UFC PPV numbers for the year so far

The Ufc is not a retail store. They can't just replace elite fighters. The fly division is going absolutely nowhere. Whine about it if u must but continuing to act like the division is in jeopardy of being closed is foolishness

So true. They just have to stop trying to headline PPVs with these fights. They figured it out right off the bat with the Strawweights and I'll bet a year from now, they'll be more popular than the flyweights if they're not already.

No matter how much they try and push DJ as a PPV main eventer, he's just not. Maybe there's something in his contract saying he has to headline PPVs. That's the only reason I could see that they're still trying this.

So true. They just have to stop trying to headline PPVs with these fights. They figured it out right off the bat with the Strawweights and I'll bet a year from now, they'll be more popular than the flyweights if they're not already.

No matter how much they try and push DJ as a PPV main eventer, he's just not. Maybe there's something in his contract saying he has to headline PPVs. That's the only reason I could see that they're still trying this.
178 was supposed to be Jones/Cormier. 186 was supposed to be Dillashaw/Barao. 191 was supposed to be Cormier/Gus. DJ is only headlining because the other champs call in sick.

Ya, I guess you're right. Forgot about 178 and 186 and didn't know that about 191. I thought Cormier/Gus was always going to be in Texas.

Ya, I guess you're right. Forgot about 178 and 186 and didn't know that about 191. I thought Cormier/Gus was always going to be in Texas.
He wasn't even supposed to be on FOX. His fights against Moraga and Benavidez were initially scheduled for FS1. They were building him up fine until a slew of injuries forced him into a position he wasn't prepared for. It's a shame he takes the brunt of the criticism when he's just picking up the slack left by other champs.

DJ himself also said he don't want to headline PPV's.

This.

It's sad how no one gives a shit about DJ.

He gets 2.5-3 million viewers on FOX. I wouldn't say no one gives a shit about him....just no one gives enough of a shit to spend $60 on him.

Losing to Dodson at 191 might be a good career move for DJ. Maybe people will care about a rubber match. Maybe.

DJ title fights should be strictly Fox, maybe he'll get more fans that way too.

This.

It's sad how no one gives a shit about DJ.
It would help if his competition were at least somewhat known. This past year, he has fought opponents who had less airtime than Jessica Penne. No one has had to carry a fight on their own like DJ, not even Ronda. That is why you cannot fairly compare his numbers to anyone else. The worst title challenger in any other division is still more popular than Chris Cariaso.

It would help if his competition were at least somewhat known. This past year, he has fought opponents who had less airtime than Jessica Penne. No one has had to carry a fight on their own like DJ, not even Ronda. That is why you can't fairly compare his numbers to anyone else. The worst title challenger in any other division is still more popular than Chris Cariaso.

Yeah, the match-making at FLW is definitely screwed up and quite frankly there just isn't many challengers. I thought Horiguchi would have a good chance at being beating DJ if he was built up right but we all saw how that went. I don't see the buyrates being very good for his next title defense, although it's one of his more intriguing fights for sure.

Yeah, the match-making at FLW is definitely screwed up and quite frankly there just isn't many challengers. I thought Horiguchi would have a good chance at being beating DJ if he was built up right but we all saw how that went. I don't see the buyrates being very good for his next title defense, although it's one of his more intriguing fights for sure.
It would sell a lot better if they built him up on free tv a bit more. Unfortunately, this past year has done nothing but hurt his Q score. I don't really know how to fix that. The UFC really fucked one of their most dominant champions who is likely going to hold that belt for a very long time.

It would help if his competition were at least somewhat known. This past year, he has fought opponents who had less airtime than Jessica Penne. No one has had to carry a fight on their own like DJ, not even Ronda. That is why you cannot fairly compare his numbers to anyone else. The worst title challenger in any other division is still more popular than Chris Cariaso.

Another excellent point. I rank fighters in all division in terms of name value on my site. The disparity in popularity between the top two fighters in a division (in terms of %) is the 2nd greatest in the flyweight division and DJ ain't Ronda. http://mmadraws.blogspot.com/2015/07/mma-top-draw-sp-scores-as-at-july-29.html

Look at the top two in each division in terms of SP score:
HW:
Cain 57.3
JDS 39.2
46% higher. Champ (Werdum) has a 19.9

LH:
Rashad 55.7 (Jones is out of the rankings until he's reinstated)
Little Nog 28.1
98% higher. Champ (Cormier) has a 21.1

MW:
Anderson 100.0
Weidman 45.5
120% higher

WW:
Johny Hendricks 32.1
Robbie Lawler 31.6
2% higher

LW:
Cerrone 23.1
Nick Diaz 20.4
13% higher. Champ (RDA) has an 11.7

FT:
Conor 26.8
Aldo 24.0
12% higher

BW:
Barao 13.2
Cruz 12.5
6 % higher. Champ (TJ) has a 9.6

FL:
DJ 21.7
McCall 6.0
262% higher

Women's FT:
Cyborg 5.1
Coenen 1.5
240% higher

Women's BW:
Rousey 55.4 (this was before Aug 1. She's now at like 75)
Tate 11.4
386% higher

Women's FL:
Honchak 1.1
Hashi 1.0
10% higher

SW:
Herrig 3.4
Esparza 3.4
0% higher. Champ (JJ) has a 3.3

AW:
Tiburcio 0.6
Hamasaki 0.6
0% higher

people talk about MM but cain and werdum did comparable horrible numbers, given they are hw

ofc, cain's layoff did all the damage

It would sell a lot better if they built him up on free tv a bit more. Unfortunately, this past year has done nothing but hurt his Q score. I don't really know how to fix that. The UFC really fucked one of their most dominant champions who is likely going to hold that belt for a very long time.

Mighty Mouse just isn't going to sell ppvs.

The only Ufc fighters who do big numbers are superstars.

The Ufc doesn't build his opponents correctly but if MM was a star it wouldn't matter.

He does well as fox headliner. Hopefully he can be put back in that role after this next fight

Another excellent point. I rank fighters in all division in terms of name value on my site. The disparity in popularity between the top two fighters in a division (in terms of %) is the 2nd greatest in the flyweight division and DJ ain't Ronda. http://mmadraws.blogspot.com/2015/07/mma-top-draw-sp-scores-as-at-july-29.html

Look at the top two in each division in terms of SP score:

FL:
DJ 21.7
McCall 6.0
262% higher
and they didn't even go to PPV with Benavidez or McCall. They went with Bagautinov, Horiguchi, and Chris fucking Cariaso.

1392.gif

and they didn't even go to PPV with Benavidez or McCall. They went with Bagautinov, Horiguchi, and Chris fucking Cariaso.

1392.gif

With scores of 3.3, 3.6 and 3.8 respectively. And that's AFTER being in the main event of PPVs. Pretty sure Horiguchi and Bags were below 1.0 before their title shots.

PPV buys for the UFC this year have been based on luck

They got lucky Jones Cocaine test didn't prevent him from fighting
They got lucky Anderson didn't test positive till after the fight
They got lucky the Heavyweight belt was finally on the line
They got lucky Ronda doesn't need an opponent or card to sell and she hasn't been injured

Looking at it for what it really is......some weak cards, some no name main eventers, ungodly amounts of money spent on marketing, and clever use of over the hill fighters to provide "name" value to casual fans.

I've purchased less PPV's this year than any other in history.

Lol lucky that title was defended...

With scores of 3.3, 3.6 and 3.8 respectively. And that's AFTER being in the main event of PPVs. Pretty sure Horiguchi and Bags were below 1.0 before their title shots.
Not only that, but Bags and Horiguchi don't speak English so they couldn't do media or talk trash or whatever, and Cariaso was a lamb being led to the slaughter who did nothing to convince us that he had a chance in that fight.

I honestly believe that Joe Soto was more known than DJ's past three opponents.

Back