Media UFC Pros Pick, Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Zhang Weili at UFC 248

Who wins?

• Total voters
she's being hailed as some destroyer based on one ass kicking

Correct. Against a girl who at that point hadn’t learned to respect power and just ran forward with hooks thrown from the waist.

I don’t dislike Weili. The hype is just a little bit ridiculous.

I think these predictions are bias and sounds more like 'who are you rooting for?' instead of who they think will win.
The worst one was probably Andrea Lee like she knows nothing about Zhang.. What does Joanna having a strong TDD have to do with this fight since Zhang barely ever relies on grappling? Most of the fighters seem to be picking Joanna to win though

I find it astonishing that so many are picking Zhang! Outside of a quick win over Andrade she hasn’t done anything that leads me to believe she can beat or even hang with Joanna. I’m picking JJ to win this one pretty convincingly.
Nah, it won't be easy for her. Zhang is very, very good.

I was being sarcastic when I said people are calling Zhang the SW goat. My point was that I think she's being hailed as some destroyer based on one ass kicking. She might be that good, but it just kind of annoys me when there's a ton of premature hype.

She has twenty wins in a row. All of which were dominant victories. And an 80% finishing rate in the SW division. How is that premature?

Im rooting for Joanna. China doesn’t deserve any joy for the coronavirus they started.

I was being sarcastic when I said people are calling Zhang the SW goat. My point was that I think she's being hailed as some destroyer based on one ass kicking. She might be that good, but it just kind of annoys me when there's a ton of premature hype.

Reminds me a lot of the Holly Holm hype after she demolished Ronda. Nearly everyone thought her striking was devastating and unstoppable and that she'd run through everyone else in the division. Didn't work out that way, did it? Holly turned out to be a pretty solid fighter but not nearly as good as folks thought.

Which is why I'm waiting till after the fight before drawing any conclusions on Zhang. So far she's shown pretty solid skills, but until she faces the elite of her division we won't know how she really stacks up. She's not a standout like GSP or pre-USADA Jones who were casually toying with their opponents and wrecking all of them with ease.

What does Joanna having a strong TDD have to do with this fight since Zhang barely ever relies on grappling?
Zhang has seven wins on her record by submission (I don't know how many by ground-and-pound), including one in the UFC (an armbar win, in the first round, over Jessica Aguilar).

Shevchenko couldn't finish Joanna or keep her on the mat. I just don't see Weili's hooks and elbows being a major factor in the first two rounds when she's strongest. Weili is powerful, but I expect that Joanna's length will present a real problem. She'll be inefficient with her energy as she punches and kicks air with many of her favorite techniques in the early going. By the time she finds her range and strike selection, she'll be behind on the score cards and fatigued. Joanna by UD.

I honestly don't know who wins, but idk how everyone's calling Zhang the sw goat all of a sudden. Okay, she beat up a girl whose only asset is power. Joanna did the same thing. What else has Zhang done? She has a boring decision win over Torres, and has two other UFC wins over girls who got cut from the organization. The point is that she has one remarkable performance in the promotion. Joanna's far more technical and elusive than anyone the girl has ever faced.
Suddenly? She was heavily hyped coming into the UFC.

Smart money is on Joanna by decision.

If you think Zhang is going to win you have a goldfishes memory, I expect this fight to look VERY similar to the Andrade fight Joanna will Cruise all over her for 5 rounds, Zhang may win one of the first 2 rounds

Last edited:
Idk but watching Zhang fight for the first time in the ufc a few years ago you could tell she was something special. Not only she's so powerful but look at how she throws her strikes, she doesn't score points she's brutal, like a savage, she hurts her opponent bad especially with her elbows. Something you don't usually see with women. JJ on the other hand has the best striking technique as well as the cardio but Zhang is bigger stronger as fast as her and i think she's more focused and committed to her life as an athlete.
Obviously we need to see more of her but i think she wins this fight by being also smarter than JJ

Last edited:
Nah, it won't be easy for her. Zhang is very, very good.
What are you basing this on? She didn’t look like a word beater against Torres or her other previous fights.

She has twenty wins in a row. All of which were dominant victories. And an 80% finishing rate in the SW division. How is that premature?
But who are the people she dominated?
Just to be clear, I’m not hating on her in any way. At this point I still see her as a prospect, albeit a prospect that happens to be the champ...

Boobiewoman coming for that strap!
#NewTits #OldMojo

What are you basing this on? She didn’t look like a word beater against Torres or her other previous fights.
Did you actually watch any of her other fights besides this one and Tecia? She's won 20 fights in a row for a reason.

In my personal opinion, Zhang is the most violent finisher I’ve ever seen in WMMA. Reminiscent of a prime Wand. For that I pick her TKO round 2.

Zhang is bigger
Joanna is taller, has a longer reach, and is a former flyweight who has an extreme cut to make strawweight. So I think it is a questionable claim that Weili is bigger.

Did you actually watch any of her other fights besides this one and Tecia? She's won 20 fights in a row for a reason.
I have and she looks great, however, until I see her against better competition I can’t really judge what she’s capable of. I’m looking forward to this fight against JJ for that reason, it could well be her ‘coming out party’. However, I still think she’s too untested to think she can beat Joanna.

Back