badly to Ross and then Al destroyed him. He just isnt a UFC level fighter. I mean sure he could fight on the prelims and fight the absolute bottom of the div and win some fights but the only reason he'd get that shot is if Dana wanted to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they werent gonna cut him due to his beef with Randy.

Frankly the only reason he got in the UFC was his last name, if he was Ryan Johns he wouldnt have been in the UFC and if he did make it he would have been cut after the first loss.

I just feel like the dude was thrown in with the wolves, to be honest. Maybe on purpose due to the Randy/Dana beef but I don't know. He didn't seem that bad to be honest, I think he could've beaten some of the low level Brazilian LWs

Kinda had to see it coming. Controversial win over Noons followed by back to back losses.

I just feel like the dude was thrown in with the wolves, to be honest. Maybe on purpose due to the Randy/Dana beef but I don't know. He didn't seem that bad to be honest, I think he could've beaten some of the low level Brazilian LWs

Well he was coming off a win over Noons, even if he didnt really win that fight on his record he did.

So I dont think Ross is that huge of a step up. Its not like they went from Noons to Pettis or Bendo.

Then even after that loss they gave him Al. Al's a solid fighter but he isnt an elite fighter, he was a TUF fighter who didnt win the show and was coming off a 13 or 14 month layoff and took the fight on short notice. And Al absolutely destroyed him.

So a TUF fighter who hasnt fought in a year and took the fight on short notice destroys you thats not exactly being thrown to the wolves imo.

bet he's like "Thanks Dad, now get me a part in Expendables 3"

I'm a huge Ryan Couture fan and was hoping he'd do well. I always like watching him fight but he just didn't have what it takes to compete at this level.

I'm a huge Ryan Couture fan and was hoping he'd do well. I always like watching him fight but he just didn't have what it takes to compete at this level.

What about Bellator? I assume Bellator signs him cause of Randy, I think he can win some fights in Bellator if given the right matchups but I dont see him beating the top Bellator LW.

What about Bellator? I assume Bellator signs him cause of Randy, I think he can win some fights in Bellator if given the right matchups but I dont see him beating the top Bellator LW.

I don't think he'd win a belt or anything but I'd love to see him fight some lower tier guys to start out the broadcast. He'd be a great opening fight and good to bring in against top local talent to boost local ticket sales.

Back